Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please?

When I bought my Hybrid I bought it to save on fuel. I have to say I am a little dissapointed in the economy and I wonder if anything is wrong with my hybrid.

We all know the hybrids have a 10 gallon tank for gas. Well, I can go about 400 miles on one tank, meaning I get 40 miles to the gallon. Furthermore, this is what my mpg display tells me when I am logging a trip, never over 41. I have never gotten OVER 41 miles to a gallon as recorded by the display.

So what gives? I had a 92 Honda Civic that got 40 miles to the gallon. Is something wrong with my Hybrid. I don't drive like a maniac and 30 miles of my 40 mile drive is on the highway where I use cruise control the entire time. Seems like I should get a lot better mpgs. The website says 48 mpg, I should be getting better.

Any ideas, what are you guys getting that have hybrids. Please let me know...

Thanks

Toby
Old 10-07-2004, 01:38 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (Tobias76)

there could be something wrong with your engine, but honestly i doubt it.

i often wonder what is going on with honda lately, because youre right... a NON-hybridized engine years ago produced by honda get the same, and in some cases BETTER mpg than these new hybrids. look at the civic VX for example. i think it was like 56mpg on the highway??? holy crap, when you compare that to the new hybrids, they get 0wn3d by older civics. kinda sad, but i think part of it may be emmisions crap, or else safety features. i really dont have an answer to your question, but i guess im saying i totally see your point.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (EK22snatch)

The new hondas are a bit heavier than those of previous years.
Plus Im guessing the electrical parts of your hybrid, ads a bit more wieght.
Check and see if your manual says how much that hybrid weighs and im sure there you will find your answer.

just my .02$
Old 10-07-2004, 02:28 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (mwieczorek43)

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking, but a couple hundred pounds doesnt account for 56mpg compared to 30's mpg. theres gotta be more to the story.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please?

my '96 lx 4door got 42 mpg, if the hybrids are getting worse than that, than thats crap
Old 10-08-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (xkwzt21)

cruise control also burns a little more gas than pedal driving. the motor has to work harder to keep up speed with hills up and down, etc.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (Tobias76)

I get like 43mpg on average with my '89 STD. That's both city and highway driving mixed together. But I also don't have power anything, no passenger side mirror, no a/c... The list goes on.

Maybe it's your driving style.

I straight creep.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (Blazin Si)

to the original poster-

you might be mis informed, but the Hybrid actually gets WORSE mileage on the freeway then it does around town! Crazy as it seems. This is why, if you do mostly city driving, the Hybrid is a better choice. But for highway driving, a VP model would probably get the same....

I think it's advertised at 48 city and 40-42 highway, or something like that.

Reason why is because of the IMA- Integrated Motor Assist. Around town, you are getting a lot of assist from the electric motor, whereas when crusing, around freeway etc, you are running strictly on the gas engine-hope this helps
Old 10-09-2004, 12:36 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when crusing, around freeway etc, you are running strictly on the gas engine-hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>
crazy... i never knew that.

dont you guys still think its weird though that a fully gasoline engine like the 94-95 VX's get 56 mpg on the highway? and it also gets 47 in the city? if honda only started creating these again, theyd have so many more buyers (i think).
Old 10-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (EK22snatch)

over 40 mph it kicks into gas power
Old 10-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tobias76 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We all know the hybrids have a 10 gallon tank for gas. Well, I can go about 400 miles on one tank, meaning I get 40 miles to the gallon. Furthermore, this is what my mpg display tells me when I am logging a trip, never over 41. I have never gotten OVER 41 miles to a gallon as recorded by the display.</TD></TR></TABLE>your saying your best is well over 40mpg, but the mpg you get from dividing your miles by the amount you filled is the most accurate average from the entire tank being 40. also to find your most precise average mpg per tank you should divide the amount of miles by the amount of gallons that went in at the fill up. this will be more accurate than just dividing by 10
Old 10-09-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please?

I get like 32 on my ex driving like a *** and a bit more driving normal. I have read somewhere that the hybred is a joke and the MPG they display were not their findings but the epa but thats how all car dealers rate their cars by epa. Look it up online if you get a chance, I will do a serch for old news articles. There was also something I do remember onthe news about owners of the hybred dont get good incentives where as if a owner of a H2 will get all the money back they paid for it if they own a business because its considered a farm equip. And some sort of law that has like 80%+ tax write off on it. But they do need to change laws for people like you that are not hurting the enviornment and buying a car like that. Go to the dealer and see what they say the real MPG is not EPA version or just do a yahoo search.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:53 PM

http://www.sierraclubplus.org/....html
Check these two articles if you want 100,000 back on your hummer.

WASHINGTON, DC -
In a private Rose Garden ceremony today, President Bush signed into law his heralded "Leave No Hummer Behind Bill." Following months of intense Capitol Hill lobbying, the Bush administration was finally able to secure a $100,000 tax deduction for Hummers and the other largest gas-guzzlers on the road as part of his "economic stimulus" package.

"In these times of uncertainty, we need to make sure that no Hummer is ever left behind," said President Bush. "My administration is committed to putting more of these gas-guzzling monsters on the road."

At the signing, President Bush was flanked by two Hummers that will be helped under the new program. Bruno, the yellow Hummer H2 from Scarsdale, NY, and Arnold, the teal Hummer H1 from Grosse Pointe, MI, portrayed the poignant need for this legislation. Both vehicles had been languishing on dealer lots for more than six months, with no potential buyers in sight. With the new assistance from the Bush administration, dealers feel confident that sticker shock will no longer be a problem. Despite the positive mood, a slight mishap occurred when President Bush went to hug the Hummers following the ceremony but was unable to get his arms around the hood.

Hummer dealers were elated following the ceremony. In a statement released by Hummer of Alaska, the dealership praised the Bush Administration for creating "a tax 'loophole' so big, you could drive a Hummer H2 though it!"
Old 10-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (cappa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cappa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.sierraclubplus.org/....html
Check these two articles if you want 100,000 back on your hummer.

WASHINGTON, DC -
In a private Rose Garden ceremony today, President Bush signed into law his heralded "Leave No Hummer Behind Bill." Following months of intense Capitol Hill lobbying, the Bush administration was finally able to secure a $100,000 tax deduction for Hummers and the other largest gas-guzzlers on the road as part of his "economic stimulus" package.

"In these times of uncertainty, we need to make sure that no Hummer is ever left behind," said President Bush. "My administration is committed to putting more of these gas-guzzling monsters on the road."

At the signing, President Bush was flanked by two Hummers that will be helped under the new program. Bruno, the yellow Hummer H2 from Scarsdale, NY, and Arnold, the teal Hummer H1 from Grosse Pointe, MI, portrayed the poignant need for this legislation. Both vehicles had been languishing on dealer lots for more than six months, with no potential buyers in sight. With the new assistance from the Bush administration, dealers feel confident that sticker shock will no longer be a problem. Despite the positive mood, a slight mishap occurred when President Bush went to hug the Hummers following the ceremony but was unable to get his arms around the hood.

Hummer dealers were elated following the ceremony. In a statement released by Hummer of Alaska, the dealership praised the Bush Administration for creating "a tax 'loophole' so big, you could drive a Hummer H2 though it!" </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL what does this have to do with Hybrid Civics???
Old 10-09-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (specv5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specv5150 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL what does this have to do with Hybrid Civics???
</TD></TR></TABLE>
the epa **** jacking #'s on the mpg on the hondas, and if you read the first post I made you will know where I was going with it,***

Modified by cappa at 4:15 PM 10/9/2004
Old 10-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Any Honda Civic Hybrid Owners out there? Can we compare mpgs please? (cappa)

try driving 50mph everywhere. I was under the impression that they made 80mpg thats what somebody I know claims to get.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 92 cx does 40-42mpg highway.

Prius does the same thing w/ mileage--60 city/51 hwy IIRC.

Try modifying your driving style maybe??? Smoother, more gentle inputs on the throttle and do 70-72 mph on the freeway. It could help.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tobias76 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I don't drive like a maniac and 30 miles of my 40 mile drive is on the highway where I use cruise control the entire time. Seems like I should get a lot better mpgs.
Toby</TD></TR></TABLE>
The more accessories you use the worse gas mileage... I dont know about an enormous impact cruise control is but there is an impact.