Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion
Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

any guides on how to install a car battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP me install a car battery!! Any guides???

I dont know much about cars but i need some help...
How do i install a car battery.

it was a VERY MEAN april fools jokes, because today when i couldnt start my car, i opened the hood, and there was a paper where the battery should be and it said APRIL FOOLS !

The battery is on the shelf though ....but see i feeel really dumb because i cant install it....like im not sure how i dont want it to explode...

any guides? or fast explanations?

EDIT: Vehicle is a honda civic 1996 dx
Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 AM

lol it was kinda late with the april fools jokes tooo

i usually drive a honda accord normally and today i was trying to start the civic for a change...i usually take it out for a change .....wow stupid me
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 AM

Any help?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 AM

o jeez, lol. I would say search, but i dont even know if that question has ever been heard here before! I will be merciful though.

READ ALL OF THIS FIRST, and then do it! POSITVE BEFORE NEGATIVE, read on to figure out what that means...

Make sure the keys are not in the ignition. In the area of where the battery goes, there will be two large wires with metal rings on the end that are just sitting there. These will attach to the two battery terminals or posts (metal things on top of the battery) Now here is the important part. The wires have to be on the right terminals. One wire is a ground wire, the other is a positive. Ground goes to the negative battery terminal (the terminal that has a "-" sign next to it) and the positive wire goes to the positive terminal (the terminal with the "+" next to it. The ground wire is black, and it should be by itself (no other wires attached to the metal ring). That ground wire goes from the negative "-" terminal and should go straight to the chassis (body) of the car. The other wire goes from the positive "+" battery terminal, and should attach to the engine.

Put the positive wire on first. Attach it to the positive battery terminal, and use a 10mm wrench or socket to tighten the metal ring around the terminal. Make sure that while you are doing this, that you do not touch the negative battery terminal, and that the negative wire and negative battery terminal do not make contact either, you can push the wire out of the way and make sure it stays there. Never touch both terminals of the battery. Once you have attached the positive wire, then you can attach the ground wire to the negative battery terminal using the same wrench. Same thing applies here, dont touch the positive wire or terminal, dont let your wrench make contact with both terminals, etc etc. Usually good to not touch the metal parts, and use the actual wire to move the them around, instead of the metal rings.
Hope that helps
Old 04-04-2006, 08:01 AM

Thank you very much for the reply!!!!!
I will go try installing the battery now.
If im not back in 15 minutes i am dead.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:05 AM

Default Re: (spaceman00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spaceman00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If im not back in 15 minutes i am dead.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, should have put a disclaimer... LOL
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sol2hatch)

at least after this you can tell people to search. I thought you did a pretty good write up.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 AM

ok so i connected the battery and screwed on the rings

how do i secure the battery

its so wiggly everywhere
should there be a metal bar over it, or do i somehow screw it on from the bottom or what?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 AM

Default Re: (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">at least after this you can tell people to search. I thought you did a pretty good write up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! lol, this thing should be stickied!! lol, JK JK
Old 04-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 2:40 PM 11/16/2006
Old 04-04-2006, 08:38 AM

yes, there should be a metal bar across the top, sorry, forget to mention that. It should be around there somewhere, it has two long metal pieces with a hook on the end, those hooks go under the little shelf that the battery sits on, there should be a little hole for them to go through. then there is a metal bar that goes over the top, and the other ends of the hooked screw things go through the holes on the metal bar. Then there are nuts on the threaded end of the hook things that you tighten down to hold the battery down. If you dont have those, use a bunch of zip ties or duct tape. LOL. Or find a pimpin JDM battery tie down. hahaha
Old 04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There should be a metal bar with two long hook looking things and nuts on top... the hooks go down into the battery tray bar runs inbetween the - and + terminals.

edit:
a little slow on this one I guess...
Old 04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, there should be a metal bar over it.

Part 2 goes over top of the battery while Part 3 (x2) holds it down. If you look at the tray that the battery is sitting in, you'll see a slot on each side (front/back) of it so that the hook portion of Part 3 has something to hook onto.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

I'd just like to say the level of help and kind, informative, non-flaming posts going on in here is starting to freak me out.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (miahmouse)

hahhaaha, flaming would have been too easy. I am not into flaming anyway. Flaming is for ****, LOL

I am however dissappointed that this question is getting more responses then mine, someone answer my damn post (or the one I jacked I guess)!!!!----&gt; https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1247615 I am tired of bumping it!