Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any DIY's on replacing rear struts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any DIY's on replacing rear struts?

Hey guys, i've been doing a back to stock transformation and swapped out some blowns truts for my eg. Anyway I replaced the fronts back to stock, which was easy. But the only thing is I haven't done the rear yet. Does anyone know of a DIY that coudl guide me through this?

From looking at the rear strut, (Haven't removed the rear wheel yet, no time). it looks like there is just 1 big bolt that goes through the bottom and then the 2 that are at the top. Is that all it is?

thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 06:08 AM
ballin

Default Re: Any DIY's on replacing rear struts? (The-Beast)

If you can do the fronts you can do the rear. The rears are much easier to me. from what i remember, You just pretty much unbolt it from the LCA, and the two nuts at the top and take it out.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any DIY's on replacing rear struts? (The-Beast)

You shouldn't really need a DIY for the rears if you have already done the fronts. It is pretty easy. You pretty much answered your own question <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From looking at the rear strut, (Haven't removed the rear wheel yet, no time). it looks like there is just 1 big bolt that goes through the bottom and then the 2 that are at the top. Is that all it is?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe that's all there is to it. I ended up unbolting one end of the control arm so i could slide the strut in and out of it's position easier. Hope this helped.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Any DIY's on replacing rear struts? (green00EX)

remove the two nuts holding the shock (your car doesn't have struts ) in the trunk. remove the bolt holding the shock to the lca, remove either the bolt holding the lca to the trailing arm (preferred) or the bolt holding it to the subframe. push the lca down and and slide it out.

also depending on how long it's been / what conditions your car sees, it's very likely that those lca bolts have siezed up. the one that attaches to the trailing arm especially. so you might have to torch the old bushing out and get new bolts and bushings from honda. it happens a lot, but i got lucky. when you're done, put antisieze on those bolts.