Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/any-benefit-using-heat-retardant-paint-short-ram-intake-399437/)

turbomonkeyexpress 01-28-2003 02:17 PM

any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake?

ive seen regular CAI's with heat shielding to keep the air colder on the way in, but on a cai, since it's inducting warmer air to begin with, does it matter that i shield it, and would i get higher performance from it, or is it just a lost casue? it seems that most people here that ive seen have the short ram intake over the whole CAI system.

steve_s 01-28-2003 02:18 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (turbomonkeyexpress)

My opinion on it is that it really doesnt matter. Your prob wont see any performance increase, if so it would be minimal.

Chris y0! 01-28-2003 02:19 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (steve_s)

waste of time to tape a short ram. try to sell the short ram and put your stock one back on and drop a K&N filter in it, it will perform better.

slvrcivic97 01-28-2003 02:22 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (Spoon Hybrid)

I honestly wrapped my whole cai in tin foil because I heard it lets 33% cooler air in??Anyways, I don't know if painting it will do anything but I guess it's worth a try.

turbomonkeyexpress 01-28-2003 02:28 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (slvrcivic97)

well, i havent baught an intake yet.. was thinking about it but not certian which to buy. dropping a k&n into my stock wont do a whole lot for me as it's still really restrictive at the opening.. though i could remove the resonator on down the line.. i think a short ram with a k&n will perfrom nicer and probably dress the engine a bit better aswell.

Chris y0! 01-28-2003 02:30 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (turbomonkeyexpress)

i think a short ram with a k&n will perfrom nicer and probably dress the engine a bit better aswell.
it wont. all short rams do is suck in hot air. atleast the stock intake pulls in cooler air. just save up for the CAI, its not that much more

tinkfist 01-28-2003 03:04 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (Spoon Hybrid)

even with the CAI, heat resistant or ceramic paint will do nothing. drive around for awhile with a CAI and then pop the hood and feel the intake pipe, it will be cold. the air does not have time to heat up.

peace.

Chris y0! 01-28-2003 03:05 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (tinkfist)

even with the CAI, heat resistant or ceramic paint will do nothing. drive around for awhile with a CAI and then pop the hood and feel the intake pipe, it will be cold. the air does not have time to heat up.

peace.
you want the intake to be hot. if it is cool, that means the air is absorbing the heat, not the intake.

Lord Helmet 01-28-2003 03:08 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (tinkfist)

peace.

I doubt that's true. I have both the short ram and the cai and both heat up the same. to tell people the cai is COLD to the touch is a lie. but besides that point the cai is still better because it does suck in cooler air then the short ram.

B_CRUZ! 01-28-2003 03:09 PM

i think a short ram with a k&n will perfrom nicer and probably dress the engine a bit better aswell.

--------------------
it wont. all short rams do is suck in hot air. atleast the stock intake pulls in cooler air. just save up for the CAI, its not that much more
not necessarily. I used to think this untill I bought a generic 3" diameter filter on a stick. I used a aluminum duct tubing from my clothes dryer. I noticed a big difference in the top end compared to the stock paper element with no resonator. I didn't want to shell out $70+ for a K&N replacement filter.

Also just for the hell of it. I vented my hood by raising up the rear of it after I did my swap a year ago.

Chris y0! 01-28-2003 03:18 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (B_Cruz)

I noticed a big difference in the top end compared to the stock paper element with no resonator.
sugar pill effect. even with a CAI you wouldn't see any gains on the butt dyno. all you would notice is throttle responce.

delslow94 01-28-2003 03:40 PM

i dont know about the whole intake pipe meaning the air is absorbing the heat...we tested a cold air with a temp gauge vs a stock box with the same gauge and it was considerably cooler...by as much as 20 degrees. aem and other manufacturers use ceramics and other materials to help keep temperatures down...i personally made 4 whp off my cai. that to me is worth it.

tinkfist 01-28-2003 03:51 PM

you want the intake to be hot. if it is cool, that means the air is absorbing the heat, not the intake.
this makes no sense whatsoever. you have your thermodynamics backwards.

peace.

B_CRUZ! 01-28-2003 03:57 PM

I noticed a big difference in the top end compared to the stock paper element with no resonator.

sugar pill effect. even with a CAI you wouldn't see any gains on the butt dyno. all you would notice is throttle responce.
trust me I used to be just like you... My B18C needs air and my stock paper element civic filter was not enough. I don't see my self spending $70+ up for a K&N replacement filter when I can buy a generic 3" mandrel bent intake plus filter for $30.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

turbomonkeyexpress 01-28-2003 04:25 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (B_Cruz)

im more of a throttle response guy... as long as i can get off the block's quicker, im happy. im getting mixed signals here about the whole intake deal but what im gathering is that i should probably save my money and get a CAI (with water injestion valve) ?? what about an AEM V2? anyone have a testiment on that and are they available for the 94 delsol yet?

tominos 01-28-2003 04:53 PM

you don't need the water kit, unless you drive in an area with a foot of standing water. remember, the intake has to be completely submerged for the intake to suck up the air and hydrolock the engine.

turbomonkeyexpress 01-28-2003 05:08 PM

Re: any benefit from using heat retardant paint on a Short ram intake? (tominos)

wisconsin count?