Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

any auto to manual swaps out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any auto to manual swaps out there?

hey i am new and i have a 97 civicex d16y8 vtec automatic.
i want to go to manual with the future plans of a bseries swap. do i have to do a d-type tranny now, and a b-type later?
suggestions, jokes, snide remarks and tech support is appreciated.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any auto to manual swaps out there? (beginnerCivic)

ok, if youre going to do a manual tranny swap now, you have to go with the d-series tranny because b and d series transsmissions are not interchangeable. somewhere on this board there has got to be a write-up on how this is done. use this link:

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

hope that helps you out!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wait till you can afford a b-series to do the auto-manual. A b-series tranny won't bolt up to your engine, so you would need to get the d16y8(EX) tranny.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 AM

Default Re: any auto to manual swaps out there? (d16eh2)

okay guys thanks that is what i was thinking. i have not done any engine work but i figured as much. but should i be looking for parts that are universal to this swap if there are any? like a three pedal assem. and slave cylynder mastercylinder and such? please keep doing let me know ok?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:22 AM

Buy a new Car (manual)
Old 08-21-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also a cluster that you will need later on went you do the swap . unless that you would like looking at the old one ...

.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beginnerCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay guys thanks that is what i was thinking. i have not done any engine work but i figured as much. but should i be looking for parts that are universal to this swap if there are any? like a three pedal assem. and slave cylynder mastercylinder and such? please keep doing let me know ok? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-21-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oOP3T3ROo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oOP3T3ROo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Buy a new Car (manual)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hate when people say **** like this..get tha fawk outta here newb!!

anyways..if you're planning on getting a b-series swap wait until then to do it....it's alot simpler doing the auto to manual swap on the 6th gen cuz there is no welding of the tranny bracket or special mount for the tranny like needed for the 5th gen civics. Here's a break down list of what is needed:

Pedal assembly from a manual- gas, brake and clutch pedal
Clutch Master Cylinder
Hydrolic lines that run from the clutch master cylinder all the way to the slave master cylinder.
Slave master cylinder(usually comes with the tranny when buying a swap)
B-series motor and manual tranny(of course)
These will vary depending on what motor you get:
axles
shift linkage, shifter and ****
mounts-(2 lower torque mounts, tranny mount, timing belt side mount, rear mount)
Manual ECU
THen there is some wiring..very easy to do. I'll continue with another post.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Re: (95hbMatt)

5 speed transmission –DONE-
shifter –Done-
shift linkage –Done-
manual ECU (Has to Be 99-00 DX 5 Speed)
manual starter –Done-
flywheel
hydraulic lines
clutch (pressure plate, disc)
pedal assembly
clutch master cylinder
slave cylinder
shift **** –Done-
shift boot -Done-
Front Tranny Bracket
miscellaneous nuts and bolts

Im working on mine, got a few parts, need some more ;(
Old 08-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95hbMatt)

There are two switches on the clutches, but I opted not to use them. If you want you can wire them in. I will tell you later on in this little write up.
First, detach the shifter cable from the auto shifter and the tranny and pull it out. Then remove the auto shifter. Yay!
Then you need to cut out the cable guide. I just bought aluminum and covered up the gaping hole.

Now drill two holes for the shifter stabilizer holder, called a rubber extension mounting (#16) @ http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=SHIFT+LEVER and I used a piece of aluminum for strength where it bolts up.

Now everything will bolt right up. Attach the shifter to the little rod sticking out of the tranny, attach the shifter stabilizer rod (#13){ from the HAP link above} to the tranny, and bolt up the rubber stabilizer holder.
Now for the wires. Remember, these color codes are for a 99 civic lx.
Yours might be different. A Helms manual will help a lot.
There is a big plug that connects to the shifter assembly.

What you need to do is cut the plug from the auto shifter assembly, and leave about 5 inches of wire.
There are two really fat wires. This is so that you can start the car. You will need to connect these two together. Or what you can do is, run these wires to the switch on the clutch pedal assembly.
Then there is a black wire you will need to connect to a green wire with a white stripe. This puts the car in “park” so you can take the key out. Now you can also hook this up to the other switch on the clutch pedal, but remember everytime you want to take your key out, you have to press the clutch.
Finally, you need to find out what plug you used on the engine wiring harness to hook up to your reverse sensor on the manual transmission.
Find out what colors they are, and find the colors on one of the ECU plugs. Run these two wires to the yellow wire and a green wire with black stripe at the big plug that you cut off from the auto shifter. Now your reverse lights should work.
Hopefully this made it easier on you, and not confused you.
If you need anything else, pm me or email me.

I did an auto to manual swap on my 5th gen...very easy to do! Look at my sig for pics.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Quad-Damge)

too much work for any car, but looks like you know what your doing. so good for you.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:19 AM

its not hard but a pain in the *** if you ask me. i just did one on my buddys car.... i think it woulda been alot eaiser if we'da just took out the motor, and didnt have to lay in gravel.

BTW: if you want a speedometer than you need a 5spd engine wiring harness cause auto and standard speed sensors ARE not the same, i speak from experience on my car (the LS longblock was from an auto and came w/ a auto harness, i have to put my GSR harness on it) and my buddys
Old 08-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (88hondahatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 88hondahatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not hard but a pain in the *** if you ask me. i just did one on my buddys car.... i think it woulda been alot eaiser if we'da just took out the motor, and didnt have to lay in gravel.

BTW: if you want a speedometer than you need a 5spd engine wiring harness cause auto and standard speed sensors ARE not the same, i speak from experience on my car (the LS longblock was from an auto and came w/ a auto harness, i have to put my GSR harness on it) and my buddys </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or you can just use the VSS off of your sohc motor...save you money!