Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any advice where to grind?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice where to grind?

I have a 99 4dr civic stock. i have rust in the inside fender 'lip' or rim thats right across or by from the corner of the rear passenger side door. I see that there is some rust inbetween the fender skin metal and the metal behind it. i am wondering, should i grind off the metal of the fender and get to the rust and remove it that way and then bondo the rest when i am done grinding that metal away or what would anyone reccomend doing?

I found this out by sanding down part of the rim that bends into the fender and a ***** i was able to take off becuse it was all rust so thres a cnunk out of that right now. any info would be helpful

Modified by silentblackhat at 1:47 AM 4/18/2005
Old 04-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Meh I've never messed with rust. I saw a post the other day where someone had rust on the door and was told to just replace the door. From what I've gathered rust is a problem that won't go away too easy once it starts.

You might wanna search around to see what others have said about stopping it. I don't know if grinding it is a good idea because i'm pretty sure the metal is coated so it doesn't rust, and if you grind it too much you'll just uncoat more metal.

But again, I haven't read much on rust because I've never had to deal with it. Try searching through other people's topics on it.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: (Jorsher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jorsher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You might wanna search around to see what others have said about stopping it. I don't know if grinding it is a good idea because i'm pretty sure the metal is coated so it doesn't rust, and if you grind it too much you'll just uncoat more metal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Iv read on alot of websites that u need to grind it down to the metal and then start from there. iv read posts that like on the middle of fenders that theres a hole then u need a plate welded in but this is on the skin of the fender where there is body behind it. What im thinking is that I should grind the fender part away sincd its rusting behind that and then when i grind all the rusted parts away then i could bondo it and then get it painted. the rust that is on the car stuff is parely rusting through the metal but never the less it is little specs through the metal. its like a sandwich wit hthe rust between in a small spot but not all over the fender. its just on the part where its towards the bottom of the curve of the fender well.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (silentblackhat)

if your asking where to cut, i'm getting the feeling this is over your head. I would take it to a shop, your just gonna **** **** up and pay more to get your fuckup fixed
Old 04-18-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your asking where to cut, i'm getting the feeling this is over your head. I would take it to a shop, your just gonna **** **** up and pay more to get your fuckup fixed</TD></TR></TABLE>
that stuff has to come off anyways the rust is through the metal on there
Old 04-18-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Re: (silentblackhat)

I would just start grinding away the rust. Once you get all the rust I'd put some metal conditioner/anti-rust stuff. I've seen ads for it on HT. Then I'd bondo back what you took off, then paint it. Make sure you get all of the rust, or else it'll all start over again.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Any advice where to grind? (silentblackhat)

I just went to a body shop and they told me exactly how they would fix it so its prety easy but time consuming. they siad they would grind all that rust stuff off and then weld sheet metal pieces in place of the fender part and then smooth it all out
Old 04-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im having this problem too but the plastic clip which holds the bumper on has fallen off..

My Honda has cancer
Old 04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you will have to cut and weld a new lip. you should have a shop do it, if you never done it before.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silentblackhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just went to a body shop and they told me exactly how they would fix it so its prety easy but time consuming. they siad they would grind all that rust stuff off and then weld sheet metal pieces in place of the fender part and then smooth it all out</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did they say anything about putting any anti-rust stuff on it?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Any advice where to grind? (nota-ex)

wel he didnt go into every exact detail but they basically told me how they would do it. its a good place to get stuff done at. what type of antirust stuff does everyone reccomend? i have the rustoleum primer that has rust preventitive in it but i was also looking around to see whate else there is 2 put on it. I also read that to help stop it from comming back u can use that Naval jelly stuff on it since it is phosphoric acid and will react with the metal to make an anti rust compound also

when i get to grinding it all, im gonna get every last bit of rust so it will hae a less of a chance of comming back also
Old 04-18-2005, 09:01 PM
* B A N N E D *

you live in kansas and this civic is a 1999? Howd you get rust already?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Any advice where to grind? (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you live in kansas and this civic is a 1999? Howd you get rust already?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The person b4 me never took off the rubber guard along the iside of the fender so when i took it off to clean it, it was rusty
Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 PM

What type of sheet metal should I use for the fender part that i grind off? i found some Zinc sheet metal that wouldnt rust but ifk if i should use that or steel