Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever?

Im getting some rotors for my EJ6...and theres an option that for 10-15 bucks each...not sure exact price, they can make them all black from the factors....not just the inside but the actual part where the pads touch too

any advantage to this whatsoever ... or just looks?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever? (spaceman00)

??
Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever? (spaceman00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spaceman00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im getting some rotors for my EJ6...and theres an option that for 10-15 bucks each...not sure exact price, they can make them all black from the factors....not just the inside but the actual part where the pads touch too

any advantage to this whatsoever ... or just looks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

never heard of rotors being machined black....just get them resurfaced which cost roughly $16 or so for the front rotors.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever? (bmoua)

yesyes thats what im meant resurfaced black what would the advantage be?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks
Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (SkyliteCP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyliteCP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would seem like you have hella expensive carbon rotors.

Then the pads would wear some of the anodizing off and it would be clear to the world that you have regular steel rotors.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

and then when they wear down and you get the rotors turned instead of buying new ones, they'll take off whatever black might remain anyways. Good luck with that
Old 05-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (dr92cx)

Bottom line, be normal and buy new rotors and keep them "steel" looking.

I wouldn't want anything between my pads and rotors except air.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Hmm stilll deciding lol

kinda want the black lol
Old 05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spaceman00)

please, no.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (ke98248)

"Hmm, I wonder If I could put grass and peanut butter in between my brake pads and rotors..."

Much less anything.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Hmm, I wonder If I could put grass and peanut butter in between my brake pads and rotors..."

Much less anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have to agree, they have to put somethig on the metal to create this look unless it was fabricated this way when the rotor was created. I would not advise adding somethin to the surface of your rotor since they are what make your car stop. If they anodize the rotor I guess hat is not so bad but I cant see it happening or lasting more than a few braking cycles.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Civicman86)

^^ and the anodizing still puts "something" in between my steel of my rotors and the material on my rotor. Which is not what the pad was designed to chew on.

I'm surprised the "blackening" of a rotor is legal.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Darth ModerVader

Can you provide a link to exactly what you're talking about? I think you're a bit confused, and any coating that is applied to the rotors would be primarily to prevent rust and improve appearance. The coating shouldn't be applied to the friction surfaces.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever? (Padawan)

But most of the rotor is the friction surface and is exposed to the elements all the time. What could you coat it with that doesn't affect friction between the pad and rotor?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ and the anodizing still puts "something" in between my steel of my rotors and the material on my rotor. Which is not what the pad was designed to chew on.

I'm surprised the "blackening" of a rotor is legal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm I didnt knwo that, I always thought it actually penetrated the metal. I guess thats what I get for assuming stuff I have never really looked into lol.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmmm I didnt knwo that, I always thought it actually penetrated the metal. I guess thats what I get for assuming stuff I have never really looked into lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it's forged/cast that way. I'm just throwing out guesses here.

The only black rotor I've heard of are the Formula one rotors which are a carbon/alloy something rotor.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever? (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But most of the rotor is the friction surface and is exposed to the elements all the time. What could you coat it with that doesn't affect friction between the pad and rotor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Zinc is a commonly used treatment for brake rotors, but it would quickly wear off in any spots that are contacted by the pads, and it isn't black. If it's some sort of powdercoat or paint, I wouldn't want it on the friction surfaces at all, and I doubt very much if any vendor would sell the rotors that way.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think either way if the rotor was not made that was from the factory by either being carbon or somehow using a dye in the metal, then your risking the integrity of the braking system. Its really not worth having bad brakes just so you can look good. That and whatever is put on the rotor will come off when the pad hits it anyways.

And just to spread knowledge

Anodizing, or anodising, is a technique used to coat the surface of a metal with an oxide layer. It may be used to increase corrosion resistance, increase wear resistance, allow dyeing or prepare the surface for other processes and coatings including paint. Anodization changes the microscopic texture of the surface and can change the crystal structure of the metal near the surface. The process derives its name from the fact that the part to be treated forms the anode portion of an electrical circuit in this electrolytic process.

Anodization is frequently used to protect aluminium and titanium from abrasion and corrosion and to allow it to be dyed in a wide range of colors.

It does add a layer to the surface so it would be uselesss in the case. Oh and the info is from wikipedia.com.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Any advatage at all for getting your rotors machined black or watever? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you provide a link to exactly what you're talking about? I think you're a bit confused, and any coating that is applied to the rotors would be primarily to prevent rust and improve appearance. The coating shouldn't be applied to the friction surfaces. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Darth ModerVader

Okay, yes. That's somewhat similar to zinc coating, and it will quickly wear off the friction surfaces. It's intended to help protect against corrosion, and to improve the aesthetics of the rotors. Personally, I'd pass on those altogether, and spend the money on good pads and some AutoZone or Brembo blanks.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, yes. That's somewhat similar to zinc coating, and it will quickly wear off the friction surfaces. It's intended to help protect against corrosion, and to improve the aesthetics of the rotors. Personally, I'd pass on those altogether, and spend the money on good pads and some AutoZone or Brembo blanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. Though the black and gold ones look cool, they won't look that good after a few thousand miles.

Maybe if I had a show car.