Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Antifreeze reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze reservoir

Hi. I have a 99 Civic DX and I checked the antifreeze reservoir today and it was just below the MINIMUM mark in the reservoir . Do I just refill the reservoir or do I need to do a complete flush of the radiator?

Also, what kind of antifreeze should I buy(Honda or aftermarket brands)?

Recently I replace the water pump and timing belt. The mechanic told me they added some universal antifreeze since there was some lost when the water pump was replaced.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Antifreeze reservoir (globy123)

If the engine is cold, the lower line is the cold full line. the upper line is the hot full line.

If you need to add just add a 50/50 mix of any green anti-freeze. 50% water 50% anti-freeze. you don't need to be exact...

Buy your anti-freeze from Walmart or some store like that, it's all the same. Same with your motor oil. I use Mobil 5000 in my turbo charge 05 Subaru Legacy GT $9.00 for 5 quarts.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Antifreeze reservoir (1992Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the engine is cold, the lower line is the cold full line. the upper line is the hot full line.

If you need to add just add a 50/50 mix of any green anti-freeze. 50% water 50% anti-freeze. you don't need to be exact...

Buy your anti-freeze from Walmart or some store like that, it's all the same. Same with your motor oil. I use Mobil 5000 in my turbo charge 05 Subaru Legacy GT $9.00 for 5 quarts.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree with him on everything except using wal-mart oil. Though wal-mart coolant is fine (in the south where it doesn't get cold pple can get away with water).

Though on everything else: Agreed

Make sure it's hot and ur reading the top mark, or cold and ur reading the bottom mark.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Antifreeze reservoir (Syndacate)

So when the engine is hot it should be at the Maximum line in the collant reservoir and when the engine is cold it should be at the Minimum line in the reservoir. Am I right?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by globy123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So when the engine is hot it should be at the Maximum line in the collant reservoir and when the engine is cold it should be at the Minimum line in the reservoir. Am I right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. if your going to fill it when it's hot, fill it to the maximum line. if it's cold, fill to the minimum.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Agree with him on everything except using wal-mart oil. Though wal-mart coolant is fine (in the south where it doesn't get cold pple can get away with water).

Though on everything else: Agreed

Make sure it's hot and ur reading the top mark, or cold and ur reading the bottom mark.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he's talking about buying brand name oil at Wal Mart because it's cheaper. Also, using straight water is a big no no! It can corrode the cooling system.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:26 AM

I would first make sure you are not leaking any coolant. Let the car idle until it gets up to normal operating temp. This will build up pressure in the cooling system and will then make a leak, if any, noticeable. I personally am very picky about what goes into my engine. I always use OEM stuff. A gallon of HONDA coolant isn't much more than aftermarket stuff. When topping off just ensure you don't go over the max line. When the engine gets warm, it builds pressure. The coolant has to go somewhere besides leak. Thats what the reservoir is there for.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Antifreeze reservoir (bakertime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bakertime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think he's talking about buying brand name oil at Wal Mart because it's cheaper. Also, using straight water is a big no no! It can corrode the cooling system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I hear it's a "no" quite often - only problem is I've seen it done successfully way too many times. I certainly can't use it b/c I live in NY, I use 50/50 - but some people have used without problems, but I can't speak for them.

As far as getting oil from wal-mart, that's NOT wal-mart brand, HELL YEAH - I buy Mobil 1 in the 5 qt jugs there and it's an ***-ton cheaper then any auto parts store.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr90CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would first make sure you are not leaking any coolant. Let the car idle until it gets up to normal operating temp. This will build up pressure in the cooling system and will then make a leak, if any, noticeable. I personally am very picky about what goes into my engine. I always use OEM stuff. A gallon of HONDA coolant isn't much more than aftermarket stuff. When topping off just ensure you don't go over the max line. When the engine gets warm, it builds pressure. The coolant has to go somewhere besides leak. Thats what the reservoir is there for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He has to make sure it's full first, before observing whether it's leaking or not.

I had a cap on my '96-'00 - and I'm assuming this happens to more than me since the cap was designed like **** (opposed to the '92-'95 which screwed on) where it kept leaking out of the cap over bumps 'n such - no visible leakage - but it was def. going someplace. Put a '92-95 reservoir in there (with some forcing and bending of th bracket) and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 AM

bumpppp
Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the car have to be running when you check the maximum line when the engine is hot?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. typically you can run it until it's up to temp, shut it off and check/fill it. just DON'T TAKE OFF THE RAD CAP!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Antifreeze reservoir (kp)

The antifreeze level in the reservoir does not change whether the engine is hot or cold. It stays at the minimum mark. Is this bad? What should I do? Should I fill it up to the max line?