Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc.

Note: I tried searching, but I couldn't find much info.

I vaguely remember a thread about car security and it had a list of things you could do to keep your car safe, I think B18C5-EH2 posted the list... not sure if he was the thread starter though.

With all the car jacking recently (my car on 5/31 , then Team Skoooooo~'s! [damn that was a nice hatch.. ]), I'd like to know some things I could do to safeguard my car.

Some things I can think of:
1. Club
2. Alarm (have to trust place of installation, still able to bypass)
3. LoJack (expensive)
4. Taking out ECU/Ignition fuse... can't you just put something metal like a paperclip or a fork in the slot to draw current?
5. Taking the entire ECU out... tedious but worth it

My car had one of those chip thingies where in order for it to start, it had to be in the slot. It was on my keychain at the time it was stolen so I don't think they work too well.

Also, how do you rig your hood release so that people can't yank it from outside the car? I think that was on the thread a long time ago. Please help!

Also, please throw any and all of your ideas out there!

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (shiznattik)

my coupe was an easy score for a blind man to jack..i replaced it with a eclipse GT..w/an alarm, chip d key..and lojack..and park the car in the garage at nites now with my daughters tempo and wifes volvo in the drive way..by time they get to my car ill have gotten my other anti theft devise..a 29" baseball bat
Old 06-18-2002, 07:10 PM
Trial User

Some things I can think of:
1. Club
2. Alarm (have to trust place of installation, still able to bypass)
3. LoJack (expensive)
4. Taking out ECU/Ignition fuse... can't you just put something metal like a paperclip or a fork in the slot to draw current?
5. Taking the entire ECU out... tedious but worth it
ive got a viper alarm w/ backup battery and siren along w/ a few little extras that keep people away but lately ive thought about lojack..

how many people have it? is it worth it? how hard is it for a thief to find it in the car and get rid of it?? i mean once a thief finds the lojack there is no way they can trace your car if they destroy it, right??

if i knew that it was completly full proof i would have had it already..

also one thing that helps me is that i live in a suburban area w/ bitchy neighbors that will call the cops for anything and im usally up late at night and or people are always at my crib chillen thank god my mom is cool w/ letting my park in the driveway.. but this only helps if my car is at home..
Old 06-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (95CivicEX)

i have an alarm and some stuff i cant go into details to stop thieves, or to slow em down, just be creative. what about 2 autolocks 1 for the brake and clutch.LOL. I have Lojack and i dont really rely on it. I've had two friends both with 00 SIs equipted w/ Lojack and both they're cars got jacked. one car was found stripped all the way and the other was never ever seen again.... : (

Old 06-19-2002, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (silversleeper)

alarms do nothing. i have one, but my car was broken into, only thing that saved my *** was having the ecu out of the car.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:50 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (silversleeper)

i have an alarm and some stuff i cant go into details to stop thieves, or to slow em down, just be creative. what about 2 autolocks 1 for the brake and clutch.LOL. I have Lojack and i dont really rely on it. I've had two friends both with 00 SIs equipted w/ Lojack and both they're cars got jacked. one car was found stripped all the way and the other was never ever seen again.... : (
stories like that are what make me think twice about getting lojack.. you always seem to hear the good stories first and then you hear about the people that did get there car stolen and didnt get it back in time like lojack says..
Old 06-19-2002, 05:42 AM
DSC

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (95CivicEX)

I got my hood cable moved. And I purchased hood locks. Havent installed them yet though. I dont wanna drill into my hood Gonna get a "professional" to do it so if the *** up I can yell at them.
Alarm with starter kill.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (DSC)

DSC, did you have to pay to have your hood cable moved? If so, how much did it cost, and is it out of reach of a crowbar or whatever it is that they use to unlatch the hood?

Do you think it can be done as a DIY?

Yeah I am also thinking of getting some hood locks.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 06-21-2002, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The best theft device is full coverage insurance. If it's a pro and they want your car it's gone
Old 06-21-2002, 10:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (Halo)

A rabid pit bull works well I hear
Club type **** suck, you can saw through the wheel in 5 seconds
stock looks with an odometer that says 350000 is good
Can anybody tell me how to tell if my alarm was installed good enough?
I mean anybody can yank out the siren right?
Old 06-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Future Texas Boy

I just purchased a Momo w/ a quick release hub. Keep my car in the garage, put the monster truck in front of the garage. You can`t even get into the engine bay w/out a 6 foot ladder

Ryan
Old 06-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (cj7420)

A rabid pit bull works well I hear
Club type **** suck, you can saw through the wheel in 5 seconds
stock looks with an odometer that says 350000 is good
Can anybody tell me how to tell if my alarm was installed good enough?
I mean anybody can yank out the siren right?
What makes any alarm good or not is not so much the alarm, but how well the brain is hidden. You can IM me and I will tell you a good place to mount the brain. But even after all that any alarm can still be bypassed. I read some crazy news story today about these 2 russian guys who jacked cars for a living in los angeles. The guys were saying how they would scout out the Rolls and Porsche's for weeks and figure out peoples routines and strike when they were vulnerable, like with a tow truck....I wish I could catch those guys and use there heads for target practice
Old 06-21-2002, 11:19 PM

IMO lo jacks are too exspensive and plus i dont think they are that effective because by the time you report the car stolen, the thiefs are already done stripping your car and has already dumped your car somewhere else. Alot of people i kno have Kill Switches and an alarm hood pin (i think thats what its called). I think the anti-thef lock is good, the one where you lock your brakes or the clutch. And make sure you park your car really close to an object like a wall or a car in infront of you so jackers can't pop your hook from the outside to disconnect your Battery and alarm.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (StevenTran305)

living in NYC, break in's were something I was having to deal with about every 3 months. Since I park on street, alarms are not an option. I came up with this.

My homebrewed deadbolt system:

Deadbolt unlocked

Deadbolt locked

Hole in the door sill that the bolts slide into

The whole system is nothing more than a power door lock kit from JC Whitney, 1/2" threaded tube for the bolt guide, (4) brass nuts to attach it to the door and 3/8" steel rod for the bolts.

Ok, it doesn't prevent someone from breaking the window, but I'm, preventing small time radio thiefs and idiot vandals from screwing with thecar any more, and that was really the problem. Even if someone wanted the car, they've still gotta crawl in, over a broken window, then deal with my club because you can only release the bolts with the remote. I do have manual releases hidden in case the battery ever goes dead though, but no one would ever find them.
Old 06-22-2002, 05:41 AM
Xsi
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (94CivicSi)

Good idea dude
Is it hooked up to your central locking motors or are they separate?
I'm going to swap my DA6 door handles for rear DA8 ones with no keyhole. Might make some bonnet and boot locks too.
And if I'm leaving it outside I take my blaster2 coil wire with me too.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The best theft device is full coverage insurance. If it's a pro and they want your car it's gone
yep.

only the high end alarms will keep your car in place (ones with multiple kills/cutoffs) from most of the decent thieves. Alarms that only make noise are just a neusance. But like halo said, if they want it that bad, they're gonna get it. There is no substitute for good insurance, and if you have to pay a little extra for them to cover your mods, for gods sake do it.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (miahmouse)

yep.

only the high end alarms will keep your car in place (ones with multiple kills/cutoffs) from most of the decent thieves. Alarms that only make noise are just a neusance. But like halo said, if they want it that bad, they're gonna get it. There is no substitute for good insurance, and if you have to pay a little extra for them to cover your mods, for gods sake do it.
and if you get a good alarm and follow all their rules a lot of the times they'll pay you if you car get stolen too, it's never much but hey it's something
Old 06-22-2002, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (Mrfirefox)

check out these cool clubs:
steering wheel/brake pedal lock

your normal steering wheel lock

then there is the shifter lock(my favorite)

steering wheel lock and airbag protector

and your "sure safe" lock

[Modified by WishIHadANiceCarToo, 7:35 PM 6/22/2002]
Old 06-22-2002, 10:54 AM

I like your idea/invention of the deadbolt system, 94civicsi
Old 06-22-2002, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (WishIHadANiceCarToo)

check out these cool clubs:
then there is the shifter lock(my favorite)

[Modified by WishIHadANiceCarToo, 7:35 PM 6/22/2002]
Is that club effective towards manual cars? Can't you juss unscrew the shift **** and then take out the club?
Old 06-22-2002, 11:34 AM
New User

hey 94civicsi, how did you install that deadbolt system? i am very interested in trying to create one myself, considering that my homeboy's car was stripped in a movie theater, while he was watching a movie(thats some ****, about 4k worth of interior was stolen).
Old 06-22-2002, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (StevenTran305)

Is that club effective towards manual cars? Can't you juss unscrew the shift **** and then take out the club?
you can use a regular club like that (in between the shifter and e-brake).

then put the end of the club in the location where a cd player COULD go (mainly 96+ civics). that way, even if they took the shift *** off, they still couldnt pull it up.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (ridge racer 2)

autolock is better over the clutch since you can just use the ebrake to slow down.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:36 PM

I've had my Civic broken into twice here in Vegas. The first time they ripped out my door handle on both doors, second time was with a slim jim. Each time my car was not stolen because of the AUTOLOCK. It's the device that locks to your clutch. Sure there was damage to the car from the bastards getting into the car, but at least my baby was still there each time. Oh, and my clutch pedal was bent up a bit from them trying to get the auto lock off, but nothing I couldn't bend back into place.

[Modified by VegasVTEC, 1:37 PM 6/22/2002]
Old 06-22-2002, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc. (ridge racer 2)

Alarms are no good cause using a car battery and cables you can touch the radiator support and short them
Aren't there methods to protect against this?

Quick Reply: Anti-Theft devices, alarms, etc.