Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ANTI-Theft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANTI-Theft?

Hey,

So I'm looking to upgrade my anti theft system after seriously investing some money into my car, Currently all it has is an alarm that goes beep really loud. What kinda of anti theft systems would you recommended ive researched viper but it seems a little overpriced, Also what kinda in car lock is best steering wheel? or pedel steering wheel combo

thanks for all your help
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ANTI-Theft?

There is no such thing as an over priced security system. Ideally, you'll have a garage to park your car in at night. Other than that, you'll have at least one if not two ignition/fuel cutoffs, as well as impact, proximity, tilt, door, trunk, and hood sensors with a 2 way pager style remote.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
There is no such thing as an over priced security system.
X2
If you spent a substantial amount of money on making your car look nice or fast why not spend a little extra money to make sure it's going to always be yours and not some lowlife thief?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 94 Integra GSR, it got to the point where I sold/parted the car out because it was insane on what I had to do to start my own car. But, I have been followed home, tow trucks went past my house in the middle of the night.

I had a Viper pager alarm, duel sirens with a backup battery. I removed the fuse for my powerdoor locks so they couldn't pop them with the window frame trick. I relocated my hood release cable. I had a motion sensor under the ebrake, another in the trunk. I had a hood pin. I had an autolock for the clutch, and brake pedal locked together with a bicycle lock as well. It had a club for the steering wheel as well. I took out the ECU fuse as well. I had purchased a $280 83 Monte Carlo to park in front of it at night. I also chained the GSR to the Monte as well (by the tow hooks) I kept my Integra covered at all times.

I never took my car to a movie theatre, mall, store (that I'd be more than 5 minutes) I never took it anywhere I couldn't see it.

EDIT: How could I forget the Clifford Blackjax anti car jacking security system. Anytime the door was opened you had to enter a 4 digit pin on a small hidden pad, if not the car would shout off and sound the alarm and flash the lights. If you found the blackjax and ripped it out the car will still not start. SO if you are at a light and someone puts a gun to your head, you get out. they drive for 30 seconds and the car shuts off. If they steal it from your driveway while you are sleeping the same thing. Basically my car needed a tow truck to be stolen, but I'd hear the alarm.
Here she is uncovered after a snowstorm

THe blocker
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a link for the blackjax
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-5-909505.html

You can never do enough, or spend enough to keep your car safe. It sucks when you don't own a garage and have cars that everyone wants to steal. I'm out of the game so if I happen to hook up my Civic I don't think I'll have as much problems, but the autolocks and blackjax will be installed.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol buying a beater to park in front of your car is probably the cheapest and best way for anti theft.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clubs really only possibly detour theft. If they want the car and see the club, they will honestly laugh cause they are so easy to break.

Lojack is where its at. $695 for the basic gps tracking/notification/cops go get your car within 24 hrs or your money back. Thats what I have and its the best added peace of mind.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clubs are another layer. They do help because if they have to get past a screaming alarm, backup battery, find a kill switch, they won't want to bother cutting off a club and a pedal lock.

It's all about layers, not just one thing. THe more you have the less likely they are to steal it. I do agree, that if they want it they will get it. People get killed over this ****. It's so stupid. Lo-jack is good, you can also get a hidden GPS so you can personally track your car.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hidden kill switch, quick realese steering wheel and hub, viper alarm, and parking boot
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick release steering wheel takes away the airbag that can potentially save your life. Not a good idea.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lowjack is NOT where it's at. If you checked the A&S forum you'll see the many complaints people have made about it. GPS tracking is where it's at. Multiple layers of security is where it's at. Even better, someone needs to get a consumer level of the systems they use on bait cars. Getting the cheapest crap you can is NOT where it's at. I never understand when people sink hundreds and thousands into a car and turn into Scrooge McDuck when it's time to secure it. Yeah, this $50 club will keep my car safe.

Removing the airbag steering wheel may not be a good idea but even the airbag, IN SOME INSTANCES, could kill you just as easily.

This discussion is old and tired.

Cheap out on security and experience that sinking feeling when you go to drive it and it's gone. Invest in layers of security and you'll keep your car longer than anyone that did not.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fnix
lol buying a beater to park in front of your car is probably the cheapest and best way for anti theft.
Best way to keep the whole car from being stolen, not the best way to keep someone from breaking into your car and stealing all of the parts out of it. I've seen a team of 6 people strip an entire car, minus the block, in an hour.

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
Lojack is where its at. $695 for the basic gps tracking/notification/cops go get your car within 24 hrs or your money back. Thats what I have and its the best added peace of mind.
...and I'm sure that $695 back will really help with the cost of the car that was just stolen and stripped. Like I said, an hour is all it takes.

Originally Posted by recklessgoon16
Hidden kill switch, quick realese steering wheel and hub, viper alarm, and parking boot
Kill switch, yes. Viper yes, but only if it's custom installed. Having it installed by your local big box store means it's installed the same way as everyone else's, making it a joke to disable. Quick release steering wheel, no. The air bag means nothing - first gen airbags, like those in the 92-95 chassis, are just as likely to kill you as they are to save your life. Any thief who wants your car will scout it first, see your quick disconnect, and bring a wheel with them.

Car security is all about making your car harder to steal than your neighbor's car. That means multiple layers of security.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Here is a link for the blackjax
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-5-909505.html

You can never do enough, or spend enough to keep your car safe. It sucks when you don't own a garage and have cars that everyone wants to steal. I'm out of the game so if I happen to hook up my Civic I don't think I'll have as much problems, but the autolocks and blackjax will be installed.
That's pretty cool.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but only if it's custom installed
Yes, I forgot to mention this. Most people just put it right under the dash. It's easy to rip out. Luckily I have a friend who does all the installations for police/fire/ambulance, and is an electrical genius. He installed my alarm in my EJ8. Alarm is not visiable anywhere. Lots has to be removed to access it.

Get very creative with the kill switch as most have figured out where they are hidden. Get a tilt sensor with the alarm as well so if the car is being towed the alarm will go off. Also helps with wheel theft.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Lowjack is NOT where it's at. If you checked the A&S forum you'll see the many complaints people have made about it. GPS tracking is where it's at. Multiple layers of security is where it's at. Even better, someone needs to get a consumer level of the systems they use on bait cars. Getting the cheapest crap you can is NOT where it's at.
hmmmm, am i missing something?

Originally Posted by jbpnoman

...and I'm sure that $695 back will really help with the cost of the car that was just stolen and stripped. Like I said, an hour is all it takes.
An hr may be all it takes, however, as soon as the car is messed w/ lojack is notified, police are notified, im notified. Cases I have seen w/ a couple friends, the cops found the car well before an hr. Might just be me, but I'd rather know that the car will be found, then never seen it again...like I have experienced. I still take alot of other measures to detour theft, just like on my last honda that has been gone for almost a year. For whatever reason they did find the shell an hr later, that was my baby and would have gladly taken it back. I still wonder where that car is. Chopped up and scraped im sure.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Read between the lines please. GPS tracking is preferred. Lowjack is not. Primarily because of the coverage (or lack of) and the way that it works.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Read between the lines please. GPS tracking is preferred. Lowjack is not. Primarily because of the coverage (or lack of) and the way that it works.
What GPS tracking to you recommend?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 AM
The Grumpiest

Do some research.
Here's a thread that asks the Lojack question.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-security-video-27/how-much-lojack-worth-money-1929027/
Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id recommend maybe a .40 cal? maybe a 9mm but thats as small of a round i would go.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
The Grumpiest

I don't say this often. Please shut up. There always has to be some e-vigilante pop up in these kinds of threads.

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD THEN KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Layers of security is the key. For me, two wheel boots and about 9 other things that I won't go into detail about is enough for me to say that they won't be driving it away in a hurry.

Never rely on just one or two things. The harder and longer they have to work if they aren't towing it, the more likely they are to give up and look for something easier.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always use a club and my "cheap" anti-theft device is just pulling my main relay.
Sounds simple and stupid but i've never had a problem.