Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Antenna wire cut

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna wire cut

My girlfriend has a 92 lx and the antenna wire has been cut where it goies into the radio. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem. I thought just got the junkyard and get a new antenna wire. How do you go about pulling the wire out of the car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Antenna wire cut (ef-hatchcrap)

Good luck. The antenna wire is molded into the antenna and the plug is molded onto the end of that. My plug broke and I've rigged it up to work for a while until I get mine replaced. But I can go ahead and tell you how to get it done. You can get a brand new OEM style antenna and wire from autozone for less than $20. I think I gave $13 w/ tax for mine. The antenna is held on w/ the torx screws to the roof, but after that, the wire runs down a tube sort of thing where the antenna goes, down the A pillar to the dash. It runs along on top of the steering column brace, is clipped into some brackets, and runs along to where it goes into the radio. I haven't found a way to properly run it w/o taking the dash out. This is true for a 94 Ex, and seems to be true for a 92 Si, so I'd say the Lx is probably that way as well. If you find an easier way to fix it, let me know.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 AM
Farts in the shower

If its anything like the 96-00 civics it should be a 2 wire setup.

1 wire goes from the back of the radio to a plug (under dash) that plugs into the antenna that runs through the a-pillar.

And after I checked http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com it looks to be 2 wires:

Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 AM

omg i just had some wire laying around, like same thickness as the antenna wire and i stuck the end of it in the slot in back of the radio where the antenna wires supposed to go, and shove the res of the wire in to make it tight and stay, and as long as the connection is touching the metal piece in back, your golden...i know it's ghetto but it works fine for me...every station crisp...u can also get a wire and connect it from where u cut th antenna wire to the back of the radio...make shure the electrical thingys are touching a metal part inthere..do it with your radio on to find out when its good...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Antenna wire cut (Jay-Dee-Em)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay-Dee-Em &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omg i just had some wire laying around, like same thickness as the antenna wire and i stuck the end of it in the slot in back of the radio where the antenna wires supposed to go, and shove the res of the wire in to make it tight and stay, and as long as the connection is touching the metal piece in back, your golden...i know it's ghetto but it works fine for me...every station crisp...u can also get a wire and connect it from where u cut th antenna wire to the back of the radio...make shure the electrical thingys are touching a metal part inthere..do it with your radio on to find out when its good...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or how about he just buys a new wire from say some one like me. Pm me and ill hit you up with info!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Antenna wire cut (romoracing)

If you want to run a new cable, my suggestion would be to tie a string to the end of the cable before you pull it out. You will probably have to dig it out from under the dash yourself, until its only going from anntenna and down the a-pillar into the cabin. At that point, pull out the antenna, when the string comes out of the antenna hole, tie the new cable to the string and pull it back down.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 AM
Electrician

Junkyard, $10.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:31 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Antenna wire cut (mrchaos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrchaos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to run a new cable, my suggestion would be to tie a string to the end of the cable before you pull it out. You will probably have to dig it out from under the dash yourself, until its only going from anntenna and down the a-pillar into the cabin. At that point, pull out the antenna, when the string comes out of the antenna hole, tie the new cable to the string and pull it back down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

deffinately do this.

When I got my hatch, the end of the wire was broke just like you described. I went to Honda and bought a new antenna for like $25 I think, it wasn't much. I tied and taped a string to the end and pulled the old one out. Connected that string to the new one and pulled it back through. Be carefull, if it gets stuck try wiggling the wire back and forth while pulling on the string carefully. You don't want to break the string and then be stuck trying to get the wire to come out in the right spot.

It's not hard to do at all.

As for the two plug thing .ken, I don't think 92-95 are like the 96-00 (unless I don't understand what you mean). I looked at the part numbers for a 92 CX and a 92 LX and they were the same. My antenna that I bought from Honda for my 92 hatch was only one piece. The wire on the antenna plugged straight into the radio, there wasn't another plug/wire inbetween. Also, on HAP they don't list that #13 wire for the 92 LX or 92 CX for you to buy so.... It might be something for another model 92-95 Civic since it is pictured but I don't know which model.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Antenna wire cut (TouringAccord)

Alright I will do that then, When my girlfriend gets off work becuase its her car. Thanks everyone for the advise. When I get it done I will let ya know
Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 AM

Heres my .02 why not goto radio shack and get a new connector and solder it in place?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Antenna wire cut (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres my .02 why not goto radio shack and get a new connector and solder it in place?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was about to suggest the same thing, sounds cheaper and easier,but i have never pulled out the antenna either.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Antenna wire cut (mikedd_87)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikedd_87 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i was about to suggest the same thing, sounds cheaper and easier,but i have never pulled out the antenna either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

antenna wire is so thin you'll end up melting the wire before you have get a chance to get solder on the stupid thing.

I had to replace teh antenna in my EJ, i used the string method previously mentioned above. Worked like a charm, two small screws on the roof undo the antenna, then just tie the string on and carefully pull. For reinstalling the antenna, id suggest tieing the string to the bottom most part, then using a piece of electrical tape to make the wire parallel with the string, so it doesnt get hung up in the side kickpanel. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Antenna wire cut (climbermonkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by climbermonkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">antenna wire is so thin you'll end up melting the wire before you have get a chance to get solder on the stupid thing.

I had to replace teh antenna in my EJ, i used the string method previously mentioned above. Worked like a charm, two small screws on the roof undo the antenna, then just tie the string on and carefully pull. For reinstalling the antenna, id suggest tieing the string to the bottom most part, then using a piece of electrical tape to make the wire parallel with the string, so it doesnt get hung up in the side kickpanel. Good luck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

you said everything I was going to, gj on saving me some breath.
also, make sure you replace that gasket.