Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Trans Whine Question, but different....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Trans Whine Question, but different....

A friend in my hometown just recently bought a 95 hatch with a b16 and ys1 tranny with factory LSD....Here's the problem: (the lower the speed the more noticable it is)..when cruising with foot on the gas the car makes a whinning sound that gets more high pitched as speed increases. When his foot is off the gas, or the clutch pedal is pushed in, the whinning stops completely (decel and idle there is no noise at all)...the car drives perfectly, and the trans oil was just recently replaced when he got the car. Almost sounds supercharged (its not obviosly). It's not particularly loud, and on the highway (60mph+) you cant hear it at all.
My master tech friend thought it could be the angle of the axles in the tranny because the car is lowered, and its not the original motor (hence geometry differences)..(he's old school and I explained I've had a few hatches in the past with a b-series and never had this whinning noise) Or he said it could possibly be the input shaft in the trans has a worn bearing.

Anyone else have this problem? what did they do about it? and is it particularly dangerous? car drives fine, I told him to rock it until something breaks. Could it be the LSD?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you use synthetic fluid? and the best way to determine the problem is try to get the car on a dyno and just drive it normal and use a stehascope to hear if the whine is in the housing or the case.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a similar problem on my car. in my case, it was a worn out throwout bearing. once that was replaced, the whining noise went away completely.

good luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i was about to say throw out bearing is more than likely causing it. mine is bad right now and that is how it sounds. its just annoying after a while it will need replacing. first gear you hear it the most and after that it is no big deal.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gsrhatch2356
did you use synthetic fluid? and the best way to determine the problem is try to get the car on a dyno and just drive it normal and use a stehascope to hear if the whine is in the housing or the case.
He used oem Honda synth with friction mods...it was making the same sound before the fluid change also. What's the difference between the trans housing and case?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by big-cat
yeah i was about to say throw out bearing is more than likely causing it. mine is bad right now and that is how it sounds. its just annoying after a while it will need replacing. first gear you hear it the most and after that it is no big deal.
Throwout bearing...really??? I didn't think that could cause that....I've heard bad throwouts making a whirrly chunky type noise, but not a whine...If it was a throwout bearing wouldn't I hear something when at idle with the clutch pedal out and car in neutral?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Chow
Throwout bearing...really??? I didn't think that could cause that....I've heard bad throwouts making a whirrly chunky type noise, but not a whine...If it was a throwout bearing wouldn't I hear something when at idle with the clutch pedal out and car in neutral?
yes, in my case, i heard the noise after a few miles and the car was warmed up. the whining noise would be there always after that, even at idle, driving, etc.

a throwout bearing isnt too expensive. minus the labor, it wont be too big of a deal if you replaced it and the problem was still there.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by da1lydr1ver
yes, in my case, i heard the noise after a few miles and the car was warmed up. the whining noise would be there always after that, even at idle, driving, etc.

a throwout bearing isnt too expensive. minus the labor, it wont be too big of a deal if you replaced it and the problem was still there.
yea see that's the difference...I didn't hear anything unless the car was under load.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the housing is where the clutch and flywheel sit ( a sound from here would indicate a throwout bearing or maybe input shaft bearing) the case is where all the gears are and if the noise comes from there it really could be alot of things. main shaft bearing, countershaft bearing, differential bearings, worn gears. thats pretty much it but if that was it then the tranny would need to be torn down and inspected for those things.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else had this problem? results?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My bet is the isb with the way the noise is. If it was a throwout bearing you should only hear it when you push the clutch in other wise the throwout bearing isn't really doing anything

Last edited by instructor74; 11-20-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instructor74
My bet is the isb with the way the oise is. If it was a throwout bearing you should only hear it when you push the clutch in other wise the throwout bearing isn't really doing anything
nope you got it back asswards. you will hear the the throw out bearing when the clutch is let out. but you say there is no whinning when you are not moving with the clutch out??? might be the input shaft bearing which would suck.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by big-cat
nope you got it back asswards. you will hear the the throw out bearing when the clutch is let out. but you say there is no whinning when you are not moving with the clutch out??? might be the input shaft bearing which would suck.
You might want to read up a little. With the clutch out the inputsaft is spinning hence the ability to hear the isb spinning. the throw out bearing is not in contact with the pressure plate there for it is not spinning. Push the clutch in the throw out bearing is pressed against the pressure plate fingers and the clutch is disingaged. If the throw out bearing is bad this is when you would hear it.
His noise goes away when the clutch is in.

Everything you ever wanted to know about simple clutch opperation!
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tec...7/article.html

Last edited by instructor74; 11-21-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder if i have a bad input shaft then? that would blow. ummm what about for him not moving though? he says the whining is only when he moves. =/
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is possable that it is something else. However isb would be my first thought. It would make sence that it is only doing it under load if it has just started to go out. I would bet that the longer it goes the louder it will get