Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another tps thread *SOLVED*

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another tps thread *SOLVED*

So I've done all the tests thanks for HT for the tutorials. The 5v wire is reading correct at ecu and tps end, there's continuity on the signal wire between tps and ecu - at idle it's reading .48v and WOT it's reading 4.46v and the meter reads smooth when the throttle plate is moved, there are no jumps or pauses at all. I have pulled the fuses to reset the ecu yet I'm still getting code 7! I'm presuming it's simply a case of faulty sensor in this instance but wanted to double check on here in the event I've missed anything. Thanks a lot

edit; just thought, if the signal wire reads 4.5v for example at the sensor end, should it be the same reading at the ecu end?

Last edited by Harrymonk; 06-20-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default re: Another tps thread *SOLVED*

the ECU only know what it reads at the ECU pins. Measurement at the sensor should be the same as at the ECU pins.... unless you have a wiring issue (wire broken, connection loose, pin broken, miss-wired, etc)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Relic1
the ECU only know what it reads at the ECU pins. Measurement at the sensor should be the same as at the ECU pins.... unless you have a wiring issue (wire broken, connection loose, pin broken, miss-wired, etc)
thanks for the quick reply. So even though there is continuity, it doesn't necessarily mean that the wire is in good enough condition to carry the signal from the sensor to the ecu?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To conclude this thread. I went out to check voltages and continuity of the tps plug again to be sure everything was ok and there was 0v reading on the reference wire and signal wire which was confusing as the previous day was fine except for cel illuminated. After a lot of tests I found that the 5v wire on the ecu conversion harness had a fault, as continuity was showing between the tps plug and engine loom plug in the cabin but not between the loom plug and other side of the conversion harness. A quick bypass of this and the car runs great with no cel. Hope this helps someone else in the future