Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another swap question...b16 related

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another swap question...b16 related

Well i'm going to attempt to do my first swap and i just need a little more info. My car is a 1995 honda civic si hatchback. It has the stock d16z6. I'm just putting in the jdm obd1 b16a and want to see what all is going to be different as far as wiring goes..I've searched the FAQ's and many threads but haven't seen exact answers on what i'm looking for.

So far i have:

jdm b16a w/hydro tranny
Hasport mounts
p30 ecu

and the axles, obd1 distributer and all the stuff to complete it

Is there any tools that will help me out a lot? Any secrets I should know?

well any help is appreciated and i have searched...i want to do this so i can learn myself rather than paying someone..

thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another swap question...b16 related (usdmEHboy)

hw similar is that to a 93 del sol sohc 1.5 non vtec just did the swap i do know you will need shift linkage and shouldnt be any wiring issues except knock sensor and that is one wire the other problem is that the harness has to swap sides so extending or i have heard cutting loom but it is easier to soldier a few wires
Old 01-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very easy swap. pretty much a plug and play swap. use your stock si engine harness. the jdm harness is pretty useless due to it's RHD application except you can still reuse the plugs that are on it for future spare parts. Like others have said, you only have to hard wire the knock sensor into the engine.

secrets? well it's alot easier to slide the engine in from underneath then through the top. that's how Honda put their engines in from the factory. You don't have to angle or worry about hitting the firewall when you go through the bottom then the top.

Other then that you pretty much have everything covered so far.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another swap question...b16 related (Lord Helmet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lord Helmet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very easy swap. pretty much a plug and play swap. use your stock si engine harness. the jdm harness is pretty useless due to it's RHD application except you can still reuse the plugs that are on it for future spare parts. Like others have said, you only have to hard wire the knock sensor into the engine.

secrets? well it's alot easier to slide the engine in from underneath then through the top. that's how Honda put their engines in from the factory. You don't have to angle or worry about hitting the firewall when you go through the bottom then the top.

Other then that you pretty much have everything covered so far. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow thanks for the positive response..i appreciate the help..

now on the knock sensor..do you know of any write ups on doing this or is it a simple process..i'm going to start searching right now..
Old 01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usdmEHboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow thanks for the positive response..i appreciate the help..

now on the knock sensor..do you know of any write ups on doing this or is it a simple process..i'm going to start searching right now..</TD></TR></TABLE>

not that hard just wire it from the knock sensor to the ecu and cover it with a wire loom.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another swap question...b16 related (Lord Helmet)

the knock sensor just cut off the plug from the b16 harness and run the single wire into the ecu and pin it to D3. you need a pin to put it to make a good connection
Old 01-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another swap question...b16 related (fmrprojects)

cool thanks for the help guys...do i have to worry about timing on the motor? also impact gun yes/no?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another swap question...b16 related

Tools wise... you will need a 32mm socket to take the axels out of the wheel hub. it shouldn't be hard to find. I got mine from Advance Auto, also the normal tools like 10,12,14,17, and 3/4 sockets, and a few other tools to do the wiring, and to pull hoses off.