Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another rear quarter panel rust thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another rear quarter panel rust thread

I've done some research and it looks like the only way to fix this is to cut the same section from a donor car. I don't really have the resources to do this so my next option is body filler or some other suggestion.

I know nothing about body work and the last body shop I took it to wanted $1600 to fix it. I can't see paying over half the cars value just for that one damn rust spot. Basically I'm wanting to know how you guys fixed your spots becasue I know everyone has them.
Sorry about the huge pics just restored my pc and I have no software loaded yet.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Another rear quarter panel rust thread (-[95cxhatch]-)

Well based on past experiences with rust, you're definitely going to want to cut out the section thats rusted and/or grind/sand etc. And what i've done in the past is lay down sheet metal depending on what type of bends I need in the contour of the body. Once fastened to the quarter panel, use body filler (bondo) around the edges so it can blend in with the rest of the body and once that drys sand everything down so it's smooth again. Primer it and send it to the body shop for paint.

I had a 1988 Toyota pick-up where the box rusted from the inside out. Luckily I caught it before it got so bad. Most people I know with the same truck threw out the entire box/bed and replaced it with wood (weird I know)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Open the pictures "with paint"

hold down the "ctrl" button and press "w"

then change the height and the width, it's far too big.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Another rear quarter panel rust thread (The_General)

The only way to get rid of rust is to cut it out, properly treat the remaining metal, and weld in a new piece.

Fiberglass and crap like that will actually act as a catalyst to speed up the rusting process.

I have been restoring cars for 30 years, so take it from me, I know.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -[95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-]

I know nothing about body work and the last body shop I took it to wanted $1600 to fix it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dang thats too much, i suggest look around. I had both sides cut out and re-welded along with the entire car getting smoothed and repainted and paid that much. Definitely needs cut out and new sheet metal put in. shop around
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another rear quarter panel rust thread (Cuda70)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cuda70 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fiberglass and crap like that will actually act as a catalyst to speed up the rusting process</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, i've never heard this before. Do you have any other info about this to add?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another rear quarter panel rust thread (mwieczorek43)

the only reason fiberglass will speed up the process of rusting is because it holds moister and it all depends on who is doing it . it could last 1 month it could last ten years. i say do it the right way and section in a piece either aftermarket or doner car
Old 02-13-2006, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Another rear quarter panel rust thread (mwieczorek43)

Sure...

What is rust? It is the oxidization of ferrous metal. (The burning of iron). The chemicals in fiberglass resin are corrosive. That is how it adheres to the metallic object. The chemicals that allow it to adhere to the metal act as a catalyst in the oxidization process. If metal is already starting to rust, the fiberglass will speed up the process.

The best way to defeat rust is to cut it out and treat the metal with a rust-killing chemical. I use this green stuff (I cant seem to recall the name at this moment), but it's a 3M product. (It smells like rotten eggs) Even when you cut the metal back, there is micro-pockets of rust that you cannot see. You obviously cannot sand blast sheet metal (It will warp), so you treat the metal, use a good self-etching primer, and then apply your body fillers, prime, block, and paint. That is how a good body shop will do it. Anything less, and the rust will return, sooner than you would think.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Another rear quarter panel rust thread (be8teensee1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by be8teensee1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only reason fiberglass will speed up the process of rusting is because it holds moister and it all depends on who is doing it . it could last 1 month it could last ten years. i say do it the right way and section in a piece either aftermarket or doner car </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can use a good coat of epoxy primer after treating the panel with a rust killing chemical and use fiberglass. The epoxy primer will act as a barrier between the fiberglass and the metal. Although, to date, I have not had good luck with this technique.

Again, take it for what it's worth. I have been restoring cars for a better part of my adult life, and I am an old ***** now! (LOL) I have used all-metal fillers, all sorts of bondo's, and even fiberglass. Nothing is a good substitute for a new panel done properly. Sometimes a compromise has to be made. Value of car vs. cost of work, availablility of donor cars, ability to fabricate parts. (Go try and find a donor 59 Plymouth Fury at your local junk yard! - yeah right! I had to fab everything I did to that car!). But for the cost of the sheet metal on a Honda, I really don't see why fiberglass would ever be an option. There are just tons and tons of donor cars waiting at the wrecking yards...
Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info thanks for the replies... In a few days I'm going to drive around to some other shops and see what they come up with.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cut that cancer outa there
Old 02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sell the car, stat.

first thing i did when i got my car was to take off the rear bumper, check that damn area for rust..sand..spray..spray...spray..etc.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM

look on ebay for rear quarter patch panels. there is a guy selling them for around $100. as long as the inner structer isnt rusted much this is all you will need.
any good body shop should be able to weld those in and say goodbye to your rust.
the thing is though you should have your rear bumper painted at the same time because it will never match the quarter, so theres another 2-3 hunderd.
maybe ask the shop if you take out the tail lights and take off the bumper if they will knock down the price a little.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16ej1lsd)

go to http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com , they sell entire rear quarter panels for cars..
Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (I Am Si Guy)

I have the same prob however there are holes at both my quarters. Im getting a small part off a donor car and just getting someone to weld it on and grinded down. Your best bet is to do what im doing or get a shop to cut and weld in new metal. Either way body work is always exspensive... Good luck.