Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Overheating thread..... I know

Old 06-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Overheating thread..... I know

I know this has been talked about before. Ive searched and nobody hasnt encountered the same problem I think.
Anyway 4 days ago my JDM D15 Del Sol temperature passed the halfway mark and it was surly going to the H mark.

Luckily I arrived home just in time. I checked the radiator, hoses and everywhere for leaks. I didnt find anything. No leaks at all and the radiator was full. I started the car and waited for it to heat up. The fan didnt kick in so I got a thermostat switch and put it on. The fan still didnt start so I went around the block with the fan jumped to stay on all the time and it still began to overheat. While I was driving I had to turn on the heat so that will lower the temp which it did instantly.

I changed the thermostat and burped the system. The car was left idled for about an hour without any issues with the AC turned on full blast. I even took the car for a ride and drove it a bit hard also with the AC on and the temperature gauge sat in the middle so I thought this problem was fixed. 2 hours later I needed to go out and as I was driving it heated up again and I turned on the heater and the temperature went down to normal again. There is no milky fluid in the radiator and again no leakages of any sort.

Now Im stuck again and I was thinking about changing the radiator. But I think Im just going to buy more parts and it's going to stay the same.

I know this has been talked about before. Ive searched and nobody hasnt encountered the same problem I think.
Anyway 4 days ago my JDM D15 Del Sol temperature passed the halfway mark and it was surly going to the H mark.

Luckily I arrived home just in time. I checked the radiator, hoses and everywhere for leaks. I didnt find anything. No leaks at all and the radiator was full. I started the car and waited for it to heat up. The fan didnt kick in so I got a thermostat switch and put it on. The fan still didnt start so I went around the block with the fan jumped to stay on all the time and it still began to overheat. While I was driving I had to turn on the heat so that will lower the temp which it did instantly.

I changed the thermostat and burped the system. The car was left idled for about an hour without any issues with the AC turned on full blast. I even took the car for a ride and drove it a bit hard also with the AC on and the temperature gauge sat in the middle so I thought this problem was fixed. 2 hours later I needed to go out and as I was driving it heated up again and I turned on the heater and the temperature went down to normal again. There is no milky fluid in the radiator and again no leakages of any sort.

Now Im stuck again and I was thinking about changing the radiator. But I think Im just going to buy more parts and it's going to stay the same.
The radiator and cooling system was flushed a month ago because my radiator had a little hole and fixed it. It was running perfectly until now.

Any help guys? Im getting confused.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Re: Another Overheating thread..... I know

A few details you over looked sharing.

Thermostat, did you buy/replace with an OEM thermo start or an auto parts store thermostat.

The other detail, you say you fixed a little hole in your rad... How did you fix this? Something you poured into the rad and ran the car?

These details need to be expanded upon so we can get clarity on the situation.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

feel the upper and lower hoses when it begins to overheat. are they roughly the same temperature? that would rule out thermostat if they are. did you dump any "mechanic in a can" into the car? if so, you could have a blocked up radiator, coolant passages, or both. if none of the above, and there is no loss of coolant, i would suspect a failing water pump.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:57 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

You say temperature maintains pretty well if the AC is on, if I read correctly. That means AC fan is keeping it cool... and temp shoots up when that fan is off, right?

If so, I had a car that did exactly this and I remember what the issue was. Please confirm if yours does this, and I will share.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

flush it well ,check radiator for leeks,fill it while runningif your fan still dosent come on it could be a fuse...
Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The fan is working but it seems to turn on when the car gets too hot. Ive been using my del sol for a couple of days since I changed the thermostat and it hasnt been heating up but Im still not confident that the problem is solved. My best option is to change the radiator.