Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

another one of those is it worth it thread d vs b

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another one of those is it worth it thread d vs b

yes i searched and yes i realize the b16 is a better motor. however everybody's situation is different so i turn to ht for opinions. i'm a college student so the price will affect the outcome a lot. i have a 95 hb with the stock d15b7, i want something with more oomph, not looking to do a crazy n/a or f/i build. i know if i had unlimited money a b16/b18 would be a good motor but i'm ballin on a budget. what i'm looking for is this:

-cheap
-decent power
-fuel economy

would a d16z6 be what i'm looking for vs a b16? my car is a dd so i just want something that has a little power to make getting around easier, should i just get the d16z6 and call it a day? or would saving for a b16 be worth it? my car probably won't ever see the track, nor will she be a dyno queen, just lookin for something to make getting around a little more fun. currently i'm leaning towards a d16z6 but i don't know much, so let me know what you guys think is better.

also another question, i come from the rsx family where generally there was just hondata reflash and kpro, is "chipping" the ecu the same thing as reflashing? or would i have to buy hondata s300 (or equivalent) when i swap my engine?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: another one of those is it worth it thread d vs b

Originally Posted by dinged
-cheap
-decent power
-fuel economy
A B16 is all of those, although you'll have to look around for a good deal on one. Companies like Hmotors sell them for WAY too much IMO. There is some cost involved and a little modification needed to perform the swap.

A USDM D16Z6 with it's tranny can be tough to find but usually not too expensive, the swap is simple as can be, power is meh and in the end you'll want more power.

I know you didn't ask, but I recommend a B18B1, I think you'll like it better. Cheaper than a B16 and just as easy to swap. Take it from someone who has owned all 3 of these engines.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need unlimited money for a B swap. I picked up my '95 GSR motor for 1700. It was cheap, has great power, and I still get about 24 MPG, not driving conservatively.

To answer your question, compared to a B16, that D16Z6 isn't going to be that great at all. It's going to be slow, and a waste of time to put in. Why not just save your money until you can afford a B?

You'll be able to appreciate your car much more if you save for a B series. If I were you, I'd forget about a B16, and go straight for a B18C/B18C1/B18C5 motor instead.

You should be able to use the stock ECU from the engine you buy, assuming it comes with one, but I would recommend some type of engine management system like a Hondata or AEM in order to bring out the full potential of the motor.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B18B1 is a sweet swap...last way longer and if you decide to boost it later down the road that stock block will hold lots of psi!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait a min guys i think we should ask this college student what his budget is, if its no more then a g then go with a tha d16z6, but if you can squize a bit more then that go with an b18b or b20b, their cheap and make good low end torque great for getting around, vtec engines dont have much low end torque at all unless you ring their necks in the rpm's then your mov'n
Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey thanks for the replies guys, what's the ballpark estimate on a complete b16 swap? labor isn't a problem, my brother has a shop so we can do the swap ourselves on our off time. i'd get a b18 but aren't those more expensive? seems pretty similar to a b16 ~10-15 hp but costs more, would the .2 liter make that much of a difference? i'm ballin on a budget here lol, i just want the best way to make decent power while keeping things cheap. how about ls vtecs? do people still use those? are they any good? i found a b20 going for like 500 here, a b16/b18 head can't cost too much, just slap them together worthwhile? based on what i'm seeing i'm leaning towards a b16 now, but i'm open to suggestions. as for a budget, i don't really have a set budget per se, it's more of a "how much it'll cost is how much i will spend" type deal, between paying for school and bills i scrape together what i can so yea lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B18B1 is pretty cheap, they are non-VTEC. The B18C1/B18C/B18C5 are the nice ones and have a lot more power and VTEC. They are more responsive to mods than B16s because of the added displacement. B16 will feel just like a D16Z6 until 4k or so.

I personally suggest a B18C1 from the GSR. Its the next step up from the B16A. More power, and more torque.

I have a D16Z6 with intake/header/exhaust and its nice. I have fun but yes it does make you want more power. About 120whp which is about the same as a stock B18B1 will net out. I rather rock my Z6 with VTEC all day though.

So I wouldn't swap a B18B1 coming from a D16Z6.

LS/VTECs are still being built but Im not a fan of the concept. Sooner or later they will crap out on you.

It seems that it depends on what you have prior. Your D15B7 has no potential worth extracting and anything you drop in there is going to feel good.

B16As are nice and if you can find a good deal on one take it. Seems that would be the best choice since you're more on the budget side of things. If you have a little more to spend, go for the B18C1!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your looking for mpg's and want b-series id go ls honestly. i dont know of anyone with a b-swapped car thats getting 30 mpg city
Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
if your looking for mpg's and want b-series id go ls honestly. i dont know of anyone with a b-swapped car thats getting 30 mpg city
That's weird. My buddy gets upper 30s to 40 or so in his actual Integra LS. It's heavier than a Civic and has the same motor. It's all how you drive it and take care of the motor.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A clean b16a can do 38mpg in an so hatch.... I know someone that gets that.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
That's weird. My buddy gets upper 30s to 40 or so in his actual Integra LS. It's heavier than a Civic and has the same motor. It's all how you drive it and take care of the motor.
thats my point, everyone i know has b16s or gsr's and are running stock motors (i/h/e) and only break 30's on the highway. dont get me wrong, i love my car/motor, but i damn sure miss the days of d-series gas mileage. my best tank in my d15 was 427 miles...or ~50mpg. best tank with the b16 so far...220 or ~26mpg
Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally, if you don't have a lot of money, I would just save it and drive what you have until you get out of school. Then you will have the money to do it right. I will tell you that swapping a motor is like any other car project....it's going to cost you more money than you anticipate. All the little things you will need will start to add up quickly and then you might get stuck.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah well try run'n a b20b with a gsr trans and driv'n 70 on the highway, my mpg is like 20 to the gallon, short gears and performance comes at a price, but it still beats 60 bux every 3 days in my supra also, dude wen it comes to a daily noobs go around haul'n *** in their cars just so they can hit single cam vtec every where(not haten i was 17 once), that ls has nice low end torque and has the same speed as a b16 if you run a b16 trans, a ls will get off the line faster and the b16 will play catch up in vtec, but if you have a chance to getta b20 id go for it if you just cruise around town gas mpg will be the last thing you'll think of
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and btw all my b-series swaps all cost under 2g's and my last swap in my newish car only cost a G, you gotta get in good with shops and the guys at honda dealers, so i get everything discounted, and i also did the work myself
Old 04-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well a few points to help u... have u considered turbo charging your current motor? Also I have friends with boosted d16 motors, stock internals, running ebay bolt on turbo kits, about 10-15 psi used as daily drivers.. they also pack quite a punch.... they are easily 14 second cars through the quarter mile, maybe high 13's with good tires and driving. I have a jdm ctr ek9 (b16b), and we have very close occasional races. So with that said, they are very potent motors with some boost on them. jus get a chipped obd1 ecu for like 150 on ebay, and with some adjusments 2 your harness, jus plug up and run a chrome map for your specs... they work great if ur on a tight budget.

Now b16/b18 vtecs... well if u have a bit more cash by all means go for these motors... they can give u wat a boosted d16 gives u and more wit a little mods and also very good daily drivers. also, they would be a better motor 2 work with in the future if u have plans to go even faster when u finish school.

hope this helps.