Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another no start problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another no start problem...

The car: 95 Civic Coupe Auto with 1.6 SOHC motor. Car has 180K on it.

The issue: Turns over but no start.

The symptoms: Again, the car will turn over but will not start. CEL is on, I dont hear the pump prime, main relay does not click at all.

Actions taken: Initally I thought the dizzy quit because the car basically just shut off at speed and had no spark. Dizzy replaced still no start. Reset computer, still the same symptoms. Checked all fuses, all are good. Checked grounds, all are tight, removed ECU ground at the thermostat housing cleaned it and reinstalled. Removed the main relay found 1 cold solder and went about striping and resoldering the connections. Still no start. Grabbed a multimeter from work, 12.5 volts going to ECU but fuel pump is only getting .82 volts. Couldn't continue testing as it started raining hard. Tried to pull codes but CEL doesn't flash when the plug (2 prong plug near the bottom right of the glove box Blue in color) is jumped.

Another wacky thing that happened to the car is the Spedo went wacky shortly before this happend and did a sweep all the way around the spedo and now rests at the bottom of the limiting pin.

Sorry I don't have much more information than this but I'm not the driver of this car and this is the first Honda I've worked on.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Another no start problem...

If the CEL remains ON steady with the service connector jumped, then you may have an ECU problem that is preventing it from receiving signals from the MAP sensor. In this case, you would lack both fuel and spark. Start by checking whether you can measure 5V from the Yel/Red wire of the MAP sensor connector and body ground with the ignition key turned to ON(II).
Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well its nice to see that someone put the info in sections. that makes it handy lol

anyway you said the pump is getting .82, was the key on? you should try to check for a bad or corroded grounding point for the pump. with the amount of miles the pump could be bad.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well its nice to see that someone put the info in sections. that makes it handy lol

anyway you said the pump is getting .82, was the key on? you should try to check for a bad or corroded grounding point for the pump. with the amount of miles the pump could be bad.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SOHC_4dr

Yes the key was on. As for the pump I take it that is located under the back seat? Please let me know I'll be checking over things again when I get home tonight.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
If the CEL remains ON steady with the service connector jumped, then you may have an ECU problem that is preventing it from receiving signals from the MAP sensor. In this case, you would lack both fuel and spark. Start by checking whether you can measure 5V from the Yel/Red wire of the MAP sensor connector and body ground with the ignition key turned to ON(II).
Thanks I will check that tonight. Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

Oh and guys sorry for being such a Noob asking these questions, I've never had to daignose a car with an electrical system this complicated.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the pump will only prime for a couple seconds so keep that in mind when checking power to your pump
Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM

Got the problem solved. Turns out the alarm bypassed the II ignition key lead (Fuse 24 int he FSM) and failed. Once the fuse got replaced the main relay got it's three clicks and the car started right up. Goes to show you anytime you get an alarm on your car be sure to get one made by a quality manufacturer and have it installed by a reputable shop. Trust me the three days it takes you to trace down the fault will not be worth the extra cost.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought you said you checked all the fuses?
Originally Posted by Froggmann
...Checked all fuses, all are good...
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Couldn't see this one from my vantage point and it was not listed on the fuse diagram on the fuse box cover. It took me talking off the dash cover and the steel shield or whatever to find it. Again, I only found the missing fuse socket after moving the alarm junk out of the way.