Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Moroso pan thread... Leaky, bending...help.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Moroso pan thread... Leaky, bending...help.

Wow..****ing b16 oil pan design SUCKS.

Those 2 dimples next to the bolt holes are causing the bolts to bend/warp the pan every single ****ing time.

The oil pan is Moroso #20911.

The first pan I had came with the car, came leaking.

First time I changed the gasket out I wasn't thinking and didn't torque it. Overtightened and didn't dry the gasket surfaces. Leaked.

Second time, I tried a gasket w/hondabond on both sides..I put to much, I know this now. Torqued w/snap on wrench. Leaked.

Third time, I tried just "The right stuff"...turned out it wasn't. Torqued w/snap on wrench. Leaked.

Gasket surface was warped and looked like the ocean when checked w/ a straight edge. Probably either from p/o or the first time I changed it.

Bought a new pan. Installed w/ just gasket. Dry/cleaned pan and block. Bought an autozone torque wrench thinking the snap on was mis-calibrated (Yeah, I'm smart like that ) Turns out the new one must have been super off..after I torqued it I was waiting for the hondabond on the plugs to dry so I was looking stuff up..turns out the autozone torque wrenches over tighten everything. I thought it felt like I was over torquing the bolts.. Well didn't even put oil in it, took the pan off and its warped almost as bad as the last one.

Is this just because of the shitty torque wrench or am I doing something else wrong here?

Also any other recommendations??