Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW

Old 09-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why without welding?

Really all this does is add another connecting point to the chassis.. every point you connect, the stiffer the entire frame gets. If you wanded to you could just start bolting metal peices all over the place to stiffen it up. IMO the frame locks will work to some degree, but isn't going to be your best bang for your buck as far as stiffening your chassis unless you make them yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Randomly adding braces will not gain much. To improve the structure of a vehicle you need to understand through testing and computer simulation (Finite element Analysis) where the "weak link the chain" is located, then address that weakness. You have to have a clue where to go. We've studied this and determine that connection to be a big opportunity for improvement. We are working on other products as well.

David Lawson
Korbach Performance
Old 09-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW (JaeOne3345)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaeOne3345 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you went by the "*** dyno" , I question just how much that rear tie bar actually made a difference. A sway bar is extremely noticeable, but i cant see an ebay rear tie doing much.

Nice review though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am curious. When manufacturers sell sway bars or lowered suspension kits, do they make any claims as to whether this improves track times or skid pad #'s. Let me know. I have not seen that.

David Lawson
Korbach Performance
Old 09-21-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW (Solid_Ride)

point noted.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW (gumtape_deathmatch)

I had posted this in the ITR forum thread a few days ago, but I think the guys in that forum are at a dead lock until they get some hard numbers...which is understandable. I am just going to copy paste my post from that thread here.

I do not really have enough posts on here for my opinion to carry any weight, but I am going to give it anyway.

The Frame Locks are, of course, not a 'magic snake oil'...and I do not think that these guys are saying they are. The way things are stated on thier website is has an obvious marketing twist to it, and I have suggested to them they tone it down and give it more of a technical slant than a hype slant. That said, I do not feel that anyone could properly install this product on their car and not notice the differences.

Since installing these things, I have noticed that:

Everyday bumps, dips, and highway seams are absorbed better
Potholes, speed bumps, and railroad tracks lose their intimidation factor
The car tracks better around turns of all kinds, especially turns across uneven or bumpy pavement
You can indeed get around onramps, offramps, and even those donut on/off ramps faster and with more control
90 degree turns off of one street to another are more stable and controlled
the overall ride is simply more solid

I know that is the same thing all the other testers have said...but that is what they do. The guys at Korbach let me in on the tester program in exchange for an honest review, like I just gave. However, I felt they were good enough to write much, much more about them, and you can read that on my website here.

My Frame Lock Review

Now, it is really against my values to give something a good review for a discount or a free product. That aside, that review is on my website, with several members that drive civics. If I did not believe everything in the review 100% I simply would not have put it up. As I said before, I really do not post here much, so I KNOW that most of you will not take me seriously...I simply wanted to speak up for a great product for the ones who will value my opinion.

Also, I just wanted to give you guys a snippet of one of the emails from Korbach, from before I got the Frame Locks installed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks George.

All I ask for is an honest review. I want to be clear that we are not discounting the price for a postive review.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And an honest review is what they got. They were expecting a post in a thread on a few forums with my honest thoughts, and they got a three and a half page word document.

I give them and feel anyone who actually tries them will do the same.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW (georgelb)

And I do not have the ability to provide lap times, slalom times, skidpad, or anything else. I am relating my perceptions of this product for the people who are looking for that, not in an attempt to try and sway the ones waiting for hard numbers...because they are not going to sway. I just wanted to stick my neck out for these guys because they are taking a lot of flack for a product that, I feel, works great.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solid_Ride &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Our problem is finding a racer who is very credible here at this forum who will do some before and after track times. He must be consistent and very well respected and well known. I am still working on Jerry Birchmore via George Knighton, but have not heard back. I just emailed Honda Challenge to find someone.

I will offer a $ 50 reward to anyone that can kind find me someone that fits above description. This persons endorsment must be gold so that people will not acuse them of fabricating the numbers.

Come on Honda-Tech, you guys are supposed to be the top notch web site. Find me someone please! I am challenging you. It will be months before Grass Roots can publish an article.

Thanks for the help!

David Lawson
Korbach Performance</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is a member on another forum who has been autocrossing or several years and is sponsored by several manufacturers. I will try to contact him and hopefully he can give some insight at his next event
Old 09-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all i know is, if these frame locks has a mugen or spoon logo you would all get a frame lock boner and it would be out of stock so fast!

nothing like putting down products that are trying to keep our sport innovative
Old 09-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solid_Ride &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am curious. When manufacturers sell sway bars or lowered suspension kits, do they make any claims as to whether this improves track times or skid pad #'s. Let me know. I have not seen that.

David Lawson

I didn't say anything towards your product at all. When I mentioned the "*** dyno" comment, that was towards the user's comment about a ebay rear tie bar doing much. In my experience at autocross, those lower tie's dont do much of a damn thing in comparison to actually installing a swaybar (and this is on the *** dyno, since most of us don't have access to the tools required to accurately test the product. In terms of suspension, many upgrades are judged on the *** dyno, no biggy, my sway bars and toe adjustment definately made a difference on the *** dyno. But im skeptical of the tie bar that was mentioned doing much of anything in terms of an *** dyno account). That's all I was pointing out. I mentioned your product no where. Hater I am not.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all i know is, if these frame locks has a mugen or spoon logo you would all get a frame lock boner and it would be out of stock so fast!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's because those companies are known for their R&D. Korbach is in the beginning stages of proving this.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:00 PM

Anyone wanna do a groupbuy?

5 buyers from the forum, that it'll be 20% off making it 195 - 39 = 156. For $156, the price don't seem too bad to me so I was wondering would anyone else be interested.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Enjokosai

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Solid_Ride &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Our problem is finding a racer who is very credible here at this forum who will do some before and after track times. He must be consistent and very well respected and well known. I am still working on Jerry Birchmore via George Knighton, but have not heard back. I just emailed Honda Challenge to find someone.

I will offer a $ 50 reward to anyone that can kind find me someone that fits above description. This persons endorsment must be gold so that people will not acuse them of fabricating the numbers.

Come on Honda-Tech, you guys are supposed to be the top notch web site. Find me someone please! I am challenging you. It will be months before Grass Roots can publish an article.

Thanks for the help!

David Lawson

You guys must have some capital built up. Buy a stock Si (yes they can be found) do a series of controlled tests, and publish results. Sell the Si, and claim any depreciation on your taxes. Yes, there is a way in essence to get a *free* test mule. You guys are engineers, but certainly not rocket scientists.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok here is what the guy had to say about korbach
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already tried when they first came out. They turned me down even when I mentioned to them about my background in the SCCA community.

$200+ for something that might or might not work is not for me. I need to spend my money on better things.

Mike
</TD></TR></TABLE>

can you help this man out?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW (Daniel)

nice, so does it work?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know, I really can't believe how much skepticisim there is on these products. I can pretty much guarantee that this product works even without having them installed on my car. Truthfully, has anyone in here seen any track times or whatever for the strut bars or anything like that you have on your cars? Come on, did you bother to read the post? Look at the message from Solid_Ride in Pariah's review. I mean....just take a minute and really think about how and why they work.

right now, i can say this: If i had ANY money to spend on my car, this would be the product of choice for me.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all i know is, if these frame locks has a mugen or spoon logo you would all get a frame lock boner and it would be out of stock so fast!

nothing like putting down products that are trying to keep our sport innovative</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally agree with this guy..lol..its true though..
Old 09-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Did they agree to test it, though? Because THAT would be a credible review.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they did. I hope to lock in on a date for them to evaluate it this week. But Dave Wallins at Grass Roots is a very busy man. They just launched a 2nd magazine. Classic Motorsports.

If they review it soon, we may ask them to hold off publishing the article until the spring for marketing purposes. If the article comes out in the winter, people back east will not want to buy. So timing may be better in the spring. But I may ask him to put something in their web site prior to spring time. Also, we have not contacted Sport Compact magazine because we wanted to talk to Grass Roots first.

People probably doubt the claims that we are talking to GRM, but it is true. Before the release of Honda Tuning magazine, we said the same thing and people doubted us. Next thing you know...we're on the front cover September issue "Best handling upgrade you don't know about".

When it hits GRM magazine, I think our credibility will start to solidify. In the mean time, like any other new company...there is always doubt.

In the mean time, here's a couple of other links with some reviews:

http://www.speed-society.com/f...locks/

http://forums.clubsi.com/showf...art=1

David Lawson
Korbach Performance

Old 09-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW (Enjokosai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Enjokosai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You guys must have some capital built up. Buy a stock Si (yes they can be found) do a series of controlled tests, and publish results. Sell the Si, and claim any depreciation on your taxes. Yes, there is a way in essence to get a *free* test mule. You guys are engineers, but certainly not rocket scientists. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd guess I'd have to disagree. First, if we did the testing ourselves, it would be questioned and doubted by naysayers such as yourself. So it is important to get a well known racer in the car he knows very well. Second, it's not just the money, it's the time it takes to find one, buy one etc. It is more time than you think. Right now, there really is not enough time in the day to get everything done. Seen our web site? Already out of date and in need of toning down the Ronco feel. Keeping up with production is tough enough. Third, even if we could invest $ 10 k on a nice SI, we would be much better reinvesting the money into product development or looking into export or developing the other 2 products that are in the hopper. That would have a greater return on investment. Fourth, it is a matter of time before we find someone quick. Fifth, we are hoping that Dave Wallins at Grass Roots magazine may be able to do this in a few weeks and maybe put something in his web site before the magazine comes out. No we're not rocket scientists, but I don't think you are either. Frankly, you're just bitter....making your way cutting down people, products etc for whatever reasons only known to yourself. Instead of being negative and deconstructive, you should be constructive. I don't mean this in an insulting way. It's just our philosophy. Hope you don't take offense.

David Lawson
Korbach Performance
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Hello, It is now 2008 and I would like the Korbach Frame Locks for my 1995 Honda Civic EX. The Korbach Performance website does not take my orders. They do not respond to my e mails. The fax machine does not accept my faxes. The telephone number listed on the site does not work. The mailing address does not work, I get all my letters back and they say return to sender. Did Korbach fall of the face of the earth or what? Can somebody PLEASE HELP ME! I can't go on driving without this product!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another KORBACH FRAME LOCK REVIEW

hate to bring this back from the dead but does anyone still have their 92-95 EG Korbach instructions? any chance you could scan or make a copy & fax them to me
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought the Honda Tuning EK how-to article on them a while back was almost as good as the instructions, but I'll take a look and see if I can find the actual instructions that came with my kit.

**edit** the article was sept 04, I feel significantly older now.
I have a copy of the pages saved if you'd like those also.

**edit2**
links (I had forgotten how detailed the instructions were)
instructions - http://www.b18c5eg.com/Korbach/Instructions.pdf
Article - http://www.b18c5eg.com/Korbach/HondaTuning.pdf

ignore my previous statement. Instructions > Article

Last edited by Relic1; 08-21-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Relic1
I thought the Honda Tuning EK how-to article on them a while back was almost as good as the instructions, but I'll take a look and see if I can find the actual instructions that came with my kit.

**edit** the article was sept 04, I feel significantly older now.
I have a copy of the pages saved if you'd like those also.

**edit2**
links (I had forgotten how detailed the instructions were)
instructions - http://www.b18c5eg.com/Korbach/Instructions.pdf
Article - http://www.b18c5eg.com/Korbach/HondaTuning.pdf

ignore my previous statement. Instructions > Article
i Remeber when that article came out. I bought a set and installed them.
Honestley it was one of the Best investments ive made for my Honda Civic SiR.

I just looked up the company to see if they still make them. but i think they did stop. it was a limited run. but a great product.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 121 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, way to bump a thread about a product that's been out of production for years.

I have them too. They are great. Wish they had made them for the rear though too. The hatch area creaks like crazy ever since I installed their front kit... lol