0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Another ISB/TOB debate.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ISB/TOB debate.

I have been looking and looking and researching and researching and I CANNOT come to a conclusion! I have searched other car forums, Honda Tech, youtube videos, and dozens of google searches, as well as asked a service manager at the dealership I used to work at. Here are my symptoms, and I need a definite answer because this is driving me nuts.

1. When idling in neutral, clutch out, there is a whirring noise, accompanied by small rattling noises, heard outside the car as well as in the cabin (music off).
2. When idling in neutral, clutch in, the noise goes away completely, both outside the car and inside the car.
3. When in first gear, clutch in, the noise is gone.
4. When in first or second gear, clutch out, about 5 to 10 mph, and light to medium throttle, there is a weird louder whirring noise that overcomes the sound of everything else. I have suspected it had something to do with the diff, because if I turn the wheel, it becomes more ON-OFF-ON-OFF, rather than constant. This whirring noise goes away after about 3k rpm. I cannot notice the noise in any other gears because my exhaust is very loud and I always have the windows down (wind noise).
5. However, I have noticed that under moderate to heavy throttle in first or second gear, that noise doesn't come up at all, but rather sounds clean and crisp just like the idle when the clutch is in.

I am stumped. I have heard good explanations from both sides, it's the input shaft bearing because of this, or it's the throwout bearing because of this. Can somebody please help me with this? I really would like to know which it is but I have searched until I have exhausted myself. Thanks.

And grumblemarc please don't try to post google link stuff because believe me, I just spent the last hour and a half on there.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Another ISB/TOB debate.

It's simple. TOB = sound when foot down on clutch. ISB = sound when foot off clutch.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
It's simple. TOB = sound when foot down on clutch. ISB = sound when foot off clutch.
So I'm fucked?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Not "fucked", you just have some work ahead of you. An ISB is easy, as long as you don't mind taking your time and following the FSM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Well, I don't have a jack big enough for me to get under the car, let alone remove a transmission. This blows dick. How long do I have before my transmission is effed? I've been driving with this noise for 6 months. The guys at the service garage said it was a throwout bearing and that it would be replaced when the clutch was replaced. I have the clutch kit, was just waiting to have them put it in...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Some people drive on a bad ISB for years and years without it blowing up. I've actually only heard of one completely failing, but that was at high revs on a track, and it took the entire transmission with it. I drove on mine whining for about a year and a half before replacing it, and it came out in three pieces.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ha ha speaking of....
...I read an old thread of yours dating back to 2011 when you were saying you drove all winter on a bad isb when I was searching for answers.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That was probably shortly after I replaced it.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Bump for more opinions.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is pretty much it. No need for further opinions (which have no place in a tech forum). If you really Googled, then jbpnoman should have confirmed your research. Common problems with common and simple diagnosis. Perhaps you like making simple things complicated.

A poll? OMG.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 09-09-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A throw-out bearing is usually noisy when the clutch pedal is pressed and then is quiet when the clutch is engaged.
Throw out bearing is bad when you push the clutch to the floor and hear noises. Input shaft bearing is bad when you hear noises when the clutch is let out (not pushed to the floor).
Since pushing in the clutch makes the noise go away its the ISB. When the clutch is in everything in the transmission stops spinning, that's why the noise goes away.

A bad throw-out bearing would be the opposite, making noise when the clutch is in, stopping when it's out. The only time the throw-out bearing spins is when you're on the clutch.
If the clutch is engaged and there is a whirring noise it is most likely the input shaft bearing
I can find more.

Learn how parts of your car work. Do better research. Seek out answers from knowledgeable people, like the moderators that frequent this forum, on this site so you don't confuse yourself.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:45 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

No CRX poll option no care. Besides your answer is in the thread already.