Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ANOTHER idle problem thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANOTHER idle problem thread...

hey dudes I'm Conor. New to signing up but ive known of the forum for a while now but usually found all the info i need if id had trouble with my civic.

However i have this one head F**k of a situation with my ek. having spent a while now looking thru google and the forums etc ive decided to post hoping someone can help me out! basicaly as the title says...once my car heats up to operating temp (or under heavy driving) it starts doing the idle hunting thing, not too extreme only between about 1000-1500 but its very annoying, im sure the route of the problem comes from this... it is a pipe thats been blocked off (by the garage as there was coolant dripping out of it) under my TB and after reasearch ive found its a coolant bypass. ive noticed one pipe goes in that comes from my iacv however no pipe leaves? and never has done well possibly at some point but never from me owning the car.

i understand it should go somewhere as ive seen from pictures some people (depending on what intake manifold have) a little nipple next to the nipple that has the 'U' shaped hose going from i.m to the block. although i dont have this...im pretty sure this is the reason for the iratic idle.

again, sorry to ramble on im just trying to explain the best i can in the hope someone will actualy know what im going on about...

thanks in advance, heres some pics for my car and the engine and the blocked outlet under the tb. (excuse the quality they are via photobucket from my iphone.)

Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ANOTHER idle problem thread...

really... no help? atleast a point in the right direction would be appreciated...help a fellow honda brother out!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice looking car. Try not to watch the forums after you post, it drives me crazy not getting replies as well

What have you tried so far? Do you have a CEL light on? Do you have any loss of power/etc?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for propps on the car, and thanks for the heads up im just being impatient. its been twisting my brain for a while now and its driving me mad.

no lights on no CEL codes, long story short the coolant 'pass-valve' never had any pipe on it before just a brass nipple...car went in for valve stem seals as it started burning oil and when it came back from the garage the idle surge was far more frequent and a little more aggressive if you like.

its got to be something with that blocked off pipe surely (the mechanic said he only blocked it off as he spent some time searching where it was supposed to go but there was nowhere to his knowlege), as the coolant wont be allowed to pass freely thru the iacv and my idea (could be wrong) is its just sitting in it as at the other end it comes to a dead end, i dont have too much technical knowlage just some basic stuff, which is also annoying!

could the blocked end be 'T' - ed, into another hose thus getting the coolant flowing thru iacv and in turn thru the bypass valve =S

ive attempted cleaning my iacv, reaplacing injector seals and the head/intake/exhaust gaskets were changed when the head came off so surely wouldnt be that either.

thanks again, Conor.

Last edited by conor-ek4; 08-11-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, i figured i'd take the pipe off to see if it made any difference however it started spraying coolant out (as you would expect) but it never done this before as there was no pipe there and no loss of coolant...if it did come out it would have been minimal as it had gone totally un-noticed!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm no professional but you seem convinced it's related to the IACV not getting coolant, so I would start there. You should be able to get the blocked coolant line to the correct spot, or I guess as long as you run in back into the cooling system somewhere you should be okay.

The idle could be caused by air in the cooling system, and that may be because of the improper hose configuration.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump - for help?