Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another iacv problem please help!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another iacv problem please help!

I have a b16 in my 96 Civic Dx converted to obd1 and running a chipped p28. My problem is when the motor first starts to get warm, it surges from around 1100rpm to 1500rpm, then stops and idles fine after it reaches full operating temp, but if I rev it up a little bit it will start surging for a few seconds then stop again. When I unplug the iacv it quits surging and idles perfectly. I did have to modify the original 3 wire plug to 2 wire by removing the orange wire. I am guessing that the iacv is bad, but I just want to make sure there isn't something else I can try before buying a new one. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

EDIT:
I tried cleaning the iacv with carb cleaner and it still does the same thing

EDIT AGAIN:
Tried the FITV fix and it still surges

Modified by 96MidoriHatch at 12:00 PM 11/17/2004

Modified by 96MidoriHatch at 12:00 PM 11/17/2004
Old 11-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another iacv problem please help! (96MidoriHatch)

try cleaning it with some brake cleaner and getting all the **** out of it. I had this problem but never fixed it, then a dumb bitch hit my car so i do nto know the exact answer you are looking for
Old 11-08-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Another iacv problem please help! (slowdx9585)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowdx9585 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try cleaning it with some brake cleaner and getting all the **** out of it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oops I forgot to say that I already tried that and it didn't work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowdx9585 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> then a dumb bitch hit my car so i do nto know the exact answer you are looking for</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to hear that
Old 11-08-2004, 03:55 PM

Take out the IACV and tighten the whitish/creamish thing in there w/ a flat head screw driver but be careful. turn it clockwise like how you would tightening anything else.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: (TheIntegraGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheIntegraGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take out the IACV and tighten the whitish/creamish thing in there w/ a flat head screw driver but be careful. turn it clockwise like how you would tightening anything else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay I'll give that a try, thanks.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96MidoriHatch)

don't try that, you don't take the IACV apart, you take the FITV apart. He's talking FITV, which is under the throttle body, you could try and make sure that's not the problem by warming up the car really good and putting your finger on the lower hole of the throttle body just before the intake, if the bottom hole is sucking in air, then you need to work on the FITV.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: (Falqon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheIntegraGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take out the IACV and tighten the whitish/creamish thing in there w/ a flat head screw driver but be careful. turn it clockwise like how you would tightening anything else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

don't do that kurt thats what i had to do to my FITV.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: (CivicHatchback14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could try and make sure that's not the problem by warming up the car really good and putting your finger on the lower hole of the throttle body just before the intake, if the bottom hole is sucking in air, then you need to work on the FITV.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm pretty sure that it is the iacv because when i unplug it the car idles fine
Old 11-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, but there's more to it than that logic. It's idling wrong because it is running lean, and the ECU is searching because there is too much air going through the intake. When you unplug the IACV, you are stopping it from letting air into the intake, so it could be your problem, or you could have too much air coming in somewhere else, and unplugging the IACV stops air that is supposed to be there and compensates for the air that isn't supposed to go in.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, but there's more to it than that logic. It's idling wrong because it is running lean, and the ECU is searching because there is too much air going through the intake. When you unplug the IACV, you are stopping it from letting air into the intake, so it could be your problem, or you could have too much air coming in somewhere else, and unplugging the IACV stops air that is supposed to be there and compensates for the air that isn't supposed to go in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So basically what you are saying is that there might be a vacuum leak, right? I have sprayed carb cleaner on just about everything that could possibly let air in and I haven't found anything, that's why I think that there is something wrong with the iacv, but I guess it could be something with the throttle body like maybe the butterfly is bent or something like that, but then again i would think that if that was the problem is would surge all the time. AHHH i dunno
Old 11-10-2004, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your P28 chipped with?

When you unplug the IACV - what does the idle settle down to?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

I'm saying you need to put your finger over the bottom hole after the car is warmed up and tell us if it is sucking air in or not, that will eliminate the FITV.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 PM

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is your P28 chipped with?

When you unplug the IACV - what does the idle settle down to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

around 800 to 900rpm
Old 11-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/Badidle.html
Old 11-10-2004, 11:24 PM

Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

i wish i could just unplug something to make my **** run right i hope you get this solved. keep us updated!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: (Chris M)

Okay, I pulled of my intake tube and covered the bottom hole inside the throttle body and it was still sucking, although very slightly. When I covered the top hole the rpms would drop down to about 500 rpm, almost to the point of dying. Can anyone tell me what that means?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the RPM change at all when you covered the lower one? That's what's important

I can tell you exactly why your RPM's dropped when you covered the top one, that's the hole your engine sucks in air so it can idle!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that means your iacv is letting air in, but when the car is warmed up and you put your finger over the upper hole is should die off. are you throwing a code?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: (bleh)

There is no code, and the idle does not change when I cover the lower hole. I was told that because the car does not die when I cover the top hole that means I have a vacuum leak somewhere, is that correct?
Old 11-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that depends on whether the car is warmed up or not. if you cover the top hole and the car doesnt stall after warming up then you have a vacuum leak...somewhere. also when you unplug your iacv the idle should be at 500 after being warmed up with no electrical load or anything.

i would first follow the steps in disabling your fitv then if that doesnt help start checking for vacuum leaks.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

double post...sorry
Old 11-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=bleh]also when you unplug your iacv the idle should be at 500 after being warmed up with no electrical load or anything.
[\QUOTE]

On a B16? I've always heard 700-800.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On a B16? I've always heard 700-800.</TD></TR></TABLE> after the iacv is unplugged? not the normal idle
Old 11-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, unplug the IACV, then set the idle to 750 plus or minus 50 rpms. That's what I read.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bleh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that depends on whether the car is warmed up or not. if you cover the top hole and the car doesnt stall after warming up then you have a vacuum leak...somewhere. also when you unplug your iacv the idle should be at 500 after being warmed up with no electrical load or anything.

i would first follow the steps in disabling your fitv then if that doesnt help start checking for vacuum leaks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even when the car warms up all the way, it still does not die when i put my finger over the top hole.

I'm going to give the FITV thing a try today. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another iacv problem please help!