Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another engine Debate B K H?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another engine Debate B K H?

Ok, i've done my research, and for expense purposes, or so I thought, I decided on putting a B18C into my 95 egcx. Now I'm realizing that for about the same price (around 4-5k) i'm able to purchase a complete swap for my hatch.
Now...
The situation I have is that i'm military and I live on an island, so I don't have a specific place to do my swap. I do all of my auto work at the "hobby shop" on base, I have plenty of tools, and lets pretend I have some time to work on it. I know the b swap would be easiest, but this is my first import, I've done plenty of domestics, and just sold my 12sec 5.0. (Not exactly street legal here ) Anyway, just looking for a few tips from others who have been somewhere near this same situation, and have done their swaps to see what they think, and ideas, tips are appreciated... Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (j_man104)

K for fast times most money.

b cheap and easy to install

h for fast times. somewhat expensive to swap in.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (iLOVEmyEMone)

k good **** pricey and some fabbing on the mounts
b itll drop right in and a million of mod for them and inexpensive
h i wouldnt waste my time
Old 01-11-2006, 08:48 PM

T

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (x93coupex)

I dont get it why does everybody hate the H series. Do you realize its putting out just about the same power and a lil more torque than the K and none of the B's can even compare. Sure K's great but so ******* expensive and very hard to install. Yes B series are great too but everybody and they're momma has one. Okay yes you will have headaches with H series but what swap doesn't have at least a couple headaches. If you can afford the K get the K, if you want the next best thing to that route in N/A perspective which yes can be a challenge get the H. or just drop a B series in there and boost it.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (H22JDMEG)

b-series....its a dime a dozen and like what was stated earlier...tons of mods
Old 01-11-2006, 08:54 PM

hey in no way was i hating on the H series. its a great motor. just sometimes a hassle to swap and the way that motor sits people usually have it sitting up higher and more towards the front so it throws off the center of gravity. but it can easily be fixed with a good sway bar and suspension.
but in no way am i hating on H series. the kool thing is u could put on intake header and exhasut and beat probably 99% of cars out there freeway and anywhere!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (iLOVEmyEMone)

H is just fun, and also the motors/trannys tend to be cheaper. B16s for some reason are real expensive.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:57 PM

Default Re: (Redline96LX)

my b-16 isnt expensive at all
Old 01-11-2006, 09:52 PM

it sounds like you dont have much time, and it also sounds like you arent too familiar with hondas...the best setup for you would be to throw a b18c in.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:02 PM
NooB

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

ACCEPT NO OTHER.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (K SERIES)

The best set up for you might not be the best set up for me. I have owned the b,h, and k series before and they all are great. I will admit the k-series shocked me on how fast it was stock, the h-series felt real nice with the torque, and the gsr built all motor was no joke . But you should sit down and think how much money do you have and then go see what swap you can afford now or do like a smart man would if you want a k-series save your money till you get enough money get one. Just get what you want the first time and do it right the first time. Don't let cost spoil your dream , it may take time to get it but good things come to those who wait. Thats just my thought on it.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont get it why does everybody hate the H series. Do you realize its putting out just about the same power and a lil more torque than the K and none of the B's can even compare. Sure K's great but so ******* expensive and very hard to install. Yes B series are great too but everybody and they're momma has one. Okay yes you will have headaches with H series but what swap doesn't have at least a couple headaches. If you can afford the K get the K, if you want the next best thing to that route in N/A perspective which yes can be a challenge get the H. or just drop a B series in there and boost it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because the transmission sucks. Thats why the H gets hated on.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because the transmission sucks. Thats why the H gets hated on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Now you can run an H motor and B tranny for less than the cost of a K swap though. I think that'll do a lot to change people's view of the H once more people start to run the H2B.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So im guessing a d16 motor.... Out of the question
Old 01-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now you can run an H motor and B tranny for less than the cost of a K swap though. I think that'll do a lot to change people's view of the H once more people start to run the H2B. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had heard rumors about that a while back, but never knew that there was actually a product that could be used as an adapter.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Another engine Debate B K H? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had heard rumors about that a while back, but never knew that there was actually a product that could be used as an adapter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1475661

Props to skunked for a bad *** write up and before vs after comparison.

Modified by IHateJDM at 10:40 AM 1/12/2006
Old 01-12-2006, 07:38 AM

Throw in an H-series... I would've but I only had 300$ to buy me a SOHC jdm d15b LoL. If I was to do it all over again, this is the way I would go. The only people who are against it are the ones who haven't done it. I meet 2 people with EG's... 1 a 4 door and another hatch. They loved them…
Old 01-12-2006, 11:27 AM

T

Default Re: (unrefined7)

I ****** love my H series too.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22JDMEG)

Me 3
Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM

Well I just got done putting an H into my eg hatch trust me its not as hard as everyone says it is, its almost like a B just with a few more steps and much, much, much more frun to drive than a torqueless b. Ive had both b and H and i love the h much more. My grand total was 2,6xx bucks and everything is legit too.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the k is the way to go

yeah, b series has more parts for it now, but in a couple years the market is going to be flooded with k parts and engines...prices will go down and there will be more opportunity for upgrading as honda makes a better k...it is the wave of the future

and k is a sexy letter...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eg_Ryan)

H series, and heres why. If you plan on boosting, it's the only Honda engine (other than the S2000), which uses FRM sleeves. This means you can actually purchase forged pistons (Mahle Gold Series), and run high boost for a long period of time. Check out the monthly Mahle H22 thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1406865, and any of these users, including myself will tell you that this is the only and best reason to choose an H22. They offer the most torque, great bottom end, and are very reliable. This is only if you want to go boost. The H22 is great NA also, but you may want to look at B-series in that case.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (O RLY)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010

dont let your decision be based off this thread .. there are tons of threads over each engine .. pros and cons to all 3 series of motors.. i know this is off subject but any thought into boosting your D16
Old 01-12-2006, 01:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22JDMEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">....but what swap doesn't have at least a couple headaches. ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's my *******. . . I mean opinion.
B-series. Its as OE as you can get, providing the best opportunity for true realibility. In my experience, I have had no failures or problems as a result of my swap.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: (haveaniceday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pumatec8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the k is the way to go

yeah, b series has more parts for it now, but in a couple years the market is going to be flooded with k parts and engines...prices will go down and there will be more opportunity for upgrading as honda makes a better k...it is the wave of the future

and k is a sexy letter...</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't take this as a flame... if the demand for a product is high, the price will either rise or stay the same. makes sense right... why do you think B series ish are so expensive right now? and the H is rather in-expensive? nobody goes the H route and the B for bandwagon. i have to agree that the K is the engine of tomorrow, but the H isn't as shitty as everybody claims it to be. and whoever said boost the D... that's what i plan to do .

Quick Reply: Another engine Debate B K H?