Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another EG Gsr swap wont start!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Another EG Gsr swap wont start!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys let me start by saying I searched and checked all the threads about this problem it didnt help

So here we go I just put my 97 GSR obd2 motor into my 93 vx hatch and ofcourse it wont start

I have plenty of fuel pressure I saw my injectors spray...I checked spark I have plenty of strong spark..Firing order is right on...Compression is good but the motor just cranks and cranks then I get a little back fire so I know the fuel is burning I just cant get it to catch

I have an obd1 z6 harness..Obd1 fuel injectors...Converted my dizzy to obd1..Im just trying to get it to start with a po6 not drive until I get my chipped p28 in a couple days...I checked and re checked all grounds checked my dizzy rotor and everything....

The gsr engine was in my gsr integra and ran perfect before I pulled it so timing is good everything is wired up I have a complete wire tuck on the hatch fuse box in the glove box the whole 9 yards..lol....Im completley lost now

Any input????????? I have till monday to get this bad boy running
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Another EG Gsr swap wont start!!!!!!!!!!

CEL codes? Have you checked the mechanical timing? Is spark bright white?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All timing has been checked dizzy and engine..Spark was a bluish white I have seen the park where the dizzy was going bad and didnt have enough spark to start but my spark seems strong..The cel is on I tried to jump the connector to get the code but for some reason it refuses to flash
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You probably rewired the distributor wrong, damaged the ecu and now have a solid cel. The diagram commonly followed on this site is wrong...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redheadsSI
All timing has been checked dizzy and engine..Spark was a bluish white I have seen the park where the dizzy was going bad and didnt have enough spark to start but my spark seems strong..
Did you check for spark at all four plugs? Spark should be bright white at the plugs, with only a hint of blue that is normally difficult to see in daylight.

The cel is on I tried to jump the connector to get the code but for some reason it refuses to flash
This is called CEL code 0 and indicates either a power/ground problem in the ECU circuit, a bad ECU, or a short in the CEL/service connector circuit. A power/ground or ECU problem is unlikely if the fuel pump primes and there is spark at the plugs.

Post pictures of the cam and crank positioned at TDC1, and the firing order of the plug wires in the cap and fuel injector connectors on the rail.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
You probably rewired the distributor wrong, damaged the ecu and now have a solid cel. The diagram commonly followed on this site is wrong...
Distributor is wired right even double checked Also not my first dizzy rewire..Tried a different ecu also

I have spark and fuel pump primes I dont think its a power/ground issue...I wil try to post pics as soon as I can....The car is in the garage So when the lights are off and the door closed Its pitch black Then I checked the spark but I will go over it again.....Thanks guys for posting so fast
Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry guys I somehow had the wrong firing order...I checked online and saw the same pic 50 times....Just got the right fring order she starts ruff but thats expected...time to work on the little things.....thanks guys
Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can check one of your fuses same thing happen to me its in the fuse box that is suppose in the engine bay
Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phaphon
you can check one of your fuses same thing happen to me its in the fuse box that is suppose in the engine bay
Originally Posted by redheadsSI
I somehow had the wrong firing order