Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another DIY [EG6] City Lights into USDM Housings

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another DIY [EG6] City Lights into USDM Housings

Figured I'd continue my little DIY write-ups even if they have been covered. I just always have an itch for documenting the things I do on my car. Comments are of course welcomed and appreciated but the aim is more for future H-T'ers to be able to find DIYs on this forum.

So this is a write-up on putting city lights onto a USDM headlight housing using sidemarker sockets.

First off, you'll need sidemarker sockets and bulbs. I had two sets of sidemarkers so I figured why not. Plus I had a pair of headlights sitting at home waiting for me to mess around with.

The bulb I believe are 168/194s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Next, I was looking around the forum for pictures of city lights so I can get an approximation on where it's located on the housing... This is what I got. I marked it with a pen.

I thought because the housing didn't have a flat surface made specifically for the city lights would cause a problem but in the end, the curves helped the city light sockets sit more snug.

Next up, I used my handy dremel to get the hole. I believe it's easiest you have a dremel, to use the drill bit and then push out towards the side to increase the size of the hole, just big enough to fit another one of the larger fittings in there and keep going at it until the hole is the size of the pen's outline. Then put the drill bit back on. You'll need it test fit the socket into the hole and mark out the three points on the socket that sticks out. Now be careful not to make them too big otherwise it may come loose in the future.

At the same time this DIY was underway, I was also painting my rims so I decided to paint my housings to keep my 'dark-ish' look.

But back to the DIY, after test fitting and adding some wirings to the socket, this is how it looks as it sits on the housing.

I had the assembly bracket off when I did this and when putting it back on, for a second I thought the sockets where going to be in the way but luckily, made it by an inch or so.

So here's how the finished product looks mounted and all.
FYI, the sockets came out of my clear sidemarkers which came with the amber bulbs so for now I have no other choice, atleast not until I decide to go out and buy some new ones.

Modified by fms1day at 9:06 PM 6/18/2006
Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another DIY [EG6] City Lights into USDM Housings (fms1day)

Definitely a good write up. This'll be great for the folks who don't want to get the JDM headlights.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Another DIY [EG6] City Lights into USDM Housings (aallbbeerrtttttt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aallbbeerrtttttt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you ricer, go get some jdm headlights =P...help me do this to my EF haha

sick ride johnny</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks albert
Old 06-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Another DIY [EG6] City Lights into USDM Housings (fms1day)

Good writeup. Maybe something for me to do in the future.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Another DIY [EG6] City Lights into USDM Housings (JDM-EJ1)

What about condensation in the headlamps? Maybe we could use a sealant around the holes you drilled?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice write up
Old 06-18-2006, 10:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about condensation in the headlamps? Maybe we could use a sealant around the holes you drilled?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah perhaps... But then it'd make changing the bulbs a b*tch. I haven't encountered any... yet. But I was hoping the rubber piece and the tightness of the fitting would create a good enough seal.. I'll keep a lookout, definitely.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice diy
Old 06-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another DIY [EG6] City Lights into USDM Housings (EkSi)

Cool stuff.