Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another civic starting problem? Help is welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another civic starting problem? Help is welcomed

Ok so I have a 93 Honda civic dx hatch 1.5 auto. So I'm driving to work and the car just stalls and turns off out of the blue . Ok so I try to start it again and nothing. So I know it's not a battery nor fuel cause battery is new and just finished pumping gas in it so there is gas full tank. So knowing that this happened to me before I came to a conclusion that my dizzy went out . Ok so I found dizzy for a cx hatch and I thought it was going to be the same so I bought it but to my ****ing luck when I go to mount it the bracket does not match up to the dx one so I was ****ed. But I needed to move the car so I put it in anyway and used some vice grips to hold it in to placed and boom it started like a champ. So I got home parked it and took the dizzy out went to auto zone to get a new dizzy for my dx and installed it now once again no start it cranks and cranks but nothing. The battery dies before the car starts. I check fuses to see if any of them are popped they are all fine . I check for the fuel pump to turn on or prime and it does . I changed my ecus and still nothing . So I'm all out of ideas I need to get this car to run it's my winter beater I all out of ideas what else am I missing or forgetting to check or change?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Another civic starting problem? Help is welcomed

Is there bright white spark at the plugs? If so, is the firing order of the plug wires on the distributor cap correct? If not, does the Blk/Yel wire attached to the coil and igniter unit inside the distributor have voltage with the key in ON(II)?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so today I figured out that I was putting the spark plug wires in the wrong order so I ended up gettin new wires cap and rotor and spark plugs. Installed them and still nothing. I see spark it just cranks and cranks and still nothing . I checked for continuity and no wire is spliced so I
know that I'm getting power from the ecu and dizzy and battery . So I'm all out of ideas this is driving me crazy
Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is spark bright white?

The cylinders are ordered 4-3-2-1 as you go from the distributor to the timing belt. Are your wires installed in the order shown in the diagram below?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I
got a haynes maunal and did it right it has spark. It just does crank and crank and nada . I don't know what else it can be . Just one other thing that I think it might be is the main relay . Is there a way where u can tell I it's bad. I was reading that if you turn the key on and here the three chimes that means it's fine . But in my Case I don't here nothing I just here the pump and then a click. Can that be my problem or am I Just reading myths from the Internet on main relays
Old 11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If spark is bright white at all four plugs, then check the mechanical timing to see whether the timing belt slipped and compression test the cylinders.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Th timing belt is on I removed the timing cover to
check
Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaon18's
Th timing belt is on I removed the timing cover to
check
You would not have spark if the timing belt had snapped. What you need to do is check whether the belt skipped a tooth or two:

Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the ignition coil
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so my coil is good cause it brand new came with the new dizzy! Also if my belt skipped some teeth then the car would not start that is what ur saying Ron ? What is another way to determine if out of timing
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also can a main relay cause the car not to start
Old 11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your fuel pump primes and you have spark, so a bad main relay is an unlikely culprit.

The diagram shows the positions of the cam and crank pulleys when the piston in cylinder 1 is at Top Dead Center (TDC1). Remove the valve cover and the upper timing belt cover and put the transmission in neutral. Then use a 17-mm socket on a breaker bar to turn the crank pulley COUNTERCLOCKWISE ONLY until the cam pulley is perfectly positioned at TDC1. Then look down from the cam pulley at the pointer on the lower timing belt cover to see whether it aligns perfectly with the TDC1 white mark on the crank pulley. If not, the timing belt slipped.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your key switch will some times allow the car to run but then will intermittently cut out.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok will do that now on the main relay I read that if you hear three clicks the relay is fine . Do on my car I don't hear no clicks at all no chimes nothing . So is that normal ? Also I'm getting the information off The website tegger.com so I don't know if his is legit or not
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tegger site is great. If the fuel pump primes and the CEL turns on and then off after 2 seconds, then the main relay must make at least two clicks.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The clicks or the chimes like the regular Honda makes . Cause I have two other honda's and when I start them I hear beep beep beep and vroom they start. On this one I don't hear no beeps just one click and that's that I put my hand on the relay and just felt one click so is that normal
Old 11-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the CEL turn on and then off after 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II)?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It comes on and then goes off
Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It comes on and then goes off
Check the mechanical timing.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok will do thanks for the help Ron will update tomorrow
Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I popes off the value cover and timing cover and noticed that my timing belt is loose and that I can litterly take slide the belt off the pulley is that suppose to be like that or did I find my problem
Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I noticed that the mark on the cam gear is aligned to the mark on the cover of the timing cover and the. When I look at the bottom of the of the harmonic balancer I look at the mark and noticed that the mark on the timing cover does not line up to the harmonic balance. So now How easy is it to line it back up or fix it ?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How far out of alignment are the white TDC1 mark and the pointer?

But honestly, after a timing belt has slipped, you should replace it and then compression test the cylinders. Otherwise you risk major engine damage in the near future, if this has not already happened.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so to be more specific I put the car in neutral and turned the crank clockwise to align the cam gear to top dead center once that I looked at the bottom for the crank and I see the spot where the white mark has to be at and it's a few inches ahead of the mark . So that means that I not in sync with the cam gear right
Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The diagram shows the positions of the cam and crank pulleys when the piston in cylinder 1 is at Top Dead Center (TDC1). Remove the valve cover and the upper timing belt cover and put the transmission in neutral. Then use a 17-mm socket on a breaker bar to turn the crank pulley COUNTERCLOCKWISE ONLY until the cam pulley is perfectly positioned at TDC1. Then look down from the cam pulley at the pointer on the lower timing belt cover to see whether it aligns perfectly with the TDC1 white mark on the crank pulley. If not, the timing belt slipped.
Ok so to be more specific I put the car in neutral and turned the crank clockwise to align the cam gear to top dead center once that I looked at the bottom for the crank and I see the spot where the white mark has to be at and it's a few inches ahead of the mark . So that means that I not in sync with the cam gear right

Quick Reply: Another civic starting problem? Help is welcomed