Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another... CAR WONT START thread. Come in and CHIME thy wizd0m!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another... CAR WONT START thread. Come in and CHIME thy wizd0m!

95 Integra LS in EK body

Heres the deal. My car is working perfectly fine one night, the next morning its dead. It cranks, but doesnt start. It sounds like its about to start... about 1/2 the way to start, then it dies. Crank the **** out again, it dies, dead, dead dead.

I tow it to the family mechanic. The mechanic told me that the blocks compression is 70:0:60:75. He says the head might be damaged, so imma need it revalved, or replaced. Meaning he wants to replace the whole motor. $1500 installed. Is he bullshitting me?

Some HT peeps, tell me to just replace the rings and pistons, and hone out the cylinder, and then i should be fine. Buying new rings/pistons or replacing the whole short block came to mind. I was content with this.

Then another HT member, told me that its probably not my motor, or rings since it died outta nowhere. Saying that rings eventually die, and even if a piston died, it would still run on 3 pistons. Pistons/rings and block doesnt die overnight so he says. He also said timing belt also gives 0 compression.

Im going to need more info from you guys on this, im really stumped.

Please help if you can...

more info:

the night before it died... i went to work and back nothing too crazy. about a 60 mile commute.
i also have clutch problems. seemed like there was a leak in the slave clutch cylinder, my resevoir would drain, and then id have to fill it up again. this happened twice... it was weird because itd drain but then it would be fine for a week, then drain again.

took it to a mechanic and he looked at the area around the head, said he saw a little bit of oil, but nothing too serious. he said i woudlnt have to change that til a while.

i had over heating issues a while back. it used to overheat when i was idle, meaning that the fan wouldnt turn on? but i was really never in traffic so i havent noticed that recently. checked my radiator fluid a week ago and was full.

i think thats all of the info.

oh yea, i got an amp installed last week... ?

Modified by chewbakha at 1:30 PM 5/16/2006
Old 05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another... CAR WONT START thread. Come in and CHIME thy wizd0m! (chewbakha)

check for spark. or main relay
Old 05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another... CAR WONT START thread. Come in and CHIME thy wizd0m! (siregcivic)

how? u mean spark plugs? and main relay whats that<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check for spark. or main relay</TD></TR></TABLE>

the batterys fine, music plays and ****

how do i check for starter?

after trying to crank the **** out of it, my engine like 1/2 starts. Like itll sound like its about to start, but just die, then crank again, repeat, crank die.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another... CAR WONT START thread. Come in and CHIME thy wizd0m! (chewbakha)

Called my mechanic today, engine is dead.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up

Modified by chewbakha at 12:36 PM 5/16/2006
Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more info:

the night before it died... i went to work and back nothing too crazy. about a 60 mile commute.
i also have clutch problems. seemed like there was a leak in the slave clutch cylinder, my resevoir would drain, and then id have to fill it up again. this happened twice... it was weird because itd drain but then it would be fine for a week, then drain again.

took it to a mechanic and he looked at the area around the head, said he saw a little bit of oil, but nothing too serious. he said i woudlnt have to change that til a while.

i had over heating issues a while back. it used to overheat when i was idle, meaning that the fan wouldnt turn on? but i was really never in traffic so i havent noticed that recently. checked my radiator fluid a week ago and was full.

i think thats all of the info.

oh yea, i got an amp installed last week... ?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have your family mechanic check the timing. a buddy of mine had an almost identical problem. he spilled oil on his valvecover while carelessly putting oil in. about a half of a quart went out b4 he got it under control. i'd have helped but i was laughing too hard. well a couple days later he had engine troubles. it just died on him. we checked everything. and i mean everything. we ended up getting compression readings that were something like 75-15-80-0 or something like that. but anyways. the oil got onto the timing belt and the exhaus cam slipped 2 teeth throwing EVERYTHING off internally. a timing light might not even detect it for certain. with the timing cover off the cam gears have little marks you line up together along with a mark on the crank. if that it the prob it sux to make perfect but work at it and you'll get it. hopefully this helps. good luck

damn long post
Old 05-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another... CAR WONT START thread. Come in and CHIME thy wizd0m! (93b18civic)

try pushing it and try to start it while its rollin! worth a try!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another... CAR WONT START thread. Come in and CHIME thy wizd0m! (93b18civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93b18civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have your family mechanic check the timing. a buddy of mine had an almost identical problem. he spilled oil on his valvecover while carelessly putting oil in. about a half of a quart went out b4 he got it under control. i'd have helped but i was laughing too hard. well a couple days later he had engine troubles. it just died on him. we checked everything. and i mean everything. we ended up getting compression readings that were something like 75-15-80-0 or something like that. but anyways. the oil got onto the timing belt and the exhaus cam slipped 2 teeth throwing EVERYTHING off internally. a timing light might not even detect it for certain. with the timing cover off the cam gears have little marks you line up together along with a mark on the crank. if that it the prob it sux to make perfect but work at it and you'll get it. hopefully this helps. good luck

damn long post </TD></TR></TABLE>

it does help alot actually.
but i did already ask my mechanic if he checked the timing etc etc. he replied, yes we checked everything ur going to need a new short block and possibly a new head.
they said they did compression test.
i asked, can u do a leak down test?
but apparantly most shops dont evne know what a leak down test is.
i got yelled over the phone by my mechanic
"you think ur so smart why dont u tow ur car home and do this "leak down test""

whata dick

Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u live near so cal .. i can help you out.. its hard for me to describe how to do things online.. maybe if u have aim.. hit me up.. mikessircivic
Old 05-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chewbakha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it does help alot actually.
but i did already ask my mechanic if he checked the timing etc etc. he replied, yes we checked everything ur going to need a new short block and possibly a new head.
they said they did compression test.
i asked, can u do a leak down test?
but apparantly most shops dont evne know what a leak down test is.
i got yelled over the phone by my mechanic
"you think ur so smart why dont u tow ur car home and do this "leak down test""

whata dick

</TD></TR></TABLE>
if they dont even know what a leakdown test is <FONT SIZE="15">GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!</FONT> cause they dont know ****