Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Brake Question....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Brake Question....

i've been reading various posts on "rear disk conversions gone bad" and even though there have been plenty of ideas on the matter, i still can't seem to find a answer to my problem ;] so here it is:

i have a 97 hatch (CX)...it has the stock brakes up front and '00 Si Brakes in the rear.....i have been experiencing some "noise" from the rears and came to hondatech to hopefully find some answers...i am now aware of the "disk and drum" difference (drums require more pressure than disks) and so far, some say to swap the master cylinder or to swap the proportioning valve....some even say to do both and upgrade the front brakes as well (for "brake balance") which leaves me with some questions....

1) is there anything i can do to fix this problem WITHOUT having to replace the front brakes? (ie, a new master cylinder or proportioning valve or combination of both) and if so, what would you reccomend?

2) and if i have to upgrade the front brakes, should i try and get my hands on Si fronts (to match the rears) or just go for an aftermarket setup?

any help or insight is greatly appreciated,
thanks,

jason <----
Old 10-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another Brake Question.... (sekone)

So you kept your stock prop valve when you switched to rear disk brakes? You should get an Si prop valve installed instead. Now as far as this noise, what does it sounds like exactly? It could be a variety of things from bad brake pads, to frozen calipers, or bad bearins, etc. You don't have to get bigger brakes or a bigger MC and brake booster if you don't want to but I would recommend it, you will notice a better braking feel....
Old 10-22-2003, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Brake Question.... (EVIL_Vap133)

Don't think that the SI prop valve would be any better than his current setup. the SI prop valve is intended to be used with large front brakes, whereas he has the small brakes on his hatch.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another Brake Question.... (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't think that the SI prop valve would be any better than his current setup. the SI prop valve is intended to be used with large front brakes, whereas he has the small brakes on his hatch.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? I thought it was for rear disk brakes. I have bigger brakes up front with my stock prop valve and rear drums and I have no problems whatsoever. When I get my rear disk brakes installed I will have to get an Si prop valve.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sekone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..i am now aware of the "disk and drum" difference (drums require more pressure than disks) jason &lt;----</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong.. Drums use less pressure Disks use more pressure.. disks have less surface area v.s drums

Now you should of changed the porportioning valve with the system since the one you have on now will only do so little on stopping the car. As far as noise goes like someone already said it could be anything.. you need to be specific on when and how the noise happens
Old 10-22-2003, 10:58 AM

thanks for the replies guys ;]

and as for the noise, it happens when i am braking and its a "Click, Click, Click" type sound....like there is a spot in the rotor or like something is loose...i've checked all the bolts and nuts and everything, and it all tight...i made sure there to put on that anit-sieze stuff also...i mean, the car seems to brake fine....i haven't had trouble stopping at all, its just uncomforting to hear that everytime i stop....i'm sure i will figure something out

thank you again for your suggestions,

jason &lt;---