Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

another b20 in eg timing issue -need input

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 another b20 in eg timing issue -need input

alright i recently adjust the timing belt and lined up the cam gears with the crank pulley problem now is that when i line up the tdc mark on the crank pulley the cam gears are slightly pointing to the right and its off like a couple of milimeters not to much problem is that if i adjust it to the next tooth its slightly off to the left need any input cause i dont want to start it up again and bang up some valves or pistons so any one with some helpfull knowledge just let me know trying to get this thing going already
Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: another b20 in eg timing issue -need input

leave it with the millimeter way and tighten the tensioner(while taking out slack), rotate it with a ratchet on the crank and bring it around three times, all the slack should give in and line up
Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah actually when i didnt tighten up the tensioner and before i rotated it it was dead on but after i rotated it and tightened up the tensioner it was off
Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait did you tighten the tensioner before or after you rotated it. its best to take out some slack and then rotate it. if you come back around and its on then find the slack spot and make it come up in the water pump-intake cam gear area and then take out the rest of the slack. see what that does for you
Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i found the prob but i rotated it three times then i tighten it while rotating the crank and than torqued down the tensioner problem was that the arrows that are on the cam gears arent at tdc when they are directly pointing up i guess that was my issue since the stupid haynes book didnt specify this it only said to point them up and level them with the block and use the holes to keep them in place however on the pr8 head it has the holes slightly off to the right so that the arrows dont point exactly straight up and they dont line up level with the head so when i used the holes as the guide it was dead on with the mark on the crank pulley so i assembled the vavlve cover and put rything back to give it a try and it turned on on the first crank though the exhaust was not connected it was the best sound ive heard the car make since i blew the Gsr i had so now im off to start the crvtec now that shes finally running thanks alot dude all the info helped me out a **** load
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres also a notch in each cam gear when they line up. look on the spokes of the gear that go horizontal when the up is pointed up. theres a little ****hair notch in the gear, when those line up is when you know you are dead on. happy you could get her runnin
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i couldnt find the horizontal notch on the gear that **** pissed me off cause i googled some pics and almost every one had them i dont know if its cause the year the motor is or that its a jdm block but either way its all down hill now just got to take it to ref i know people say that you cant bar a b20 but what they dont know is that if you use allll the sensors and parts from a usdm ls block which is new or same year and have a decent cat with everything like the stock intake properly assembled you can have them run the car and test the emissions so thats what im off to do next since i asked the people who actually do the bar at the state ref at a junior college close by but thanks dude if it wasnt for ht and help from you guys i would have got rapped by a mechanic to simply turn the damn timing belt ahah no way i did the whole swap in my backyard with a jack to pick up the block and mount it might live in the surburbs but i keep it ghetto lol
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol nice. good luck with that bar business. im lucky i dont got all that out here. even emissions in my county isnt kickin yet. they complain about test pipes though. gutted high flow cat ftw!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck tring to pass a truck motor in a passenger car
Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i can i went down to the ref to inquire about the swap they said at first they cant because its for an suv but when i stated that if the emissions are the same as the 1.8 motor they said if i can lower the emissions by 2 1/2 % from that year of the motor with all usdm parts im headers exhaust sensor and all stock usdm components they will be able to pass it as long as i follow those standars they also said it has to do with the fact that congress made changes in the standards for emissions in the state of california. so basically if i can make the emmisions LOWER than what they would be if i had the stock b20 as a replacement they can bar it so yeah peace
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

owned!!