Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

annoying idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying idling problem

so for the past few weeks my car is being a Big Fat Pain, i mean seriously, so i start the car cold it idles around 1500 give or take, on a warm start it sets around 1k, but, heres the kicker, before i touch the throttle the car idles PERFECTLY i can just let the car roll and shift gears slowly and its all good, once i touch the throttle, minimal, the rpm's go to S***, they drop and fluctuate from i would say 400 to 800, and sometimes going as low as 200, this when i come to a stop at a light or put the car in neutral, and it fluctuates like that, i have to press on the gas slowly to take off again, cuz if i step on it normally or hard the car, almost like is gasping for air, the car dies on me if i press to hard too fast on the gas pedal.

the thing that screws up my mind, some days this problem does not exist, the car will work like a charm, like nothing wrong, and other days , lets say i want to sell the B****.

i did the thumb test, as its called, and with the car running plugged up the IACV hole, and the engine was running, very crappy, but it was running, so second try, i this time pulled a bit on the throttle butterfly to close it completely and this time after the hole was plugged the car died. so i really dont know whats going on. the iacv seems to be clean i just took a peek in there, but i might just take the TB out and clean it completely soon.

a little help would be of good assistance.

98 civic dx 90xxx
D16y7, 5MT
completely stock, really nothing on it for engine performance, its a DD
Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Default Re: annoying idling problem

Hey man, just wondering what kind of filter, air intake you are running...stock? other point is that you could have a problem with your throttle body/sensor. or you could be running into an ecu problem....i am just speaking from experience from similar situations that i have had. i couldnt honestly give you all that much advice because alot about cars relies on all the senses ya know.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just running a K&N drop in filter, stock air box
i need to change the filter its turning black

oh is there any specific reason why its turning black, like i washed it with the right products and its still black, and its original color is red
Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 PM

get a new filter and see what happens. fuel injected engines need suction of some sorts, i have had experiences of where there was to much suction thus resulting in similar scenarios as to what you are experiencing....or there are the situations of working on your car and then forgetting to put a tube back in the same spot and getting no suction at all...its actually your intake and throttle that are doing all this but when you get to much or two little air it creates situations....think of it like a candle, to little air and it goes out, and to much air and it will blow itself out...similar scenario with engines......last thing...k&n filters arent that great, the black stuff is the dust particles that are in the air, over time your filter will turn a darker color....k&n filters are also a pain to clean, cause when you clean em they actually dont get all that clean, its better off to just go and buy a new filter...thats just my two sense..
Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...highlight=fitv