Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Amber Climate Swap w/ how to get your temp/fan levers lit up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amber Climate Swap w/ how to get your temp/fan levers lit up!

So first, props to fungus mungus. I got this idea from reading fungus mungus' write up on the amber climate swap. I am also kind of adding on to his since a couple pics were missing that seemed relevant.
On every climate control I've seen, the temp/fan levers don't seem to light up very well, compared with the rest of the climate control. I even posted a question as to how to get them to light up better with not much response.

So being a bit weird about not having the levers light up properly, I decided to do a little probing around myself. After opening the control, I found that the levers pick up light through a a couple of smoked pieces of clear plastic. One is removed here.

So being that the levers are already way dim, I can't imagine why Honda put this in. I figured why not remove this, as it surely isn't adding to the brightness! Just get a tiny screwdriver and pop each corner out. I also got a little more creative and bought some chrome metallic tape to put in the little nooks above the lights that would hopefully reflect light down through the tiny openings for the levers.

Here's another photo looking down through the slots. See the chrome bling?

The tape came in a really wide roll, so I trimmed out what I thought would fit with a razor. It's tricky to get it in there, you may want to pull out the bulb to help wiggle it into place. Once that is in, you can put in the amber insert. I used the same lens repair kit as fungus used. Just trim and pop it in. I used super glue to hold them in.

I also glued some strips of the amber plastic to the clear piece that surrounds the buttons on top, I'm not sure if fungus did it this way. I don't think it's the best way to do it either, but it worked in my case. I did have to trim down the plastic to get it to go back together.

There were still some clear spots that I was concerned with so I glued some more to the backside of the plastic just in case.

I'll post some pics of it later once it gets dark, but just sitting in the car, I can see the levers light. Which I could not before. The whole climate control lights up amber as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Amber Climate Swap w/ how to get your temp/fan levers lit up!

pics! lol
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Amber Climate Swap w/ how to get your temp/fan levers lit up!

Here's the night pic. It looks alot better in person.

[IMG][/IMG]