Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Am i screwed? (Smoke coming from intake)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i screwed? (Smoke coming from intake)

Okay, when I try to start my car. Once in a while there will be a pop, and then the car wont start, but there will be smoke coming out of the intake.

And then on the 2nd try, the car will start fine.

WHAt the hell is going OMG im gona kill myself if all these problems dont keep coming!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am i screwed? (The-Beast)

it's white smoke, exhaust smoke it smells like....

A friend told me possibly fucked up valves?

What can cause this ?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm u either have some really fucked up valves or you have adjusted your cam gears all wrong.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

Can you tell me how to check if my cam gears are adjusted wrong?

Its a D16z6
Old 03-14-2005, 08:39 PM

ohh i thought u were runnin a b series. but your cam gear should say UP. and there are timing marks on the crank that need to be lined up. BTW have u over rev'd ur motor lately?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 PM

i would check the ignition and fuel systems first. check your cap and rotor plugs and wires. check fuel pressure too
Old 03-15-2005, 06:47 AM

i have intake on a b17 and sometimes i get that pop too, but its WHILE the car is on, never noticed smoke, only happened like 2 times, more then 2 months ago was the last, and the first a while before that, after the first time my filter was blow off (whole rubber part and all) and i just put tahtback on, 2nd time i checked for that and it was still on tight, have mugen filter short ram
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 AM

yea kinda kid

my friend had a gsr turbo and it was running good and then one day blow bye
white smoke out of the intake breather and would not start.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Am i screwed? (eg94civic)

Check your ignition all the way to spark plug wires. Then check your timing. If it does it alot DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR! You are only making it worse on yourself.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude that smoke coming out of your intake gots to be from backfiring. check your distributor, the wires at the connector especially. those are critical sensors that sense when to shoot fuel, spark,etc... check for loose connections and such.. good luck
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am i screwed? (Luserkid)

one time I turned the crank and messed with it when I didn't really know what I was doing. Do you think that's the reason?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For white smoke to come out like that, your intake valves are open at the wrong time. Caused by bad timing, or bent valves. Take your timing belt off, and redo it. If the car does it again, check out the valves.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:15 AM

Put a timing light on it, for the love of god.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am i screwed? (jlacoy82)

Sorry, I dont really know how a timing light works. So if i put the timing light on the pully then it can tell me if it's off by some teeth or whatever? <-- (See, i really dont know **** as u can see)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like an intake valve stuck open or something.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one time I turned the crank and messed with it when I didn't really know what I was doing. Do you think that's the reason?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one time I turned the crank and messed with it when I didn't really know what I was doing. Do you think that's the reason?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, your timing is probably way off. Hopefully you haven't bent a valve from things crashing in your engine. You need to get the crank and cam gears lined up properly and then check the timing. If you don't have a helms, or know what you're doing, get it to a shop, and don't drive it there.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am i screwed? (EX_AutoXer)

lol with the price to get the car towed to a shop and have them look at it would exceed the price of the motor. I would be better off getting a new one. But i'm gona put a timing light on it this weekend and see what happens. The cam gear is set to top and the pully is lined up but still it's messed up.

I haven't been able to pop recently, but still its having trouble starting which is getting frustrating. thx
Old 03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, you haven't been listening to a word these guys are saying lOl. Don't drive the bitch!, leave it alone until you can figure out whats wrong, seriously, before it disintegrates on you.

Step1 - buy a helms. Or if you want to be ghetto, DL that thing, seriously I know that you know that its out there on the net.

Step2- check your ignition timing

step3 - AFTER you read your new helms and understand the instructions, grab your tools and inspect your cam gear, Make sure that @ TDC on each cylinder the valves are doing what they're supposed to be doing.

or,

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you don't have a helms, or know what you're doing, get it to a shop, and don't drive it there.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is probably your best option at this point.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am i screwed? (HalfAnP)

slow down. First. This is just a project car and hasn't left my driveway since I swapped the motor in and test drove it.. second, ignition timing is correct, third i do not have money to take it to a shop and refuse to let anyone touch the car unless theyre teaching me. I bought this car as a shell to build it from ground up to learn how to work on it myself so i DONT have to pay someone to do things for me.

I already have a helms manual but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about popping and smoke coming out of the intake.

I'm going to put a timing light on it to see that everything is good. Last night i was messing w/ the crank and set the cam gear to top w/ the white notch lined up on the pulley and it hasn't popped since, but it's still taking a couple tries to fire up

One question. I noticed that one side of the timing belt is loose and then one side is tense, and then i can turn the crank and the opposite side will be loose and the other side is tense... Is this normal?

oh yeah P.S... Read the entire helms manual yourself first before you tell me to read the whole damn thing. I go to school full time man I can't be reading alll this or my head will explode
Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">slow down. First. This is just a project car and hasn't left my driveway since I swapped the motor in and test drove it.. second, ignition timing is correct, third i do not have money to take it to a shop and refuse to let anyone touch the car unless theyre teaching me. I bought this car as a shell to build it from ground up to learn how to work on it myself so i DONT have to pay someone to do things for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, I respect that. Thats awesome.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I already have a helms manual but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about popping and smoke coming out of the intake.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure it does, its under the PGM-FI section. under troubleshooting if I rememember correctly. Check under: Backfiring.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm going to put a timing light on it to see that everything is good. Last night i was messing w/ the crank and set the cam gear to top w/ the white notch lined up on the pulley and it hasn't popped since, but it's still taking a couple tries to fire up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Great first step. I would suggest Re-checking the ignition timing and the condition of your plugs/wires.

One question. I noticed that one side of the timing belt is loose and then one side is tense, and then i can turn the crank and the opposite side will be loose and the other side is tense... Is this normal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a tensioner issue. When was the last time the timing belt, tensioner and water pump were serviced. If its never been done and depending on what the mileage is on the car, this could be the root of your issue. Since there is poor tension on the belt, you may have jumped a tooth on your cam gear. Someone please verify this.

oh yeah P.S... Read the entire helms manual yourself first before you tell me to read the whole damn thing. I go to school full time man I can't be reading alll this or my head will explode</TD></TR></TABLE>

Too late bro, I already have! cover to cover. But I have no life other than school, my girl and my car. so its worked out.

Good luck man, keep us posted.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am i screwed? (HalfAnP)

can i tell if the belt has jumped a tooth by putting a timing gun on it?
Old 03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
TSPeed Factory

i told you so edgar. get a timing gun on there asap.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with the current state of the motor I wouldnt even want to run the thing so that kinda takes away the usefullness of a timing light doesnt it. Just a tip for anyone that doesnt enjoy replacing damaged parts.. If the motor isnt running right... dont run the motor. pretty simple and makes sense right?
Just turn the crack manually (spark plugs out will help) and check that TDC on the crank is matching TDC on the cams. If it doesnt match then youre way off. As mentioned earlier you might check that your tensioner is doing its job but you will have to take off the crak again and the lower timing belt cover to check it.