Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Am I Phucked?

Old 11-15-2003, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I Phucked?

So I received my registration renewal from the DMV today and it's the dreaded TEST ONLY!!!! grrrrr.. I have a 92 B16 motor in a Del Sol Si. Do you think they will know that it doesn't belong? Or will they just see that it should have a 1.6Vtec motor and not know that it is DOHC... Since the Del Sol was offered in the Vtec trim with a B16 stock, do you think as long as my car passes the sniffer, i will be okay?

Old 11-15-2003, 06:20 PM

cali is very strong on there bullshit rules and i don't live in cali so i don't know. oregon is more not caring as long as you pass
Old 11-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

b16a3 and the a2 in 96+ sols...maybe they will be dumb and you'll pass
Old 11-15-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

I don't know about the registration process, but does every state check stuff like engine, emissions etc.?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TorganFM)

Test only will tell you to make an appointment with the smog ref.

<---told me to and I just have an intake and header on the stock engine.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am I Phucked? (EG2 SiR)

A test only center will probably know the difference. There are some smog places out there that don't know what they're looking at, but it's very rare nowadays in Cali.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

You're screwed unless you have connections.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: (Spade)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Test only will tell you to make an appointment with the smog ref.

&lt;---told me to and I just have an intake and header on the stock engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I put the stock intake and exhaust mani, will it be better?
Old 11-15-2003, 07:23 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: Am I Phucked? (GapxGuy)

Go to California Motorworks (SD, CA) and pay them to pass you.
There's always a way (even if it means swapping a passable engine in for the test, then swapping back. )

I got mine passed. State ref. and everything.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Am I Phucked? (haku-jitodai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haku-jitodai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to California Motorworks (SD, CA) and pay them to pass you.
There's always a way (even if it means swapping a passable engine in for the test, then swapping back. )

I got mine passed. State ref. and everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah... but all the work involved in 2 engine swaps is not what I am looking forward to
Old 11-15-2003, 07:35 PM

i think if you make it look like its stock, then you should be fine, but if you have a moded intake, and **** that looks different, im sure they find out... good luck with it, let us know how it went
Old 11-15-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Re: (lsvtec hatch05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtec hatch05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cali is very strong on there bullshit rules and i don't live in cali so i don't know. oregon is more not caring as long as you pass</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oregon doesn't care at all as long as you pass DEQ because it is not against the law to have a swap. And there are ways around DEQ too, 3 vehicles in 7 years and I have never ran through DEQ.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

there is a stipulation that if the motor was offered in that car then you can go to another place you don't have to go to the state ref. i was making appt for my state ref on friday and the guy was like well if the motor was offered in that car then you don't have to come here, but it wasn't and i also steped out of the displacment level.

youre car wont pass though if your motor is older then the car they don't allow that
Old 11-15-2003, 08:32 PM

since the del sol came with the dohc vtec model that year the engine should inspection of the test should be fine since its going to be an "engine replacement." just have the engine looking stock unless you have carb numbers for your mods, timing in specs, no check engine lights, and all your vacuum hoses and connectors and connected. you should be fine. good luck
Old 11-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depending on the shop you go to. If they send you to the Ref you will not pass coz your motor is older than your car. motor is a 92 and your car is at least a 94-97.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most test only places will look at the block #'s. they know what motor is supposed to be in you car (your vin # will indicate a d16z6). they'll tell u to go to a ref to get a bar sticker. i had to bring my accord to a test only once. they checked the block #, all vaccum lines, o2 sensors (just to make sure they were there), carb #'s for header and intake, and plugged into my obd2 port to make sure the obd stuff was all working.

when you go to get it bar'd they wont be able to tell what year teh motor is. you can just tell the it's out of a 94 japanese delsol. most ref's are passing jdm motors now, as long as they have all the smog equipement as the USDM motors have
Old 11-16-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Am I Phucked? (blueeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blueeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">since the del sol came with the dohc vtec model that year the engine should inspection of the test should be fine since its going to be an "engine replacement." just have the engine looking stock unless you have carb numbers for your mods, timing in specs, no check engine lights, and all your vacuum hoses and connectors and connected. you should be fine. good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what I was thinking. The only place you can really check a JDM motor's year is the head, but if I put the stock exhaust manifold on w/heat shield and jb weld the bolts on, they won't really be able to see it. I have ALL the equipment hooked up that should be even the evap. purge solonoid.... I'm just going to put a stock arm and intake box and exhaust mani, and see how I do. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:06 PM
egizzle8

Damn WI winters suck but I'm glad I don't have to deal with that smog ****, but good luck. In parts of WI we don't have any smog test at all.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes...... we have no smog here either. All the dsm guys roll around with no emissions ****, and 3" turbo back with no cat.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsvtec hatch05)

i think youll be alright
Old 11-16-2003, 02:12 PM

Default Re: (silverEH2)

What year is your car? The test only station will know that the B16 engines were only offered in the 94+ del sol. On most Honda heads that I have seen, you can still see the year stamp with the stock manifold on. Are the B16 heads somehow different that way? There are ways of passing, but it usually cost a bit of money, and you have to know where to go. Also, looks like your motor is probably JDM. Most likely it's stamped B16A with no suffix. That would red flag them too...

On a side note, it's really stupid to post the name of a smog shop that has been known to take a bribe to pass a car. If you think "big brother" isn't watching each and every automotive forum on the net you are in for a rude awakening. Wait and see, I bet the place mentioned above will not be in business much longer. Keep **** like that private folks...
Old 11-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (haku-jitodai)

That last post went off-topic, not to mention dumb.
For the topic of this thread, I suggest just talking to more Cali guys with JDM/older motors in their rides. Maybe hit up the regional section
Old 11-16-2003, 08:37 PM
H-T White Ops

HEhehe, North Dakota.....the "do whatever the hell you want to your car" state.
Make it look stock and hope that the smog **** is dumb as hell.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Am I Phucked? (haku-jitodai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haku-jitodai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to California Motorworks (SD, CA) and pay them to pass you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What else would you call this? The fact is that you suggested that he go there to pay them to pass his car. You and he both know that his car is not technically smog legal. Do you think the authorities would not think the same as I did about your post? You don't seem to understand that we live in a country where we are being watched.

You want proof that they are paying attention to what we do? I myself received a test only reg renewal last year and my car was not even on schedule to need a smog that year. So did a lot of my friends. What did we all have in common? We all frequented an automotive forum where us and our cars were known. Many of the members knew our mods lists, as did anyone who wanted to find that information. In fact, the only one of my friends who did not receive a test only notice was the one who claimed that his cars were all stock and did not speak about his cars or their mods online. None of us had been caught street racing or anything of that nature before. So why do you think we all got sent to test only stations and only half of us were expecting a smog notice that year?