Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Am I the only one? 3 wire iacv factory on a manual tranny

Old 04-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one? 3 wire iacv factory on a manual tranny

Ok, so either my car is a nomilie, or there is some misinformation out there on this. My car is a 98 ex factory manual tranny, however, I have the 3 wire iacv. My car was engine swapped by previous owner to a y7, but I'm still using the factory y8 harness. There's Vtec wires just dangling and a knock sensor wire so I am posative it's the original harness. Also, whoever did the swap did some shotty *** work and there's no way they repinned the ECU for a 3 wire iacv, as when I bought the car it had a cel on for the ait sensor because they were to lazy to extend it over to the airbox for the y7 swap. EVERYTHING I can find on 3 wire iacv says they were only used on dx and lx, (d16y7), and ex with auto tranny. Does anyone have any info on this or have a 96-00 ex with a factory manual tranny that has a 3 wire iacv? This has been a mystery to me since I bought the car. And i mean with motor mount bolts missing and wires just cut and not even taped up, I'm 95% sure there is no way the 3 wire iacv was pinned into the ECU to accommodate the y7 swap. Especially considering the wires are all the correct color and tucked neatly into the harness, this was certainly factory and not the work of backyard mechanic Joe that did the swap. And yes I've looked up my Vin to verify my car is a 98 ex factory manual tranny.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Am I the only one? 3 wire iacv factory on a manual tranny

you are special
Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Shoddy work might include an automatic Y8 I/M and T/B on your Y7 engine... along with the same matching Y8 auto engine harness. How about posting some pics of your intake manifold and the part number on the ECU so we can better understand how to help you.

How can you expect this to make sense knowing that jack-leg hacks built this mess you have ???
Old 04-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Shoddy work might include an automatic Y8 I/M and T/B on your Y7 engine... along with the same matching Y8 auto engine harness. How about posting some pics of your intake manifold and the part number on the ECU so we can better understand how to help you.

How can you expect this to make sense knowing that jack-leg hacks built this mess you have ???
I will get some pics and post this evening. The current motor in the car is a stock y7, block head and intake manifold. The harness doesn't seem to have been replaced, as in its put in neatly and clipped where it should be if it were factory, and has all the vtec wires like my car would have had, being an ex. I'm sure the ecu is the y7 non vtec ECU, but could be an auto ECU. I'll get pics up later. This is not really important but it does bug me, id just kind of like to know the history of the car, and how the crap I wound up with a 3 wire iacv on a manual ex. Lol. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like even if they were going to swap the harness when the engine swap was done, wouldn't they use the harness for the y7 and not the ex harness? But you are right about shotty work n not making any sense. Like I said before, whoever did the motor swap didn't have enough sense to extend the ait sensor over to accommodate the y7, and if they were swapping harnesses as well, you'd think that would be common knowledge.