Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 04:30 PM
MrEG6er21

Default Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help

I did a search on the topic of Smog, but I didnt find what I was looking for. Well, this is my situation right now. I took my car in which an 94EG B16A2 By the way, It didn't pass smog to my no surprise. The guy said that I needed to replace my O2 senser which is bad. I got it replaced today and thinking this will be the answer to my problem. I was so wrong to even think that. I knew it had to be my Cat converter which I am right before he even told me. So I am sitting here thinking I dont want to shell out another 250 just for another one. My smog came back as Gross Polluter. He then says when the Cat Converter is in he will send me to another place to get my car smogged for the 3rd and final time. I am like why is he sending me to another place? Why not do it here?

He then tells me once you replace the Cat converter, everything should be fine. When I first took it in, He said my levels are running to too rich. He made numerous comments about My cat converter being toasted. The smart thing for me to do is to get a second opinion because some of them are just trying to make a quick dollar. My point is to this thread, is what should I do? Am I really going to the Ref or what? Are any of you guys selling your stock Cat Coverter for really cheap? Please PM if you know any places that where you dont have to pay for smog, unless you pass, then you pay for it when you pass. You can PM me if you would like to help. -Thanks-
Old 04-10-2004, 08:46 PM
MrEG6er21

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (HNDAPJT21)

Help.................
Old 04-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (HNDAPJT21)

Well you are screwed.. since now your listed as a gross polluter you have to go to a test only station from now on.. so thats prob why he said he cannot do it.

now post your levels or a pic of your read-out

given you have a B16A2 you will also need to convert your car to a OBD-II with wiring and everything, if you have to go to the ref.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (BatuKing)

did that motor come out from a 99-00 civic si?
if so, youre going to have to convert it to OBDII, you'll need the right ecu, canister, evap, aic, intake and header. it will cost you a lot.

if thats a jdm motor and you just missed typed b16a(2), then that will be easier, just a p30 ecu, stock eg6 airbox, all sensors, cat and you should be good to go.

Old 04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
MrEG6er21

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (stockegsix)

My friend said , that an stock ECU from a 92-95 Del Sol will work , and a stock cat will do the trick. Do you think he is right. I do have B16a but the guy I bought it from says its really a b16A2. Its OBD-1 Btw.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what does the block say. b16a or b16a2?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 AM
MrEG6er21

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (stockegsix)

B16A , its OBD-1
Old 04-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stop being a cheap bastard and get a damn CAT. it isn't much for a carsound at my local muffler shop. if you are in the 415/510/650 area I can point you in the right direction. The guys isn't trying to make a quick buck off of you. He is trying to tell you how to pass.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HNDAPJT21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend said , that an stock ECU from a 92-95 Del Sol will work , and a stock cat will do the trick. Do you think he is right. I do have B16a but the guy I bought it from says its really a b16A2. Its OBD-1 Btw.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the ref checks the ecu. and if you do go to the ref, they will ask you for a print out from the honda dealership of the ECU part number and diagram
Old 04-13-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (b cruz)

ok. first off. Carsound has yet to get a CARB exempt sticker for their cats, as far as I know. Carsound cat will not legally pass the visual inspection. Now because this smog tech didn't tell you that you have to go see the referee because you have a bigger motor than was originally offered in that car/year (the main reason why you will have to see the referee if any smog tech who knows the law looks at your motor.) tells me he doesn't know a whole lot. Because of this you may be in a better position than you think. I would personally put up a WTB thread for a used OBD1 si cat. I would use a stock P28 because your stock ecu is probably the problem with your rich condition. Also do a spark plug, rotor, cap, and maybe even air cleaner change before you go smog again.

For any further info about BARing your swap see sig.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (sinatra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinatra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok. first off. Carsound has yet to get a CARB exempt sticker for their cats, as far as I know. Carsound cat will not legally pass the visual inspection. Now because this smog tech didn't tell you that you have to go see the referee because you have a bigger motor than was originally offered in that car/year (the main reason why you will have to see the referee if any smog tech who knows the law looks at your motor.) tells me he doesn't know a whole lot. Because of this you may be in a better position than you think. I would personally put up a WTB thread for a used OBD1 si cat. I would use a stock P28 because your stock ecu is probably the problem with your rich condition. Also do a spark plug, rotor, cap, and maybe even air cleaner change before you go smog again.

For any further info about BARing your swap see sig.</TD></TR></TABLE>
are you sure about that? I ref'd with it and have done numerous smogs with carsounds. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE HONDA OEM UNLESS THE MANUFACTURER REPLACES THE CAT FOR YOU FREE OF CHARGE AS SOON AS IT GOES BAD. SAME GOES FOR AIR FILTERS!!!!!

Also I know many other people that smogged with catco, carsound, and no name cats that have pssed at the ref visually.

I would also try to get a usdm p30 ecu if you are going to the ref. You wouldn't want to waste your time for a restest just for changing your ecu.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ref i went to only checked to make sure my ECU was a usdm (rectangular) P30. didnt need any documentation, but some will ask. i had a carsound cat the first time, and failed. i swapped to a catco cat, and i still failed. super high nox. my car was pleanty warmed up. im guessing my motor has some really bad cabon build up, or high comp temp. im gonna flush the cooling system, use a cooler thermostat, colder plugs, decarbonize.

btw, just search for "ref" in this forum for more tips.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Next time if you think you're going to fail have them do a pre-test. That way you know if you'll pass or not. The way if works now if you do a regular test teh results (good or bad) are sent directly to the DMV, who will call you a gross polluter and make you go to a test-only station.

A test-only place will most likely know more about what should and shouldn't (i.e. b16a) be in your engine bay. They might send you to the ref to get a BAR sticker. A carsound cat should pass smog with no problems, but to be safe before you do another real test have a pre-test done. It may be well worth the $$.

Remember there are 2 parts of a smog. Visual and sniffer, you have to pass both.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:26 PM
MrEG6er21

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (nonsense)

Now these other guys are saying I have no Pouche(Sp) Controller and its disconnected and missing. It wasnt my map sensor so they are taking steps to decrease the high smog levels which are still rich now. I dont have a stock ECU, I have an Ericks racing chip in there.

I already shelled nearly 600 just to get the dam car smogged. YIKES. Does anyone know anyone in the Bay area that I can go to that I can pass smog reguardless of my situation. I dont want to have to deal with the Ref or anything else. I hope by tomorrow I can get the problem fixed and it will pass.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=833634
Old 04-17-2004, 01:01 AM
MrEG6er21

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (soundbomber)

Well,

I guess this was an easy thing to do. Since I am running rich and the cause of it doing that is because of my ECU. So I have to go and get a stock one off of a Del Sol.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Am I going to the REF........., any expert advice, Please Help (MrEG6er21)

The block says b16a? What smog station would even look at your car? I haven't been able to find a place that would ignore the engine swap... i'm from nor cal also...