Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Always Use Genuine Honda Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always Use Genuine Honda Parts

I learned the hard way, or should I say my mechanic learned as well, not to use parts made in China. The Chinese have put all of the compressor manufacturers in the US out of business by dumping. After 3 compressors, 3 expansion valves, and 2 condensers, I finally have my AC back. With Genuine Honda Parts.

BTW - It was my request to the mechanic to use Honda Parts.He'll never make that mistake again. It cost him two days of labor.

- dumping: selling a product abroad for less than the cost of the production, the
price in the home market, or the price to third countries.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Always Use Genuine Honda Parts

How about buying genuine Honda parts and bringing them to the shop? Then you'll never have to wonder if the parts they put on are crap or not.

That's pretty much exactly what I do.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I totally agree, but some of these guys think that's like bringing a steak to a restaurant.
The only thing I lost was time. The mechanic lost money. Because in the end he had to make it right.

Besides if I knew which part was needed I would have.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed.

However, u can get away with non-OEM parts for minor things like headlight/tail light lenses, window regulators, etc.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:44 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As long as he didn't BS you.

I do that all the time. They're always stunned. "So you have the parts?" They really freak out when I bring tires to be mounted. Not OEM but it's always fun to watch them do the double take.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe they're not so much stunned as perturbed. Repair shops make money off of parts, so they generally don't like customers to bring their own; and often I've seen places mark up their labor charges to make up for it.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got done installing an aftermarket alternator on my 97 hx and the housing is a tiny bit larger than the oem one which caused some fitment issues.

The first snag that I ran into was because of the larger size was getting it to fit up between the axle and the engine which you have to take a jack and lift the car to extend the suspension all the way to create the most room to get the alternator in and out. The new one definitely needs all the room it can get to fit up in there.

The second issue was the bushing in the bottom hole on the alternator, the oem doesn't have a bushing in the hole and only in the alt. bracket itself so I had to pull everything back out to move the bushing out in the bracket.

The third issue was another related to the larger housing is that it was too big to be able to align all of the holes up for the lower bolt to go through. I had to cut some of the housing away for it to fit properly.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, if i do have to go to a shop to get something done, i supply them with the parts of my choice. a.) to avoid ridiculous shop markup on parts. b.) the parts they use are generally crap anyway
Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Well, I disagree, but I do believe in using quality parts if non-OEM Honda. Here, read this.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Moms 94
I totally agree, but some of these guys think that's like bringing a steak to a restaurant.
To be fair to them it sort of it is.

When a shop buys parts they get them at a pretty steep discount. They then sell them to the customer at full retail. This is an industry standard practice. If you're only making money on the labor you wont stay in business.

That said some shops are ok with it if you inform them you're supplying the parts before they quote you a price so they can adjust the labor accordingly, or if they know you well enough that they know you'll supply them with the correct parts so they wont end up halfway through a job with no parts and a car stuck on the hoist.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, I can buy Honda Genuine Parts cheaper than the mechanic can wholesale.
Honda (at least the one by me) bases its wholesale prices by the volume that the shop purchases.
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/ The only difference is I have to wait for delivery and the markup on
aftermarket (in the case of the mechanic) is greater.

I think you can tell them you only want Genuine Honda Parts, but it will cost you.
Best plan is what grumblemarc said, "bring your own purchased parts".

In this case it would have save the mechanic all the lost hours he had to eat changing parts over and over.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Moms 94
Yea, if the restaurant's steak costs $50 bucks for an 8oz. sirloin and is overcooked. ^_^
Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've also found that my local Honda dealer will match, in most cases, online Honda parts places (hondaautomotiveparts.com is the one I usually use) if I ask them so that's something else to try.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
I've also found that my local Honda dealer will match, in most cases, online Honda parts places (hondaautomotiveparts.com is the one I usually use) if I ask them so that's something else to try.
Yea, one of the parts guys at one of the dealerships around here will do that. He's awesome. Hell, I'd almost consider the guy a friend, at this point. There's another dealership around here, though... the parts desk guy there is a complete ***. Acts like he can't be bothered to do his job. Typing up an order for a hood latch cable and 3 quarts of ATF must be awfully hard work, apparently...
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been having AC issues as well with non Honda parts. 2 compressors took a crap and the aftermarket replacement expansion valve hums and is not working and causing a restriction. I have not had 100% functioning AC in 3 years. Putting a OEM Honda expansion valve in on Monday.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny enough the expansion valve was the biggest offender.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
As long as he didn't BS you.

I do that all the time. They're always stunned. "So you have the parts?" They really freak out when I bring tires to be mounted. Not OEM but it's always fun to watch them do the double take.
I worked in commercial auto parts. Reason they hate when you bring parts is cuz your cutting their profits. They do not pay the same for parts and they get em from autozone napa etc. they work on tier pricing. More they buy the more they save. Tier 5 rotors at autozone for you let's say cost $55 each. To them it's $13 each yet they charge you $50+ each for them Plus labor. Smh
Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the parts thing is just silly. I worked at a repair shop and we never cared because we made all the money on labor.
Sure, they can't charge you the extra 25% on a part, but there's still $50 an hour for labor.

I've never used a shop that won't take my own parts. If I find a good local shop, I'll keep bringing my business there, but if you tell me that you refuse to use my parts, then I'll never come to your shop and I'll just do the repairs myself.
Only reason I go to a shop is if it's for something I really don't know (AC) or if I just don't feel like doing it and I already have the parts from the internet.

It used to be that mechanics had good customer relationships, now it's just franchises who only want money. I always look for the local garage guy who isn't a franchise, they're always willing to use your parts and be helpful. In exchange I'll sometimes leave my older or spare parts with him if he can use them.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or you could save yourself even more money and learn how to do the labor yourself.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I do unless I just don't have the time or patience to do so.
There was a two-bay mechanic about 10 blocks from me and I took my car there to get the exhast header gasket replaced because I didn't feel like doing all that work.
I used my parts and it cost me $50.
Next time I just rolled by with the alternator I pulled out and gave it to him so he did a tune-up for free, that's the kind of service I like from a mechanic
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AWESOME site for finding best prices on Honda parts, for EVERY year and model.

AllYourParts.com

This site will compare and find the best prices for your part.
Very easy to use and navigate. Even finds replacement parts for ones discontinued.