Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

always a dilemma with a d15b7..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default always a dilemma with a d15b7..

i posted recently about the H22A vs. the B18B vs. the B16A and received great information.

but now.. im stuck at the point of whether its really a good idea just to dump my d15b7. the engine is YEAH.. 11-12 years old.. but it only has 78k on it.. i was thinking of mini-me but is it really worth keeping this 102hp sohc engine and throwing on a vtec head?

having a dohc vtec engine seems like the best choice since my car is heavy and slowww.

so my questions are.. if i do keep the d15b7 and drop a vtec head, how do i know which aftermarket performance parts am i suppose to purchase? (ex: civic ex intake? exhaust?) and if i keep the d15, what aftermarket performance parts can i buy now that will be interchangeable with the ex head? can anybody recommend a good exhaust system to go with and how to apply that to a sedan?

i know this has been answered, but what is the potential of the mini-me?

please don't leave responses that are vague; yeah, anybody can say "DUMP THE D and go with the B because its COOLERR YAY!" where's the "tech" in that
thanks for your time.

newb questions i know i know
Old 01-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: always a dilemma with a d15b7.. (EG8AI)

i honestly dont think you will be happy with a mini me if you are looking for much power.

unless you boost it.

anyways if you search for mini me you will find the big FAQ/DIY that bauley civic did.

for exhaust...the header is the same for all d series. the catback part you need to find for a sedan.

for intake manifold, supposedly the best oem one is the d16y8 manifold.

if you want to upgrade internals, get d16z6 parts for the head, d15b7 parts for the block.

hope that helps some.

PS. BOOST IT
Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG8AI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i was thinking of mini-me but is it really worth keeping this 102hp sohc engine and throwing on a vtec head?

so my questions are.. if i do keep the d15b7 and drop a vtec head, how do i know which aftermarket performance parts am i suppose to purchase? (ex: civic ex intake? exhaust?) and if i keep the d15, what aftermarket performance parts can i buy now that will be interchangeable with the ex head? can anybody recommend a good exhaust system to go with and how to apply that to a sedan?

i know this has been answered, but what is the potential of the mini-me?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There isn't much to be gained from boltond for any D-series. By the time you pay for everything for a mini-me swap, then CAI, header, etc... you could have collected pretty much everything to run a turbo setup. If you piece it together yourself you can save some $$. Just be sure to Research it all, lots of reading & planning The mini-me will give you 25 more HP and still be reliable. If you use the y8 head, your compression will be higher. You could run a smaller turbo setup and easily get 50+ more HP, for not much more $$. 5-7 psi is still reliable when properly setup.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: always a dilemma with a d15b7.. (92ehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i honestly dont think you will be happy with a mini me if you are looking for much power.

unless you boost it.

anyways if you search for mini me you will find the big FAQ/DIY that bauley civic did.

for exhaust...the header is the same for all d series. the catback part you need to find for a sedan.

for intake manifold, supposedly the best oem one is the d16y8 manifold.

if you want to upgrade internals, get d16z6 parts for the head, d15b7 parts for the block.

hope that helps some.

PS. BOOST IT
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The D16z6 is the best flowing intake d series intake mani there is. I am sticking with the single cams and doing a vitara setup and you can have a semi-reliable car thats pretty quick. but with a B series you will have a great daily driver thats really reliabe and quick for what it is. the only reason im sticking with d series is cause there cheap.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: always a dilemma with a d15b7.. (SOHC_EK)

I like mini-me's - they're easy too.

You'll notice a difference, but it won't be much...like maybe that of adding 2 or 3 headers (if it were possible) to your B7. Not exactly smoking 3rd but quite noticeable.

If I were you I'd get whatever engine you settled on, and when you pull the B7 out of the car, hook up the mini-me setup. Then do whatever with it. Sell it, or what I'd do, hang onto it, and if you need to swap something back, you always have it.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys. haha yeah i did read bauley civic's mini-me thread about 5 times now. its a great thread but im not a genius at cars so i get a bit confused haha. but i really think im going to stick with the dseries and save the rest of the money i have for exteriors. im still running on hubs and my car can touch the sky with its stock suspension -__-'

for the catback; anybody recommened what kind and am i suppose to take it to an exhaust shop or somethin?