Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alternator/VSS Fuse problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator/VSS Fuse problem

Ok i ran into a problem here about 2 months ago and havent been able to figure anything out or make any progress so this is where all you lovely people come in.

I have a 2000 honda civic si. jdm b16 bottom end arp head studs em1 b16 head. greddy header greddy exhaust hi flow cat exedy flywheel and clutch.

Now to the problem

I was driving down the highway one day and my speedo just dropped to 0.. i wasnt running the car hard or anything just doing about 60. So i had a bunch of fuses in the glove box so i just grabbed one and threw it in. Figured it just blew the fuse and i would be on my way. Well that wasnt the case. Just blew anything i put in there as soon as i started taking off. So i brought the car back to my house.. did a little test n trial stuff.

1st i unplugged the VSS and left the alternator plugged in and it still blew the fuse. The i unplugged the alternator and plugged the VSS back in. blew the fuse again. So then i just unplugged both. Yet again the fuse blew. So i started looking through wiring looking for a short somewhere and i cant find a damn thing. So i was curious to if anybody could help me out with a direction to go..or something to look for...so on...any help would be greatly appreciated and if you live in the stl area and give me the solution ill put a windshield or any car glass thats decently priced for free considering that i own broadway glass...thanks ahead of time
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Alternator/VSS Fuse problem

The problem sounds similar to that described in this TSB, though 2000 Civics don't seem to be included in the report. The information still may help with troubleshooting.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM

ive checked all the wiring and stuff and that all checked out and looked good. i was thinking about unwrapping everything and making sure that everything was good and then if it is go from there.

I can plug a fuse in when the car is sitting still and it runs fine. Altenator turns on and goes. But as soon as the speedo has to be used like going over 5 mph. Boom there goes the fuse... So idk what else to do. But ill go ahead and look at that part of the wiring harness again.. Thanks for the info
Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 PM

have the alternator tested and if its bad then that is your problem. my buddys 98 civic had the same problem. got a new alternator and new fuse and it worked fine
Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by .:si:.
...The i unplugged the alternator and plugged the VSS back in. blew the fuse again. So then i just unplugged both. Yet again the fuse blew.
Originally Posted by .:si:.
I can plug a fuse in when the car is sitting still and it runs fine. Altenator turns on and goes. But as soon as the speedo has to be used like going over 5 mph. Boom there goes the fuse...
I am confused because these two pieces of information seem somewhat contradictory.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I am confused because these two pieces of information seem somewhat contradictory.
im just trying to throw out all the stuff that i have done. trying to just get to the bottom of the problem
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 PM

up! ^
Old 02-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your o2 sensor on the header and cat, for grounding on the frame, check behind the IM for a short from the IM rubbing on a wire