Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing

97 civic ex..

first... my speedometer started bugging out then the battery died,

after doing some test i found out i had a short, and that the alternator was only putting out 8.6 volts

i checked the fusebox and found fuse 15[Alternator/SP sensor] was blown, i replaced it and the speedometer was working, but by the time i got out of 1st it blow again

The wires under the intake [look] ok, but i have not started to pull that apart yet,

i tryed to unplug bouth speedometer plug and speed sensor plug,, no luck FUSE 15, keeps blowing,

Can any one give me some ideas, on what to start looking for, im 50% sure its a short in wire BLK/YEL going from fuse 15 to alternator,
but this is my first honda, so its all new to me, im Hopeing this is a known problem, and someone on here can help me
Old 10-17-2007, 06:26 AM

Location: Ontario,where cops smash ur cars and make you watc, CA, US OF A
Default Re: Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing (JonnyBlazz)

Did you ever find out what it was? I have the exact same problem in my 96 civ dx...are all your ground wires connected??
Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing (JonnyBlazz)

There is a Honda Service Bulletin about this exact problem, and it stems from wires in the engine harness becoming chafed/broken and shorting out under the intake manifold.

The repairs call for obviously repairing the wiring, but also to reinsulate the wires and wrap the harness loom in more protective tape.

Let me try to find the bulletin on my All Data here at the shop so I can give you the bulletin number. There must be an online bulletin database that consumers can view and print.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing (B18C5-EH2)

Bingo! Found it!

Bulletin number is:

99-029

You can also expect a check engine light with codes for vehicle speed sensor (hence the speedo wigging out), electronic load detector, and possibly secondary heated oxygen sensor to go along with that blown number 15 fuse.

The area of concern is the engine harness near connector C115. This part of the harness runs under the intake manifold and rubs against the intake manifold bracket.

I cannot copy and paste the directions, or show you the pic from All Data because they don't allow any copy/paste or right clicking of pics, but the procedure is fairly simple if you don't mind working in a tight area.

1. Remove the intake manifold bracket - looks like two or four bolts hold it in - possibly 10mm or 12mm socket size.

2. Disconnect the tab that holds the harnbess to that bracket

3. Repair/insulte the wires that are chafed

4. Using electrical tape and corrugated tubing/wire loom add an extra layer around the harness to keep it from rubbing again

If I can find this brakcet on http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com in an exploded diagram I will. I'll post it to give you guys a better idea. My shop has fixed about three of these cars after they had been at other shops and spent $500.00 on alternators, fuse boxes, etc.

EDIT:

Here's a pic - looks like the bracket is number 12:

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 11:08 AM 10/17/2007
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing (B18C5-EH2)

Thanks!!! I'll look into it, I hope this is the case....I have been looking for the culprit for a bit now..
Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing (ls-vtEK4)

I have the same problem on my 96 HX, alternator fuse #15 keeps blowing and giving me the ELD, Primary & secondary o2 sensor codes. also my speedo does not work, but no VSS codes.

I had pinched a few of the wires in the junction that they are talking about in the TSB. It was 4 of the blk/yel wires and one of the grn/blk ones. I repaired the insulation on these wires, taped them back up, and zip tied the harness out of the way.

The wires all connect together at the junction at the end of the harness, so I can't tell why there would still be a short...

could the short have messed up the Electrical Load Detector in the underhood fuse box, and now that is causeing the #15 fuse to blow? I wouldn't think so, but I'm out of ideas...
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing (ls-vtEK4)

hey.. i have a 97 civic dx.. my instrument and headlights flash after revving a certain rpm. my 7.5 alternator fuse consistantly blows. i was told told check/replace the OverLoadDetector and the alternator.. i havent done so yet, but when i put a new fuse in for the alternator and boost & start my car with a battery charger in runs fine until i turn it off.. any news on the problem would be awesome
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Alternator/SP sensor FUSE 15, keeps blowing (teal_dx)

I have a 98 Honda Civic Ex with a B18C1 swap. Previously, i had that problem where the alternator fuse kept blowing. I jumped the ECU to see what the CEL code would be and it was an O2 Sensor. I forget which one but try and replace the o2 sensor that corresponds to the CEL code. it worked for me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same problem on my 96 HX, alternator fuse #15 keeps blowing and giving me the ELD, Primary & secondary o2 sensor codes. also my speedo does not work, but no VSS codes.

I had pinched a few of the wires in the junction that they are talking about in the TSB. It was 4 of the blk/yel wires and one of the grn/blk ones. I repaired the insulation on these wires, taped them back up, and zip tied the harness out of the way.

The wires all connect together at the junction at the end of the harness, so I can't tell why there would still be a short...

could the short have messed up the Electrical Load Detector in the underhood fuse box, and now that is causeing the #15 fuse to blow? I wouldn't think so, but I'm out of ideas...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by PDPAEM at 12:39 PM 1/22/2008
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way guys.To all of you how many miles do you have on your car? If not look into my thread about"Anyone have a 95-97 civic" the ELD or anything emissions or anything that causes CEL is covered by that warranty extension look into it.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 AM

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

my problem was that the o2 sensor wires where rubbing on my cat and it peeled the plastic off one of the wires which caused the short of the alt fuse and caused my speedo to go loopy..