Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alternator Removal/Install Help??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Alternator Removal/Install Help??

i can't find a post or anything on here but my alternator is kicking the bucket. my hatch doesn't like to start at times but i still have all lighting working (so it's not the battery). i bring out a spare battery, jump start the car, and the rest of the day, it seems to start fine. lately it's been more than just the "morning start up" so i'm replacing it.

where is a thread or write-up on replacing the alternator? hopefully with pics....thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator Removal/Install Help??

.....anyone?......
Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your battery light is not coming on it's not your alternator. Get both tested for free at kragen/oreily, autozone
Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
New User

If it just clicks and no start, next time have someone whack the starter with something "prybar, long 1/2in extension, etc.." while you have the key in the start position.... if it fires up.. well there you go... this is all if you infact have good voltage from both your batt and alt...have them looked at before u go hittin S*#t...as far as the jump start, the extra power allows the starter solenoid to un stick its self, so does hitting it.. seen it to many times
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM

If you have power to everything else and its not even cranking then its the starter. If it has a hard time starting then its somewhere in the charging system. The alternator only charges the battery when the engine is running and it sounds like that isn't the issue. As said before give the starter a couple whacks and see what happens. The internal brushes in the starter eventually wear down and start to lose the connection.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by R666_EK
If you have power to everything else and its not even cranking then its the starter. If it has a hard time starting then its somewhere in the charging system. The alternator only charges the battery when the engine is running and it sounds like that isn't the issue. As said before give the starter a couple whacks and see what happens. The internal brushes in the starter eventually wear down and start to lose the connection.
what is the difference,between the starter and alternator when they broke
Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Starter starts the car and sits on top of the tranny and bolts to the block. The alternator charges the battery so it can engage the starter. That is on the driver side next to the shock tower under the intake manifold. Big difference between the two.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM

Maybe I read that wrong. When the starter is bad the car won't even attempt to turn over. When the alternator is bad it will lead to a dead battery. Meaning that it will either struggle to start, just click, or you will have no power to anything whatsoever.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the battery light is not on on my dash.

what happens is i'll go outside in the morning to start my day, turn the key and it will slowly crank but not start. i first thought it was the battery because it started doing this during freezing temps, but like i said, the electrical works (dome light, radio, etc).

i'll give the whacking a try and see what happens. if not, i would have to buy a new starter i assume?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 PM

Well if it cranks slow and its been doing that for a while now then its probably the battery. Extreme temps affect a battery more than you might think. I mean most likely the alternator is still working if the battery hasn't been completely dying. I wouldn't bother with the starter yet if its still been cranking every time.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R666_EK
Well if it cranks slow and its been doing that for a while now then its probably the battery. Extreme temps affect a battery more than you might think. I mean most likely the alternator is still working if the battery hasn't been completely dying. I wouldn't bother with the starter yet if its still been cranking every time.
i don't think it's the battery but i'll also have if checked at autozone or something.

and fyi it does NOT make the clicking noise of a dead battery....it just slowly cranks until it won't crank again (i.e. slow crank, 2 seconds later slower crank, 4 seconds later slowest crank, then i punch myself in the face).
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
New User

Well don't punch your self anymore, just take it somewhere and get it all checked, that's your best bet... And yes as posted before extream temps can effect cars Alot, god I love Florida, but when we do get cold snaps, I get cars with all kinds of funny crap going on with them just cus the temp droped 20degs...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

true.

or someone can donate to my cause and help me with a swap. i accept cash, money order and all major credit cars