Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alternator removal on hatchback without hoisting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator removal on hatchback without hoisting?

Hey, the winter's been less than kind to my old '93 hatchback CX, and the alternator's shot. I tried to remove it, and finally got it loose, but its stuck back behind the block, tucked away in a perfect little cage of tubing and hosing... Has anyone changed one of these on a hatchback without having to get under the car? I don't have ramps, and don't relish the thought of lying under widow-makers.
On VW's they're usually nicely front and centre.

cheers,
Ben
Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: Alternator removal on hatchback without hoisting?

Is the alternator off of the bracket? If all the bolts are removed and the wire plug is off, you can use a big flat-blade screwdriver or a prybar to pry it off.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Is the alternator off of the bracket? If all the bolts are removed and the wire plug is off, you can use a big flat-blade screwdriver or a prybar to pry it off.
yes, I managed to pry it off... just can't get the bloody thing out of there. Don't really want to pry on the pressure hoses too much.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you have to drop the drivers side axle to properly remove the alternator.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM

I think I'll have to get under it. someone on another site advised:

"The answer to changing the alternator does not have to include all the time consuming work of detaching the drive train at all! Begin by jacking the car up on the drivers' side and secure it from being able to fall. Remove the drivers' side tire. Next,remove the plastic shroud around the crankcase. This is very easy. Just take a screwdriver and pop out the plastic bolts used to attach it to the frame. Remove hot post on battery and then remove wires from the back of the alternator. Remove the bottom bolt and screw from the mounting bracket by working through the wheelwell. Remove the top two bolts including the adjustment arm. The alternatior is now free to move around.Push it up out of the way. You now need to remove the mounting bracket with a 14mm socket. It has two bolts holding it on. Pull the shroud out of the way and drop the alternator down throught this opening. This is a very time saving method of removing and replacing an alternator on the civic. I replaced mine on a 1989 CRX. Approximately an hour from start to finish by using this medthod. NOTE: ALWAYS MAKE SURE VEHICLE CANNOT FALL OFF JACK! I secured an 8 inch concrete block vertically under the front bumper to make sure the car couldn't fall on me whiile I was under it. "
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saywhat
I think you have to drop the drivers side axle to properly remove the alternator.
is this with the D-Series engine?

OP
i don't know where you are running into trouble but i changed the altenator on my 93 CX with a b16a in a parking lot of the parts store with basic hand tools and a pry bar (for tightening it)

you just need to wiggle it out. unless the big old d15z or what ever is completely different.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know on a civic that has power steering the easy way to get that damb thing out is to remove the drivers side axle out I have heard of people unbolting the master cylinder and moving it out of the way to pull the alt up that way never tried it though
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Put the front ends on stands, remove the driver-side front wheel, and the splash guard. After some repositioning, the alternator comes out by moving it down and to the left.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it from the top with no jacks. Then again I'm tall and have fairly thin arms. What I do is reach from underneath the intake manifold on the passenger side and pull it out through there. I usually remove the oil filter to make things easier. Again, this can be done from the top. I'm sure you can do it.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I changed mine, I just pushed the hoses out of the way as much as possible and squeezed it in and out with no problem. It took me more time to get the bolts off with only regular wrenches (no gear wrenches or sockets at the time) than it did to pull and push the thing in and out. So the hoses should flex enough to get it past, and not destroy them.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It will come out just play with it and remember how you finally get it out, because thats the way she needs to go back in.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it can wiggle out from the top and actually if u unbolt the master cylinder and push it to the side its alot easyer.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

were can i buy the bolt that get the altenator looe were it lide back?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

mine broke o tomuch tention i need a bolt!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you broke the tensioner bolt you mean? im sure any parts store should carry one.

and the best way to do it from above is going to the passenger side of the car with it. there is more space on the right side of the engine.