Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ALTERNATOR PRO!!! I need you! I have a problem and i need to verify it. Please look.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALTERNATOR PRO!!! I need you! I have a problem and i need to verify it. Please look.

I bought a new 98 civic coupe. While i am driving it, the head lights go really bright, then dim, and even when the heater is on, i can hear the blower slow, then speed up. I put a tester across the battery, and its not at 14.4 all the time, it kicks on and off a lot, and sometimes pretty fast. Shouldn't it stay at 14.4 all the time??? I tested a different car, and right away at start up it sat at 14.4 So my question is, it is just the brushes and regulator? I am thinking about just changing them instead of paying over $100 for a new one(rebuilt). Or does this car supposed to kick on and off, and if you tell me it is supposed to, then i hate it, cause it must **** poeple off at night cause it is a big different with my headlights. And it bugs the hell out of me, bright, dim, bright, dim. Please respond ASAP. If anyone thinks it could be the other components in the alt. please tell me.
so: should i replace the brushed and regulator? or should i buy a rebuilt one?
Old 10-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALTERNATOR PRO!!! I need you! I have a problem and i need to verify it. Please look. (92hatchy

First, does the car have a swap? Need to know that!!!

I'm no pro, but heavily involved in the automotive electronics industry. When you tested the alt. what range of fluxiation did you get?

Its not uncommon for the symptoms you described to be normal. Espicially the blower motor.

The first thing I would swap outif you think someting is wrong, would be the ELD. Electronic Load Dector. Its built into the underhood fuse box. Pain in the ***.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALTERNATOR PRO!!! I need you! I have a problem and i need to verify it. Please look. (92hatchy

stock motor. 193,000 miles on it. When i put the tester on it, its either 14.4, or its just the battery power(like 12.something) so its either the power of the alternator charging, or just the battery power.
ELD??? I never heard of that before. and how does that effect the alternator? The alternator has a regulator built into it. And then there is the wire going direct to the battery, which should be 14.4 all the time. correct me if im wrong.i just neve have been in any car where the alternator kicked on and off as much as my car. do not start your car, and turn on your headlights, then start your car, notice how more brighter your head lights are, well my car goes from that dim to that bright like 10 times a minute. annoying......
With so many miles on my car, i would think just the brushes would have warn out, and it doesn't keep good contact on the shaft of the alternator.

Modified by 92hatchy at 2:44 AM 10/3/2004
Old 10-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt Anyone else know what is wrong?
Old 10-02-2004, 05:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Try replacing the brushes first... they're pretty cheap. If that doesnt solve your problem then try something else!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:46 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

I would get it tested in autozone see if your regulator is not messed up. If anything you will see if it's full fielding all that time (high voltage, high amprege). It might be messing with your battery which can't balance out all the current (I would test that too). Check the grounds

But it sounds like your alternator is full fielding. Usually when brushes wear out it will just stop working.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get it tested in autozone see if your regulator is not messed up. If anything you will see if it's full fielding all that time (high voltage, high amprege). It might be messing with your battery which can't balance out all the current (I would test that too). Check the grounds

But it sounds like your alternator is full fielding. Usually when brushes wear out it will just stop working.</TD></TR></TABLE>
get this, auto one can not test my alternator. it says in the book, do not test!! so that sucks!!!!!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 98 dx sedan does the same thing, in fact put on another alternater and it still does the same thing, I am going to try adding a ground wire or 2 and see if that helps. I also have a VAFC hooked up and when it does that the voltage drops to 11.9 to 12.3 then it goes to 14.4 and back to the other it really gets on my nerves too. So I will see what happens with that I guess.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ALTERNATOR FROM HELL!!!!!!!!!
ok, i think i might have done this the really really hard way, tell me if i did. well, I went to pull my alternator off my stock 98 civic hx, (it has a/c, so it has a hose running by it) and after i unbolted everything, i was like, HOW THE HELL DO I GET IT OUT THE ENGINE BAY????? well, going out the bottom looks like i would have to almost remove an axle, and i wasn't going to do that. so i took the alternator bracket off on top, and one other bracket off that holds some hoses. I also unbolted a bracket holding a wire harness. And i tried taking the alternator off again, no luck, it hits the "brake line thingy" and the fuel rail, soooo, I took the fuel rail loose, and made sure i was ready for the gas. I was then able to sneak the stupid thing out of the top. what a pain in the ***. Does anyone know what i am talking about? anyone else take the alt. off this same car?
well anyway, auto zone could not test it, and i wasn't about to put the old one back in and lood for the E.L.D. so i just got a new one. and after i installed it, and put all the **** back on, i tested it and it sat right at 14.4 I was so happy. Now i drive at night and my lights don't dim all the time. YEAH!!!! So, it was the alt. going out-probably regulator. thanx for all the help. fellow ek coupe owners who have changed your alterntor, i feel your pain!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cliff notes:
ITS ALL FIXED. bought a new alternator, put it on, problem went away. it stays at 14.4 all the time like its supposed to.