Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alternator: Is it good or is it bad.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alternator: Is it good or is it bad.

I obtained an alternator for my B16 from a 94 Integra with a B18B. I took the alt to 7 different chain stores and got 2 different results. 2 different autozone stores said it was good. 3 Advance auto stores said it failed the L-terminal test. And 2 different O'reilly's had supposedly defective cords and couldnt test it to save their souls. Anyone have any insight on why or if this alt is any good or bad and why my results varied so widely.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alternator: Is it good or is it bad.

Here is my story. Went to autozone and had my alternator tested. I was pretty sure it was bad. It tested bad. They did not have mine in stock but said they could get it overnight, and would give me a discount if I picked it up the next day. Sounds good, so did that. New one comes in. I say, let throw it on the tester and see if it is good before I install it. They say ok. Guess what? It test bad. I tell them, grab a randome one off the shell and test it. It tests bad too. So they run a diagnastic on the machine. Turns out the cable that hooks the machine to the alternator was bad, and they needed to get a new one. So I made a deal and said I would take my new one, and test it at O'Reilly's. If it test bad, I get my money back, and if it is good, I will keep it. It tested good at O'Reilly's. So I learned two things. One, test new parts at the store if you can. Two, the cables on the testers go bad sometimes.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had one of the advances test another alternator (An accord of the same vintage) from their shelf and it tested fine. The only difference between the 2 stores was Advance uses one brand of tester and Autozone and Oh'Reilly's uses an SPX tester. However neither OR had a working cable to determine if machine type makes a difference. So Again I am left in the same boat.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

What's the actual problem with the alternator when installed in the car? Have you voltage tested the system with and without electrical load?

Last edited by Former User; 10-19-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my worst alternator ever from advanced discount came with a lifetime warranty but I have gone through 5 of them. They also don't load test alternators so u can get one "good one" and have it fail 2min later after installing it
Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have not installed the alternator in a vehicle yet Ron, i was trying to get it tested to see if it was worthwhile or not and needed to be returned to the recycle yard for credit. I've already discovered what a pain it was to get it out of that Teg and wanted to make sure I didnt have a dud.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think there is a far better chance your electrical grounds need to be cleaned up THOROUGHLY than needing to replace the alternator. Cant tell you how many times I've read stories about people who went through several alternators and couldn't figure out that maybe they have an electrical problem in their car. Any car over 10 years old definitely needs some electrical work done if it hasn't already been done... (specifically cleaning up electrical grounds)
Old 10-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im gonna have to do that in the morning maybe there not crap parts even though they failed differently
Old 10-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the story with this one, is I want to make sure its good before I even go down the path of mounting it on my engine.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had an issue with my system charging, took car to autozone.... alternator tested bad

got home and the car was having charging and power steering issues. turned out to be the woodruf key shifted and the harmonic balancer back end shaved a key sized bezel in it and ruined the balancer, since the balancer shifted and spun on the shaft the alternator wasnt spinning right speed and tested the alternator bad.