Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Valvoline Max-life in AUTO tranny?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvoline Max-life in AUTO tranny?

I am planning to change tranny fluid with Valvoline max-life. Did anyone used that in civic auto tranny? Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valvoline Max-life in AUTO tranny?

Highly recommend using Honda ATF. I use it, tranny works like it should.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regular conventional oil for engines is highly NOT recommended.
auto transmission fluid contains additives to help "clean" and lube the inside of the the automatic trans better than regular oil.. this is why there are different types of oils for particular things. i would HIGHLY suggest you get the right stuff. or at least a "ATF" from an autoparts store that is same viscosity honda uses.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF. ONLY USE HONDA ATF.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda ATF ONLY for AUTOS
Honda MTF ONLY for MANUALS

anything else will destroy the s*** out of it...
Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ive used it in 2 friends cars......both working fine.

Point is though, its the same price as honda atf.....
might as well use oem, if u got a dealer near
Old 12-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of curiosity.. what makes "honda atf" any better than any other atf?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

atf has to compatible with hondas, make sure it says to use in honda cars or better use honda atm, price is close and it is what is recomended
Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Believe it or not I think Valvoline is the OEM fluid for Honda. Honda don't own its own oil company they do buy from others and badge it with the Honda Brand. The Honda dealer near me uses Valvoline it is who their shop is run by. Valvoline is all over the doors and shop everywhere. On the maintenance board it has the different types of oil changes you can get like the synthetic, blend, max life, and conventional. So I doubt you would be wrong to go with max life, if it is there parent company, but go with max life ATF not the motor oil.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know for a fact Honda and acura dealer near me uses castrol motor oil and synthetic motor oil. im not too sure about transmissions/ but i recommend Honda atf. i have used castrol multi import atf or whatever it worked fine but my trans was already on it way out i count tell i was more worried about getting rid of it for a 5 spd. ... i have been left stranded in an auto and it sucks it wont go no where when its fried. a 5 speed u can usually limp home but not all the time.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using that oil as we speak right now ride smooth. went to get the honda oil at my local honda dealer and the sales person told me that its closed to go the next day or just go to autozone and buy any atf, he said it doesnt needs to be honda.... i kindof believe him
Old 12-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know why there is talk of "oil" in this AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION thread???? We all know Honda/Acura doesn't "make/refine" their own oil/atf. It is however made to a specification for HONDA/ACURA automatic transmissions. Off the shelf fluid at the store IS NOT.

For a manual trans HONDA MTF is the way to go as it's made for this SPECIFIC transmission. People running 500+hp on stock trannies still use this. So by going the other route you aren't gaining anything. You are only shortening the life of your tranny.

Back to auto trannies, just use the honda atf. Why are people so against it? To save $5 ony to spend $1000 to get a new tranny? It's not like there is a big difference in price and you only do it once a year if that.

Honda ATF
Honda MTF
Honda Coolant
Honda PS fluid

The only two fluids that you can use other brands with is brake fluid and oil. If you want to get crazy about it go to bobistheoilguy.com and read there. Endless info on it. Just use HONDA FLUIDS. You will still be able to eat for the month.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

castrol import atf does the job been running it for a year now. just change it at every interval and your golden.

Last edited by 661rex89si; 12-20-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL and how has it been better than Honda fluid?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
LOL and how has it been better than Honda fluid?
might not be Honda atf but it works and i haven't seen any damage. and trust me it was recommended to me by a Honda transmission guru which is all i trust. exp over what you have read and heard goes a long way man. as far as i know Honda mtf actually sucks now a days. i do use oem Honda ps fluid if that makes you happy. oh yeah i use 10w30 in my si transmission for the last 6 years and no grinds or pop out so im fine with non oem fluid. I like to follow my helms as much as possible and i do believe that some transmissions can be harmed by using other fluids. but in my experience i have no negative issues doing what im doing. don't get me wrong Honda atf is the best for auto's but some alternatives work just as good and don't cause issues. cants say the same for Honda mtf though not as good.

hell my ladies lexus rx300 doesnt even use Toyota atf either lol Valvoline maxlife atf all day baby and nothing is wrong shifts smooth no issues.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d
Honda ATF ONLY for AUTOS
Honda MTF ONLY for MANUALS

anything else will destroy the s*** out of it...
do you have exp using anything different by any chance?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have experience/proof that honda mtf ruins honda/acura manual transmissions? It may be working, but i'm sure you are shortening the life of the unit. Your car, you can do what you want but the majority stick with the honda aft/mtf and have no problems.

Honda/Acura auto trannies are glass anyway so why take the chance?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out question #6
http://valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/...age-motor-oil/
Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have experience/proof that honda mtf ruins honda/acura manual transmissions? It may be working, but i'm sure you are shortening the life of the unit. Your car, you can do what you want but the majority stick with the honda aft/mtf and have no problems.

Honda/Acura auto trannies are glass anyway so why take the chance?
the new mtf is shittier then the older one ask anyone . Im not shortening the life 6 years on 10w30 and no issues not even a hiccup from my transmission . again you dont have exp using other fluids so you cant speak. i never said honda atf was bad i said its the best but there is good alternatives as long as you change them.

the new Honda mtf breaks down easier so must be changed a lot sooner every 10-15 k miles.its not the best by any means then again if its a DD then i guess it fine.

but we are talking about ATF here. I just hate people who come in here with no experience whats so ever out side the box.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You still have yet to prove anything. Who should I ask about Honda MTF? Should I ask the service technicians? The supplier? The team who developed it?

Also, there are no alternatives to honda atf. Some say other synthetic atf will work but nobody I know, or I would ever take the chance to do so.

The POINT here is use what is recomended. Honda builds QUALITY cars and they use QUALITY parts/fluids. Yes, you can use motor oil in your MT but why? How is it better? You can't answer these questions.

I'm simply backing up the fact that OEM fluids will work fine. With regular fluid changes there shouldn't be any problems. If it is found that the Honda fluid caused the problem I'm sure they would cover it under that effect. Then again once you get over 100k miles on any mechanical part it can fail due to wear. No fluid stops wear alltogether.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your directing it to me you must learn to read i use maxlife on my wifes lexus because its can be used as a alternate to typeIV toyota atf. i was using that as an example that even on a lexus im in the clear using alternative. I recommend outside of Honda ATF castrol import atf. I know how to read the back of a quart of ATF bro. if this wasn't directed towards me then disregard.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You still have yet to prove anything. Who should I ask about Honda MTF? Should I ask the service technicians? The supplier? The team who developed it?

Also, there are no alternatives to honda atf. Some say other synthetic atf will work but nobody I know, or I would ever take the chance to do so.

The POINT here is use what is recomended. Honda builds QUALITY cars and they use QUALITY parts/fluids. Yes, you can use motor oil in your MT but why? How is it better? You can't answer these questions.

I'm simply backing up the fact that OEM fluids will work fine. With regular fluid changes there shouldn't be any problems. If it is found that the Honda fluid caused the problem I'm sure they would cover it under that effect. Then again once you get over 100k miles on any mechanical part it can fail due to wear. No fluid stops wear alltogether.
man im going to take what you say with a grain of salt your too stubborn and you dont know how to read. so I will ignore you unless you come back with a derogatory remark.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jaydeep
I am planning to change tranny fluid with Valvoline max-life. Did anyone used that in civic auto tranny? Any feedback will be appreciated.
learn to read the back of atf bottles cause that is not a correct alternative. if your doing it with alternative ATF use castrol import atf.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looked up Castrol Import atf found this:

■Recommended for use in vehicles that require:
■Honda, Acura — ATF–Z1

ATF-Z1 has been phased out. ATF DW-1 has replaced it. It is new/improved and different than Z1. So Castrol has not met the NEW requirements of Honda/Acura ATF.

USE HONDA ATF, there is NO REASON NOT TO.

Also, about the lexus, I don't know enough about their recomendations on ATF. Although I would be willing to bet there is no improvement over using their OEM fluid as well.

The quote for ? # 6 is for anyone here that thinks they can/should use valvoline max life atf in their honda.

Taking a **** inside the transmission might not harm it, but would you do it anyway?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ah the stupidity is mind blowing anyway the floor is yours guru lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valvoline Max-life in AUTO tranny?