Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

alternative to hood pins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternative to hood pins?

i searched and didnt know what to use for a keyword other than "carbon fiber hood" which brought up 900+...so anyways are there any alternatives to hood pins for holding down a cf hood. has anyone rigged something the maybe comes horizontal instead of vertical and hooks on to something under the hood. I really dislike the way hood pins destroy the cleanliness of a cf hood, but i also dont want my hood to go flying up on my windshield. does anyone sell anything to accomplish what im talking about? if not, i will probably try and rig something up on my own, but i would rather buy something made for it.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: alternative to hood pins? (alacard)

pins are your best bet. anything else will add too much complication. you could always put the stock hood on and not have to worry about it....
Old 01-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternative to hood pins? (Rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pins are your best bet. anything else will add too much complication. you could always put the stock hood on and not have to worry about it.... </TD></TR></TABLE>
im fine with too much complication as long as in the end there are no holes on the top of my hood
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally don't have an answer for you. But maybe if you also post this topic in the appearence and cosmetic forum you could get some help there too. I understand where you are coming from though, I like the smooth lines.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jakester9500)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jakester9500 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally don't have an answer for you. But maybe if you also post this topic in the appearence and cosmetic forum you could get some help there too. I understand where you are coming from though, I like the smooth lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah...i thought about it, but the a/c forum is more of "wow that looks cool, you should paint it blue" not "you will need to get some pins from here and some bolts from here and rig it on the side by the fender.." you know what i mean?...if i dont get an answer here, i will try there.

anyways, someone has to have figured out some kind of latch that is not visible from the outside.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: alternative to hood pins? (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im fine with too much complication as long as in the end there are no holes on the top of my hood </TD></TR></TABLE>

If there are no holes on the top of your hood, it isn't going to be secured properly, regardless of what complicated solution you come up with. Aerocatch pins are the closest you'll find to an invisible setup, but the security they provide is still not as good as that of conventional pins, in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alacard)

Velcro is your friend!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u can get the hood lock ones that actually can lock with a key..its kinda a bitch to put on but it looks nice...requires u to rivet some holes tho
Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (ekb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u can get the hood lock ones that actually can lock with a key..its kinda a bitch to put on but it looks nice...requires u to rivet some holes tho</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are not an acceptable alternative to actual hood pins, and the packaging on those hood locks even states this.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Padawan)

becareful with those hood locks

i ordered some from a place on ebay.
the first set they sent on one lock opened with the 4 keys they provided

the second set neither lock opened with the 4 keys provided.
those things are crap. i'm not sure i'd trust them to hold on my hood. at least the ones you buy off ebay.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can toss a seam of Duct Tape along all three creases if you're really concerned. It won't look pretty, but it'll work perfectly and there won't be any holes to deal with.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just kind of figured that the other forum would be of some assistance because it seems all of those guys know how to keep smooth body lines and all of that
Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it should be possible to hook up anothing latch on the front.

i've never understood why a vis or another reputable manufacturers hood would fly up....it has the same locking mechanism as a stock hood.

i've seen cheap hoods fly up on friends cars though..

you could always go for a caribeener? on the latch....least if it pops up that would catch it.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've never understood why a vis or another reputable manufacturers hood would fly up....it has the same locking mechanism as a stock</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, many hoods feature a stock-type latch. However, the latch is almost always integrated into some sort of skeleton that is then bonded to the top skin of the hood. If the latch pulls out of the skeleton, or the skeleton breaks away from the hood skin, the results aren't good. Honestly, if you're willing to install a large piece of unpainted carbon fibre on your car, I don't see why you'd be unwilling to use hood pins with it.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

couldn't you use a stock latch from ur stock hood and some way mount it on there,, i mean idk,, just a though
Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (cwf1988)

No, as I stated above.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, many hoods feature a stock-type latch. However, the latch is almost always integrated into some sort of skeleton that is then bonded to the top skin of the hood. If the latch pulls out of the skeleton, or the skeleton breaks away from the hood skin, the results aren't good. Honestly, if you're willing to install a large piece of unpainted carbon fibre on your car, I don't see why you'd be unwilling to use hood pins with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My vis hood does this, going on 3+ years with no problems (knock on wood) with no hood pins. That's a scary thought though, I'll be honest and say I haven't really thought about them until now.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (leeminho86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leeminho86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My vis hood does this, going on 3+ years with no problems (knock on wood) with no hood pins. That's a scary thought though, I'll be honest and say I haven't really thought about them until now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure, there are many people who drive around with no pins and no problems. However, there are also many people who've had hoods from various manufactures fly up and cause significant damage (or worse). It really isn't something you want to risk, considering you can find a decent set of hood pins for around $25.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, as I stated above. </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh sorry man
Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so having some kind of mechanism with a horizontal pin maybe going into some part of the middle of the hood wouldnt be holding it down properly?.

and i personally like the hood to be clean and smooth without these metal deals sticking out of the front of it. that is my opinion. other people like hood pins and think they look cool. to each his own. im just trying to figure out if there is an alternative for the people like me
Old 01-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so having some kind of mechanism with a horizontal pin maybe going into some part of the middle of the hood wouldnt be holding it down properly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it wouldn't, because the top skin of the hood would still be unsecured.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and i personally like the hood to be clean and smooth without these metal deals sticking out of the front of it. that is my opinion. other people like hood pins and think they look cool. to each his own. im just trying to figure out if there is an alternative for the people like me</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're entitled to your opinion, but hood pins aren't a cosmetic modification, they're an important safety feature when using a C/F hood. As I said, there is no alternative that won't pierce the top of the hood and still perform the intended function.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright. i wasnt aware that it wouldnt be functioning the same as a vertical hood pin. i guess i will just have to fork it over and drill into the hood.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Darth ModerVader

Did you check out the link I provided to the Aerocatch pins? They may be the most acceptable compromise for you. Otherwise, there are traditional pins available in black, which would blend in better with the hood.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

reverse mount your hood.. originality and functionallity