Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START?

well, today i went to go to work and when i went to start my car, it wouldn't start.
i held down the key, and the i heard this weird almost banging noise. then the CEL came on. i didn't had time to check at home so i went and popped the clutch.

when i got to work i went ahead and checked for codes.
then i got a:

code 80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow detected.

what does this mean? would this prevent my car from starting? or is it because i held the key down to long? what does this cause? and how do i fix it?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START? (philosofy1)

what kind of car? EGR would make it start hard.... i think.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START? (USDMej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what kind of car? EGR would make it start hard.... i think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry about that, it is a 93 hatch w/ a jdm b16a (p30 ecu). i also went from auto to manual if that helps.

egr? makes sense. where would that be on the b16?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START? (philosofy1)

BUMP
Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUMP</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hello?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is there life out there?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your cat must be f ed up! take it out and strip it!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START? (ek-j)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek-j &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your cat must be f ed up! take it out and strip it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like ur exhaust is clogged *** backwards.

I don't recall ever seeing that code though.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START? (ek-j)

code 80?
has anyone ever got this before?
what was the cause?
how did you fix it?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM
sal
Honda-Tech Member

Just like the 2 people above me just said, your cat probably went bad. Disconnect it from your exhaust manifold and see if the car starts when its disconnected. If it does start either replace the cat or hollow yours out.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

clogged cat = EGR code? doubtful at best. (worth a check though)

Is your P30 is chipped? IFAIK the JDM P30 code doesn't have EGR code in it. So setting the CEL is a sign of something else.
I know this sounds like a noob question... but are you 100% positive that it's 80?

BTW: EGR CELs should not prevent the car from starting.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clogged cat = EGR code? doubtful at best. (worth a check though)

Is your P30 is chipped? IFAIK the JDM P30 code doesn't have EGR code in it. So setting the CEL is a sign of something else.
I know this sounds like a noob question... but are you 100% positive that it's 80?

BTW: EGR CELs should not prevent the car from starting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, when i went to start the car it wouldn't start. i held down the key for a couple seconds the 2nd time around and the CEL came on. i took my jumper to read the code and it gave me a 80 (long flashes =10 correct?).
Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clogged cat = EGR code? doubtful at best. (worth a check though)

BTW: EGR CELs should not prevent the car from starting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

by the way, no my p30 is not chipped. also where can i find the egr on the motor?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

there has to be someone out here who has gotten a code 80 and solved the problem.

right?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tried to respond... "This user has disabled instant messages."

USDM or JDM P30?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tried to respond... "This user has disabled instant messages."

USDM or JDM P30?</TD></TR></TABLE>

JDM P30 ecu.

also trying to fix the IM problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who did the auto-manual conversion?
I found a couple mentions that if the conversion is not done correctly it will cause EGR codes.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who did the auto-manual conversion?
I found a couple mentions that if the conversion is not done correctly it will cause EGR codes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did the the swap.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

swap? you mean mechanically?
I meant who did the auto-manual converison of the ECU?
or is that what you meant?

I'm so confused...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">swap? you mean mechanically?
I meant who did the auto-manual converison of the ECU?
or is that what you meant?

I'm so confused...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solbrothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think it's a manual ECM</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, i removed the automatic engine and replaced it with a manual one. as for the ecu, i did the same. i removed my auto ecu (P06) and replaced it with a manual ecu (JDM P30).

then i did the wiring for the ignition (you know, to start the car and remove the key). and that's all for wiring and electrical.

i have had the swap now for about 1 1/2 years. this is the second CEL i have gotten. the firsr was a map code, which was a easy fix.
__________________________________________________ __________________

this morning on the way to work it happened again. i had to pop the clutch to get it started. so far the car is starting after that. so i went ahead and replace my negative battery cable (ground) and the positive terminal, since they were kind of beat up.

now i noticed that if i leave it alone for a while, or the key in auxilary for about 5 min., there is a short delay before it cranks up. maybe about 2-3 seconds, if that.
shouldn't the car kick on right away once i turn the key.

i have now all new ground wire, alternator is about 6months old, as well as my battery. my starter is about 1yr. old.

someone help me out! it's driving me crazy.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt even know that was a code
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry I thought you meant that the ECU was converted from auto to manual. That gets rid of that train of thought.

delay when ignition is switched to start. It took me a few minutes to remember where I heard that one before...

the best way to test it is to take a volt meter and probe the starter signal wire (black/white)at the starter. When you switch to crank/start on the key it should have 12V on it instantly.
-If there is a delay like you describe it could be a faulty connection in the wiring or the ignition switch going out on you.
-If there isn't a delay but the car isn't cranking then it's the starter or battery connections.

Second test - remove the trim from around the column and probe the stater wire on the ignition switch (black/white wire)
-If the delay is still present it has to be the ignition switch.
-If it's not then it's the starter cut/neutral saftey switch setup.

more than likely the CEL you saw is a sign of this delay problem and not a literal problem with the non-existant EGR setup.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

by the way, no my p30 is not chipped. also where can i find the egr on the motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no EGR on a B16.
Does the starter actually crank the motor when you turn the key in the ignition?? Have you tried a test light to the signal wire going to the starter solenoid on the starter to see if it lights the bulb?? You may have a bad ign. switch. Get a friend to help out and get him to turn the ign switch while you look at the test light. Turn the key until it acts up.
Not all ecu codes will stop a car from starting. Did you clear the code and see if it comes back??
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rogue3221)

Are you sure its code 80 EGR insufficent flow and not 17 VSS. I've made the same mistake with the jumper wire method. Go get the code pulled at autozone for free before you spend any money.

Quick Reply: ALL HONDA GURU'S, CODE 80 - IS THIS WHY MY CAR WON'T START?