Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up

i dropped my car about two weeks ago. i have non adjustable apexi shocks and springs that drops my car so that i can fit about the size of a nickel between tire and fender.
so now i examine my tires and see that i have a big rip marks through the middle of my front tires. it totally ripped all the tread away from the middle of my tires. i see that if the ride is rough it hits the top of my wheel well where there is a long peice of metal sticking out (it is under the plastic peice). i dunno what it could be because the ride feels perfect. very confused if anyone has any info in fixing this problem let me know... besides replacing my suspension.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (ooairewreckoo)

I have not encountered this problem before. I dropped with h&r race springs with a heavy motor up front. The wheels actually tuck into the fenders. Did you put in bumpstops on your shocks. Maybe your cars is bottoming way out and causing it to rub really hard on that peice of metal. Another idea you might consider is to take a hammer to the metal pinch. I imagine that the metal strip you talk about is some kind of pinch. If it is a pinch you can just bang it down flat. Thats it for my ideas......
Old 07-20-2003, 12:11 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (aw1234dude)

take some pics of it...maybe you can use a camber kit
Old 07-20-2003, 12:17 AM

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (ciRcuitSi)

did you get an alignment yet?
Old 07-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (aw1234dude)

aw... what are bump stops?? sorry for the stupid question i had these assembled when i got them and all i had to do was put them in. as far as banging it to smooth, ill think about that

i'll try to get some pix's up asap

nope no wheel alignment yet

thanx for replies
Old 07-20-2003, 07:23 AM

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (ooairewreckoo)

what size tires are u running?
Old 07-20-2003, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tire wear in the center of the tire means that your tires are over inflated. You would only have to worry about teh drop i fyour tires are wearing out on the sides, that would be an alighment issue. sounds like your tires are just over inflated.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:05 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ooairewreckoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aw... what are bump stops?? sorry for the stupid question i had these assembled when i got them and all i had to do was put them in. as far as banging it to smooth, ill think about that

i'll try to get some pix's up asap

nope no wheel alignment yet

thanx for replies </TD></TR></TABLE> bump stops are those little yellow things that are rubber on the shocks....they are about 2" long........i believe those prevent you from bottoming out...usually when you lower you cut about half of them off
Old 07-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (ciRcuitSi)

Get an alignment and have your toe set to 0.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:38 AM

maybe i jsut know what hes talking about because ive seen it happen so many times.
this is how to fix it, you need to roll your fenders.
take a die grinder and cut that seen every inch or so, then bang it up flush with a hammer. dont just cut it off, it will kill your rigidity.
when your bottoming out hard, or even just corning hard , that seem is like a knife cutting perfectly down the center of your tires. ive only seen it happen on 96and up honestly. but rolling them is a great fix!
Old 07-20-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (b20bastard)

i have no problems on my dropped 97 cx. maybe its ur tires?
Old 07-20-2003, 12:59 PM

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (b20bastard)

I had this problem on my 94 EX. I had the fenders rolled and that piece cut and hammered up in the middle of the wheel well. This fixed the problem for the most parts. It still rubs when cornering really hard.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (bigslimdog)

damn, I have the same thing going on with my tires too! so all you do is cut the middle? where the fender and part of the car under the wheel well?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (b20_EK)

that peice does seem pretty useless, but im still iffy about cutting things. does this problem mean we have bad shocks or something like that?? cuz this problem really sucks. ... wondering why this happens to some of us not all of us. ill try to get pictures for those who dont know what im taking about a lil later tonite (hopefully) .thanx for info guys.

tire specs im using: 185/60/15
Old 07-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem with my 96 hatch
Theres a metal lining that sticks out. You should have any problem under normal driving. When your smashing through corner is when you will have the problem. You can roll it up. Cause you dont have adjustable springs (I had GC, so I raised it a bit.) your just gonna have to roll them or stop the hard cornering
Old 07-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (ransack)

hmm I may not be any genius, but how bout if you simply get some kind of dremel, and dremel it out.. making it smooth. i know that I had a similar problem on my car, and all you need is to smooth it out.
It's where the two piece of metal join, and it's excess metal, so kinda like when they make the inside of your jeans, you have excess textile on the inside that the cut-out. Do the same thing on your car, simply smooth out the rough part under the fender you don't need to cut the whole thing out.. just remove a lot of the excess metal.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (TeckniX)

i had the same problem on my 1.6 EL @ 2.5" lowered

camber kit will not fix the problem, there is 2 ways you can fix the problem
1st is to raise the car a bit
2nd is to get stiffer springs

in my case i raise the car back to 2"
Old 07-21-2003, 02:42 PM

Default Re: all dropped 96+ civics.. have problem need help! tires being eaten up (TeckniX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeckniX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm I may not be any genius, but how bout if you simply get some kind of dremel, and dremel it out.. making it smooth. i know that I had a similar problem on my car, and all you need is to smooth it out.
It's where the two piece of metal join, and it's excess metal, so kinda like when they make the inside of your jeans, you have excess textile on the inside that the cut-out. Do the same thing on your car, simply smooth out the rough part under the fender you don't need to cut the whole thing out.. just remove a lot of the excess metal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

read my post. that is a seem, its there for a reason, you dont want to remove it.