Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

all cliches aside,I NEED HELP...searched,just left hanging

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all cliches aside,I NEED HELP...searched,just left hanging

I went in and read and was discussing a couple things with Katman but its been a while since he last replied and im stuck mid-swap.
what my problem is now is:
I have a 98 HX(OBD2a A/T) that im dropping a 94 LS(OBD1 A/T) into.
so i have the HX all the way down to where all i have to do is po the ball joints and unbolt the motor to remove it.Ive got everythin on the LS to same point exept i cant get the harness out.i read(just recently) that the two harness are designed differently.
Now im confused because i dont know why i was told to buy the jumper harness if the harness in the teg doesn't even disconnect the same way.On top of that im just wondering WTF im 'sposed to do about a harness period.
Has anyone been in a similar situation?More than anything i just need to get past this so i can get the car swapped and rolling so i can get it off my soon to be ex-bosses property.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: all cliches aside,I NEED HELP...searched,just left hanging (Capsule Kid)

Ehh. You may not be real happy here. Here's why:

The sweet Civic HX with "automatic" transmission is actually a CVT (continuously variable transmission). Because of this, it uses a proprietary (meaning it ONLY works on that junk CVT trans) engine harness. Now, if you got a harness with the TCM (transmission control module), you are OK because it should have some plugs that will plug in to your new swap. If you did not get this, you probably need to look into a couple other options:

1. 96-98 non VTEC automatic engine harness for your car. (you will have to convert the 3 wire IAC that this harness has to a 2 wire IAC; this is simple so don't worry about that)
2. 96-98 VTEC automatic engine harness for your car. (this will have the 2 wire IAC plug already but you'll end up with a couple of extra plugs. Knock sensor, vtec pressure, vtec solenoid. This is OK because if you ever decide to add a VTEC head, you already have the wiring.

With either of these harnesses, you still need to address your trans shifting. The Civic uses a throttle valve cable so the trans knows when to shift. The Integra trans uses a computer that senses engine load, throttle position, etc to tell the trans when to shift. You need to have this installed to get automatic operation. Boomslang used to make a harness for this but it required you to convert to OBD1 IIRC. You can also fab this harness yourself but it will take a little time. With patience and some factory manuals for wiring, you can do it.

Good luck. If you don't mind, please PM me what you found out on what's involved to make this B/auto setup bolt in your car. I'm considering doing this for my wife on a 98 EX 4 door but I want to know what has to be done to make it physically bolt in.

Ryan
Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all cliches aside,I NEED HELP...searched,just left hanging (RyanA)

wow,so youre telling me,im not mid-swap at all...lol
so i need to call my junk yards and look for like a 96-98 EX harness?
guess ill just disconnect the plugs in the bay and just get the motor out?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: all cliches aside,I NEED HELP...searched,just left hanging (Capsule Kid)

Now, as long as you don't need to use any of the transmission plugs on the harness, the HX should be fine actually. What I am saying is if you have a standalone trans harness, you coud re use the HX harness. The HX trans just operates different than a regular automatic trans. What does your gear selector show anyway? If it does not show D 2 1, you may also have to put a shifter from a regular auto car since that is where the ECU/TCM electronically gets its information on what gear is commanded.

Ryan
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: all cliches aside,I NEED HELP...searched,just left hanging (RyanA)

it says R N D S L
Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so does that mean ill have to transplant that from the integra too?