Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

alignment woes on em1 with eibach pro kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alignment woes on em1 with eibach pro kit

I've had Eibach Pro Kit springs installed for 30-35k miles. An alignment was done when it was installed and they warned me that I may have to get a camber or toe adjustment kit installed in order to get it aligned correctly. I experienced rapid tire wear on the tires that I had on the car at the time. I now have a budget to get this problem fixed and wanted to find out exactly what i need for this. The shop at the time of install quoted around $800-1000 to install camber/toe kits at all for corners. The wanted to install camber kits for all 4 corners and an eibach toe adjusters on the rear (around $700 in parts). What do you all think I actually need for this? I think my front tires alignment is fine, but the rear looks like it needs something. Here are some pics, side, rear-driver, rear-passenger, front-passenger:
Attached Images     
Old 03-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alignment woes on em1 with eibach pro kit

You shoulden't need anything to adjust the toe on the rear it has a factory adj that should have more then enough to dial in the rear toe unless something is bent or wornout at least I did. as far as a camber kit goes figure on around 200 for the front and about 100 for the rear plus install if you pay someone to do it. It isn't at all a difficult job it can take some time if things are rusted good luck. You are going to find that tire wear will greatly reduce once you get the toe of the car adjusted. That is not to say camber doesnt cause wear but toe will do more damage more quickly.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't believe you need a kit to adjust toe... and instructor is right. TOE eats tires faster then camber... hell alot of cars STOCK have a **** ton of negative camber. i would tell those ******** to set your toe to 0 or as close as possible..

i have about that much camber on my eg and i had my toe set as close to 0 as possible and my tire wear is just fine. no camber kit
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only adjustment that your car has stock is toe, and there ought to be plenty of adjustment in there to get it zeroed out. The ONLY reasons that they wouldn't be able to zero out toe on stock toe adjusters would be that you have a bent part or worn out bushings. There's no way that a 1.5" drop alone should throw it that far out. Same with caster. The only time that my toe and caster were that far out of spec was when I slid into a curb and bent a LCA. In that case, the fix wasn't to throw more shims at it, it was to replace the LCA.

As far as camber... at least on the rears, you ought to be able to adjust that yourself with a level, a straight edge, and a few washers. I've never messed with the fronts, so I don't know about those.

I would ask to see the alignment sheets and specs. A good shop should show them to you and give you a copy. It should look like a diagram of your car with the numbers on each wheel. I'm interested to see how far out it is that they tell you you need a toe kit with more adjustment than stock for a teensy 1.5" drop.

EDIT: Do you have pictures of the worn out tires that you removed? From the tread, we may be able to tell which adjustment is responsible for the excess wear. At least to me though, it doesn't look like you have enough camber to be killing tires with it.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
At least to me though, it doesn't look like you have enough camber to be killing tires with it.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It has been about 3 years since install. Sounds like I just need a proper alignment then. I will go with that first. Thanks for the info all.